Archived Topic

Carlino sucked

by AJP · 3/15/2012

Advertisement
A
AJP
He almost cost us the game Tuesday and he committed horrible turnovers that got us into another large hole today. Cusick > Carlino



Edit: Before anyone jumps down my throat, I don't hate the kid or anything, and I know it obviously wasn't just him hurting us, but those turnovers are killers.
J
Jarhead
AJP wrote:
He almost cost us the game Tuesday and he committed horrible turnovers that got us into another large hole today. Cusick > Carlino



Edit: Before anyone jumps down my throat, I don't hate the kid or anything, and I know it obviously wasn't just him hurting us, but those turnovers are killers.


When your point guard is fumbling the ball, making silly mistakes, it quickly spreads to the rest of the team. As they say, good guard play whens in the NCAA tournament. There is no excuse for us not being able to have good guard play.
M
mizzoucoug
Yeah, he is a TO machine. And he's also our PG so that just doesn't work. I refrain from judging too much because he is only a freshman and we asked him to be a starter. That is a rare thing. My prediction is that this is the weakest team we put on the floor for the next 4 years. Progress my friends.
I
Isola
If you don't want people to jump down your throat then don't start threads with one of our players and then "Sucks".



I think that Cusick has outplayed Carlino, especially lately, but I take issue with saying any of our players suck.
I
Isola
mizzoucoug wrote:
My prediction is that this is the weakest team we put on the floor for the next 4 years. Progress my friends.

I agree. I thought this year was going to be a rebuilding year. I think this is the floor for the program under Rose, and for that I am pleased.
Advertisement
B
beauso79
He's a freshman for pete's sake
B
beauso79
mizzoucoug wrote:
Yeah, he is a TO machine. And he's also our PG so that just doesn't work. I refrain from judging too much because he is only a freshman and we asked him to be a starter. That is a rare thing. My prediction is that this is the weakest team we put on the floor for the next 4 years. Progress my friends.


You really think we'll be better next year?? I just don't see it. Especially if Rogers and C.C. don't return
M
mizzoucoug
beauso79 wrote:
Yeah, he is a TO machine. And he's also our PG so that just doesn't work. I refrain from judging too much because he is only a freshman and we asked him to be a starter. That is a rare thing. My prediction is that this is the weakest team we put on the floor for the next 4 years. Progress my friends.


You really think we'll be better next year?? I just don't see it. Especially if Rogers and C.C. don't return


Haws is back next year. He's the shooter we needed this season. I don't know who else we have coming in but that is a big deal.
G
Guest
Cusick is the more consistent PG and should have been playing the lion's share of the minutes in the tournament, Carlino is the flashy future. Unfortunately, he ended the year as the big Carlin-over.



I'm hoping that he will become more consistent and be the guard he can be in the future.
D
Dcr36
mizzoucoug wrote:
mizzoucoug wrote:
Yeah, he is a TO machine. And he's also our PG so that just doesn't work. I refrain from judging too much because he is only a freshman and we asked him to be a starter. That is a rare thing. My prediction is that this is the weakest team we put on the floor for the next 4 years. Progress my friends.


You really think we'll be better next year?? I just don't see it. Especially if Rogers and C.C. don't return


Haws is back next year. He's the shooter we needed this season. I don't know who else we have coming in but that is a big deal.


There's a lot of variables next year - how much improvement our young guards show, how much mission rust Haws has accumulated, if Rodgers and Collinsworth recover, etc.



There's definitely the pieces for a strong team.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
G
Gunk
Carlino is a freshman. I put his mistakes more on Rose's shoulders than Carlino's.



Rose, for whatever reason, kept playing Carlino who routinely shot bricks and turned it over. I don't get it. We pull within reach, Carlino either turns it over or rushes a shot that he misses and Rose keeps him in.



We come back from a 25 point deficit on Tuesday with Carlino on the bench, so when behind a similarly athletic team, Rose decides to play Carlino.



Carlino has some areas to improve on:



Over the top passes - these are turnovers every time

Recognizing traps - teams love to trap Carlino because he recognizes it too late or for whatever reason decides to keep dribbling. Cusick doesn't get trapped because the moment a second defender even gets close Cusick passes it off.

Rushed shots - Rose should implement a pass first rule with Carlino till he learns to control himself. Before he takes a shot, unless it's a fast break, he should be required to make at least one pass.
M
Mars


1- 1st on the team in Assists, 3rd in scoring.

