Archived Topic

OL depth chart

by scott715 · 3/10/2012

Advertisement
S
scott715
Someone on rumor board has a depth chart. Here is the link

http://byuroster.com/depth-chart/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



Here is what he has for our line



RT B Brown, Yeck, Lawlor, Anae

RG B Hansen, Stringham, Motley, K Johnson, Crawford

C Tushaus, Alleto, Crichton, Wilcox

LG H Reynolds, Vaitai, Kahaial'l, Freeman, Hoyt

LT R Mathews, Kafu, c Karufusi, Vakalahi,
B
beauso79
Hopefully our center play improves this year



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
SpiffCoug
I hope so too. A lot of the pressure we faced came right up the middle.
L
Lawboy
Our center play and left guard play last year were poor. Especially against faster teams, then they really suffered. Interesting to me to see Tushaus as the starter at center already as a RS sophomore from that 2010 class. He is right on schedule(no mission).



Only issue I see is H. Reynolds at LT. He also struggled there last year, but did have surgery this offseason, so hoping he recovers. IF not, it could be a weak spot on the line. But I love the depth, which is getting better and better with the Oline.
S
scott715
TBS has a free article on Tushaus at C. I don't know if he is ready or not but he is getting lots of reps right now.
Advertisement
B
byucougar1
He has been strictly playing center on scout team, etc. so that that has been his primary focus (in HS and at BYU).
T
trueblue72
At 280 tushaus is light in the butt. Good technique only takes you so far when you're out-weighed by 40 or more pounds. It wouldn't surprise me to see Reynolds back at center with the big return missionary at LG (his name is escaping me) and Matthews at LT. Unless Blair puts on some lbs in the off-season look for him to stay at the back up spot.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
L
Lawboy
Most centers are smaller dudes now that can move. 280 is still a big center, just that we had a fat dude the last few years at BYU, and that is not normal. The Pouncey brothers are both at 300 lbs, so 20 is not hat far off. And I'd take a kid that can move better at 280 than one that is bigger but slower at 300. Especially in a zone blocking scheme.
T
trueblue72
280 is not a big center, having a center that can move is nice. The NFL guys like pounceys are pulling centers. Our centers reach block but do not pull. Also having played college ball as an o lineman I can tell you there is a difference in 20 pounds.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Y
Y 4 Ever
SpiffCoug wrote:
I hope so too. A lot of the pressure we faced came right up the middle.


Heck, forget about the pressure - remember how bad just the snaps were the first few games of the year? The ball was fluttering back there when Heaps or Nelson were in shotgun.
Advertisement
Y
Y 4 Ever
trueblue72 wrote:
280 is not a big center, having a center that can move is nice. The NFL guys like pounceys are pulling centers. Our centers reach block but do not pull. Also having played college ball as an o lineman I can tell you there is a difference in 20 pounds.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


As a guy that weighs 160 soaking wet who never played fball past highschool, I can tell you that it doesn't matter to me if a guy weights 280 or 300 - either way I'm getting pancaked. :P
B
byucougar1
As a running back who followed the OL, I recognize the following traits that are essential for OL to ward off would be tacklers:



OL have to "get off the ball," or, in other words, move with great quickness on the snap count.

Assignment sound - very smart on their defensive alignment reads and tendencies.

Balance - need to be nimble and not easily thrown off stance.

They had better have very strong legs, hips and back with great footwor/blocking technique in order to push back/drive and blunt the attack.

Attitude - must have a nasty streak that they will not yield or be beaten.



I am sure there are other traits - but that being said - how many of these characteristics does Tushaus have?
T
trueblue72
Due to riley's lack of verticalness, I wonder if we see the oline open their splits up more in order to create larger passing lanes? I think we'll see more cut blocks in order to get RN more visibility and get the DL hands down.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.