Archived Topic

Bad News for John Beck

by snoscythe · 3/10/2012

Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
Bad News for John Beck is never played well in the NFL.
D
Ddawg
Yeah - I read that article this morning and thought - "Wow, Redskin management & Coach Shanahan have sold the farm to get Griffin. They are really committed to this guy."



It may work out - and it may not. Nobody knows. But, it means the Redskins are not satisfied with John Beck. Too bad. I've always hoped John would get a break and become a starter. I think he has the talent. I guess I'm wrong.
S
SpiffCoug
Beck got two breaks to be a starter and he flubbed both of them. Yes he was on bad teams in poor situations, but in neither case did he show well. So now he can become the experienced backup who can teach a young gun how to play.
A
a1247
How about he come home and be the qb coach?



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
C
CougarClaw
bad qb or not, look what Payton Manning did for the Colts.
Y
Y12
SpiffCoug wrote:
Beck got two breaks to be a starter and he flubbed both of them. Yes he was on bad teams in poor situations, but in neither case did he show well. So now he can become the experienced backup who can teach a young gun how to play.


Maybe it is just because his BYU career went this way, but I have always felt that Beck needed to spend 3 or 4 years with a team to become experienced/familiar with the team and the system to really thrive in the NFL.



I hope Beck can hang around for a few more years and if RG3 flops, they will give Beck a second chance and he will excel then.
S
SpiffCoug
At which point Beck is then a 32,33-year-old QB still hoping his third break will be the charm?



Sorry, teams won't be willing to commit to the future with a guy that old. Beck's best career now is to be a serviceable back-up. Which he really hasn't proven he can be. Maybe this third year he can show that at Washington.



Beck's career is pretty much written at this point. I'm trying to think of another QB who has followed Beck's path and then succeeded (bounced around three teams, 30+ in age, then things finally clicked for him).
S
scott715
How about playing for a team that has some semblence of a OL?
Y
Y12
SpiffCoug wrote:
At which point Beck is then a 32,33-year-old QB still hoping his third break will be the charm?



Sorry, teams won't be willing to commit to the future with a guy that old. Beck's best career now is to be a serviceable back-up. Which he really hasn't proven he can be. Maybe this third year he can show that at Washington.



Beck's career is pretty much written at this point. I'm trying to think of another QB who has followed Beck's path and then succeeded (bounced around three teams, 30+ in age, then things finally clicked for him).


Steve Young--LA Express, Tampa Bay, SF back up for 3 or 4 years before getting a shot. Turned 30 in 1991 when he finally became the starter.



I realize it is going to take some rare circumstances for Beck to succeed. I just think the longer he can stay in one place, the better the chances. Bouncing from team to team is not the way to do it.



Journeyman back up is probably his fate, but I can still hold out hope.
Advertisement
I
Isola
I think Beck has seen the best his career has to offer. Still he was twice a starter in the NFL, and is still currently an NFL back up. Those are heights most of us can only hope to attain in our fields. Plus he has made more money in these few years than I likely will in my entire career. I can't pity him.



I'm sure his career hasn't been what he had hoped, nor what I had hoped for him, but it is a pretty good career.
J
jonnylingo
I could have told you beck' senior year that he would never be a starter. beck is and was a stud though. happy that he has stuck in the nfl so long. good for him.



i would not be really excited having him as a quarterback coach.
S
SpiffCoug
Jonny, do you think he would struggle as a QB coach?



I'm not saying he wouldn't. Just curious if you want to expound on that.
J
jonnylingo
SpiffCoug wrote:
Jonny, do you think he would struggle as a QB coach?



I'm not saying he wouldn't. Just curious if you want to expound on that.


Disclaimer: My opinion is worthless.



That being said I just don't know if I want someone that I consider somewhat of a headcase when it comes to pressure helping my qb handle pressure. John is certainly smart and knows the position. he also has seen and learned a lot of different offenses under different coaches as well. he would probably do a good job but my opinion on his was always that he had the skills and work ethic but what he was missing was feeling comfortable under pressure.



he seemed to really start feeling comfortable his senior year.



i don't pretend that my opinion means much. I am an outsider looking in. He would probably be a good coach but I am not sure about that. I have my reservations.



i know that he was not put in a good situation in the nfl and that things could havebeen different had that happened but i never expected him to mentally get comfortable enough in the nfl to flourish.
S
SpiffCoug
Good points - and I happen to agree with it.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.