2- Low basketball IQ. Lacks patience, vision.

3- Just a freshman. Three more years to improve.
S
scott715
Actually redshirt freshman. And young like 18 years old. How about sending him on a mission to mature? lol I know he is not LDS.
B
BerliNY
I like Carlino, he doesn't suck and I think he's going to be great. He's struggled with high pressure defenses and teams have really attacked him because of it. We got spoiled watching Jackson and Jimmer for years. Carlino is no Jimmer nor Jackson, but he certainly doesn't suck.
B
ByuIcoug
Lol people using the freshman excuse. But members of CC murdered Heaps when he was a freshman and a couple games into his sophomore year. Harrison is a freshman and played well. Carlino needs to learn how to dribble and take care of the ball. Cusick should have been playing over Carlino big mistake from Rose.
Advertisement
M
Mars
ByuIcoug wrote:
Lol people using the freshman excuse. But... Harrison is a freshman and played well. Carlino needs to learn how to dribble and take care of the ball.

I find this to be a little ironic, considering the roles these two players had on the team this year.
S
snoscythe
If a guy (any guy) goes 4-17 from the floor, 1-7 from three, gets 13 points, and posts a 6-11 assist-to-turnover ratio in 52 minutes with a tournament +/- of -28 (a -42 Roland Rating to boot) as a point guard in the NCAA tournament, I have no problem with someone observing that he sucks.



By way of comparison, Cusick's +/- for the tournament was +19 (+52 Roland Rating), and he was 3-9 from the floor, 3-5 from three, 12 points, a 10-2 assist to turnover ratio, and 55 minutes played.



What was most frustrating about this game was our personnel choices. It was as if Rose didn't even watch the first game. How the hell do you only give Harrison 4 meaningful minutes when Abuou is playing that poorly after what Harrison did on Tuesday night? Why does Carlino get 32 minutes when he plays the same way that got him benched on Tuesday night? It was as if Coach Rose watched the second half on Tuesday, and then ignored anything and everything he saw.
G
Gunk
snoscythe wrote:
If a guy (any guy) goes 4-17 from the floor, 1-7 from three, gets 13 points, and posts a 6-11 assist-to-turnover ratio in 52 minutes with a tournament +/- of -28 (a -42 Roland Rating to boot) as a point guard in the NCAA tournament, I have no problem with someone observing that he sucks.



By way of comparison, Cusick's +/- for the tournament was +19 (+52 Roland Rating), and he was 3-9 from the floor, 3-5 from three, 12 points, a 10-2 assist to turnover ratio, and 55 minutes played.



What was most frustrating about this game was our personnel choices. It was as if Rose didn't even watch the first game. How the hell do you only give Harrison 4 meaningful minutes when Abuou is playing that poorly after what Harrison did on Tuesday night? Why does Carlino get 32 minutes when he plays the same way that got him benched on Tuesday night? It was as if Coach Rose watched the second half on Tuesday, and then ignored anything and everything he saw.


Exactly.



Blame lies on Rose. He went with the same line up that got us in a 25 point hole against Iona, and rather than quickly realize he made the same mistake twice he continues playing sub par athletes and performers significant min. It's on Rose.



Does Carlino rush shots and turn the ball over more than he does something good with it, yes. But Rose is the one that kept playing him while Winder, Harrison and Cusick have been playing the best ball of their careers. Loss is on Rose. Poor coaching on Rose.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
T
tmoney35
I just wish someone, somewhere had a good explanation for the personnel choices Rose made that the last couple of posts have brought up.



I can't think of one
M
Mars
snoscythe wrote:
If a guy (any guy) goes 4-17 from the floor, 1-7 from three, gets 13 points, and posts a 6-11 assist-to-turnover ratio in 52 minutes with a tournament +/- of -28 (a -42 Roland Rating to boot) as a point guard in the NCAA tournament, I have no problem with someone observing that he sucks.

Boy did Jimmer suck a sucky suck in his last NCAA Tourny game. What a sucky suck he is. Suck.



I guess the rest of the season means nothing. Very level-headed of us all. Not that I'm saying that Carlino doesn't have some major weaknesses (he does), but I also think that he can work on them and improve. Haws at the 3 next year and younger Collinsworth at the 2 in 2 years will only give him the support that he badly needs, and never had in Zylstra/Abouo.
Page 1 of 4
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.