Archived Topic

BCS Championship for Basketball

by byufan4ever · 3/15/2012

Advertisement
B
byufan4ever
This basketball fan actually thinks that there should be a BCS championship for basketball:



http://www.drivethelane.com/bask/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14210


I believe this is my third year in a row here pushing for a BCS Style National Championship for NCAA Division I basketball Championship. This year, I would like to see Syracuse vs Kentucky play for the National Championship.



And for those who love the current format, I propose we take teams #3 through #68 and play a 66 team tournament to crown the 2012 Tournament Championship.



Because we'll get a BCS Format without sacrificing the tournament, it should be a win-win for everyone.


I have to believe that he's in the very very small minority...
J
Jarhead
Man that is stupid. The reward for a successful season is a luxury seed in the tournament. That is how virtually every championship system works.



The only sport in which I would can understand limiting the tournament is Major League Baseball. After 162 games, and getting a chance to play every one in your league multiple times; I'd be fine with going back to the old system of having the teams with the best records in the NL and the AL play each other for the world series. I'm not saying I'm a proponent of that method, but at the same time I'd be fine with it.
J
Jarhead
And by the way, the argument that the NCAA tournament cheapens the regular season for basketball is nonsense. Without the NCAA tournament, there still wouldn't be anyone that cares much about the regular season, and then to top it off, not nearly as many would care about the championship game(s) except for the teams involved.



The reason not many care about the regular season in basketball is because it's basketball. Football is king in America, and I don't see the NFL suffering for lack of interest in their regular season. In fact when more teams have a chance to play in the post season tournament, it means that there are more fans which will be watching games with interest, especially late in the season, hoping their team will get that chance. Having no playoffs means that there are a select few regular season games which have more meaning in general, but than a vast majority of the games late in the season have much less meaning than they otherwise would have.



At least, that's my two cents.
S
Schmoe
The #1 overall seed has won what, once out of the past ten years?
S
SpiffCoug
What about having the Final Four be like a three-game series?
Advertisement
B
BerliNY
SpiffCoug wrote:
What about having the Final Four be like a three-game series?


Interesting, very interesting in fact, but I think I'd still prefer it the way it is. Leave the series to the pros.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.