Archived Topic

Good Year...Several Fun Wins...Now Back To Football

by sandiegoblue · 3/15/2012

Advertisement
S
sandiegoblue
Before the season began, I expected low to mid 20s in wins and figured we would possibly make it to the dance or at least a good seed in a consolation tournament. So to me, our getting in to the big dance was a big achievement. I also felt that if we somehow got at least one tournament win, it would be a terrific feat. Play in game or not, I am obviously quite pleased with this year's team and their fight to the finish. Those freshmen will get better and Hartsock/Abouo will be missed.



Thanks for a fun season Cougars!



Now on to the loooooooooooooooooooong wait for Football season.
M
Mars


26 wins, a W over Gonzaga, and a Tourny win (over Iona)? Plus Nevada, Oregon, Weber State, Utah, and Virginia Tech? I'm pleased with the season. And excited for next season too.
C
CougarClaw
Given what we had. Fantastic year. Our team was just not that good. To do what we did is shocking.
G
Gunk
I'm satisified with this year's bball season. We have a backcourt full of freshman and first season players. We did well considering. We competed on a national level.



Yes...onto football. Onto another 10 - 2 season, no wins against top 25 teams, and a no-name bowl against a middle of the pack BCS team. Yes!
B
BerliNY
CougarClaw wrote:
Given what we had. Fantastic year. Our team was just not that good. To do what we did is shocking.


Agreed. Ok, maybe not shockingly good, but a very very good year considering what we had to work with, especially in the backcourt.
Advertisement
B
beauso79
Gunk wrote:
I'm satisified with this year's bball season. We have a backcourt full of freshman and first season players. We did well considering. We competed on a national level.



Yes...onto football. Onto another 10 - 2 season, no wins against top 25 teams, and a no-name bowl against a middle of the pack BCS team. Yes!


Exact reason I'll take basketball over football every time. At least baseball's starting



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
E
EM_Puma
Good season Cougs. I wish Rose would figure out these teams that seem to explode on the Cougars. We at times recover, but many times the hemorage has been so extensive, we can't climb back.



Will there be someone as capable as Noah Hartsock was this season for us next season? We've got a good, good team, but I don't know that my expectations will exceed this year. The one nod I'll give Rose is that he's done very well recruiting and it's not every team that can have so many successive years of such prosperity.



I'm simply not ready for FB and I haven't followed it much this spring. I guess in my age I've learned that there is always so much hyperbole flying that doesn't equate to the level of expectation. I am expecting BYU FB to be a notch above what we saw this last season. I believe that is easy to say.
A
ABYUFAN
Gunk wrote:
I'm satisified with this year's bball season. We have a backcourt full of freshman and first season players. We did well considering. We competed on a national level.



Yes...onto football. Onto another 10 - 2 season, no wins against top 25 teams, and a no-name bowl against a middle of the pack BCS team. Yes!

Do you prefer the 4-8 season with rape scandals, or the 8-4 seasons we enjoyed in the WAC, and MWC? BYU hasn't regressed to its current situation, if this situation bothers you, USC, Florida, and Texas have plenty of room on their bandwagons
G
Gunk
ABYUFAN wrote:
I'm satisified with this year's bball season. We have a backcourt full of freshman and first season players. We did well considering. We competed on a national level.



Yes...onto football. Onto another 10 - 2 season, no wins against top 25 teams, and a no-name bowl against a middle of the pack BCS team. Yes!

Do you prefer the 4-8 season with rape scandals, or the 8-4 seasons we enjoyed in the WAC, and MWC? BYU hasn't regressed to its current situation, if this situation bothers you, USC, Florida, and Texas have plenty of room on their bandwagons


Ummm...Bronco did better than 8 - 4 in the MWC.



I like the consistency. It's great. Going 10 - 2 every year is a solid platform to build off of.



Let me ask you. Would you prefer going 10 - 2 every season, landing in a bowl against some 4th or 5th placed BCS team, or would you prefer 8-4 for a couple of years and then going 12 - 0 and competing in a BCS bowl on a national stage? Going 10 - 2 doesn't get us on a national stage in football and never will. 8 - 4 seasons followed by a great 12 - 0 season every now and then would.
A
ABYUFAN
Gunk wrote:
Gunk wrote:
I'm satisified with this year's bball season. We have a backcourt full of freshman and first season players. We did well considering. We competed on a national level.



Yes...onto football. Onto another 10 - 2 season, no wins against top 25 teams, and a no-name bowl against a middle of the pack BCS team. Yes!

Do you prefer the 4-8 season with rape scandals, or the 8-4 seasons we enjoyed in the WAC, and MWC? BYU hasn't regressed to its current situation, if this situation bothers you, USC, Florida, and Texas have plenty of room on their bandwagons


Ummm...Bronco did better than 8 - 4 in the MWC.



I like the consistency. It's great. Going 10 - 2 every year is a solid platform to build off of.



Let me ask you. Would you prefer going 10 - 2 every season, landing in a bowl against some 4th or 5th placed BCS team, or would you prefer 8-4 for a couple of years and then going 12 - 0 and competing in a BCS bowl on a national stage? Going 10 - 2 doesn't get us on a national stage in football and never will. 8 - 4 seasons followed by a great 12 - 0 season every now and then would.


I'd rather have a million bucks, but that wasn't addressed in your original post... I understood your original post to be a shot against the football team, for things outside of their control. If I was being too snippy, then I should apologize...
Advertisement
G
Gunk
ABYUFAN wrote:
ABYUFAN wrote:
I'm satisified with this year's bball season. We have a backcourt full of freshman and first season players. We did well considering. We competed on a national level.



Yes...onto football. Onto another 10 - 2 season, no wins against top 25 teams, and a no-name bowl against a middle of the pack BCS team. Yes!

Do you prefer the 4-8 season with rape scandals, or the 8-4 seasons we enjoyed in the WAC, and MWC? BYU hasn't regressed to its current situation, if this situation bothers you, USC, Florida, and Texas have plenty of room on their bandwagons


Ummm...Bronco did better than 8 - 4 in the MWC.



I like the consistency. It's great. Going 10 - 2 every year is a solid platform to build off of.



Let me ask you. Would you prefer going 10 - 2 every season, landing in a bowl against some 4th or 5th placed BCS team, or would you prefer 8-4 for a couple of years and then going 12 - 0 and competing in a BCS bowl on a national stage? Going 10 - 2 doesn't get us on a national stage in football and never will. 8 - 4 seasons followed by a great 12 - 0 season every now and then would.


I'd rather have a million bucks, but that wasn't addressed in your original post... I understood your original post to be a shot against the football team, for things outside of their control. If I was being too snippy, then I should apologize...


Winning is outside of the football team's control?



My original post was a shot at the football team. They have competed on no larger stage than the Las Vegas Bowl in recent years. They are hardly the beacon of post season excellence.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.