Archived Topic

BYU to the Final 4

by AggieWeekendCougar · 3/15/2012

Advertisement
A
AggieWeekendCougar
:lol:



In reality, I filled in my bracket by doing the following computation.

1) Found the collective win percentage over the last 3 years and multiplied by 100

2) Assigned point per tournament win last year (1 point for NCAA, 0.5 for NIT, 0.25 for crap tournaments) and multiplied by 10



Using this formula, it has Kentucky, K-State, Ohio State and BYU in the final 4. Some of BYU's success was due to the fact that according to this computation, after Marquette their path was Murray State, Florida, New Mexico (which are all winnable games if they are playing right).
M
Mars


Your numbers probably reflect better on last season than this. Lose a great player and you're not the same team. Like Butler.
A
AggieWeekendCougar
I was surprised to see that many of the teams that won 1-2 games last year are not in the tournament this year. You are right, maybe I should have weighted this years winning percentage higher. I will go try that now, although I still want to reward tournament wins last year in some manner.
B
BerliNY
AggieWeekendCougar wrote:
I was surprised to see that many of the teams that won 1-2 games last year are not in the tournament this year. You are right, maybe I should have weighted this years winning percentage higher. I will go try that now, although I still want to reward tournament wins last year in some manner.


Try multiplying the number of tourney wins from last year by the number of returning starters from that team and then multiply that number by a weighting factor. You could go back two or even three years and do the same thing.
T
tmoney35
That sounds like way too much work for me haha. My choices aren't mathematical, but I do give a heavier weight to teams that performed really well in their conference tournaments and teams that I've seen play this year.
Advertisement
M
Mars
BerliNY wrote:
Try multiplying the number of tourney wins from last year by the number of returning starters from that team and then multiply that number by a weighting factor. You could go back two or even three years and do the same thing.

How about, total wins this season X tourny wins last year X percentage of scoring returning x percentage of scoring still healthy and eligible going into March Madness. Should be easy right? And perhaps decently accurate too.



:)
T
tmoney35
What is the multiple of madness in that equation?
I
IowaCougar
For the first time in a long time I didn't even fill in a bracket. It's amazing how free I now feel to root for underdogs!
C
CougarClaw
so much for YOUR bracket.



BUSTED! lol
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.