Archived Topic

Defense over-performing or Offense under-performing

by CougarClaw · 3/7/2012

Advertisement
C
CougarClaw
Last year, our vaunted Jake Heaps awesomeness QB struggled against our D and we kind of ignored it because Doman had such high praise of the offense.



They even took time off.



So far, Day 2, we're seeing a very similar trend. Doman praising his QBs for their off-season work ethic (Lark) and the offense can't complete a pass.



No doubt our D is going to be ferocious this year; but I'd certainly like to see our Offense, with all its weapons actually get the better of the D a few times.
C
Cougs_Rule
it wasn't just Heaps--it was the whole offense. NObody was moving the ball consistently. And without real game tackling, it doubled down on our driveling O.
B
byucougar1
Perspective Gentlemen. The purpose of Spring Ball is teaching and learning. We hardly have any offensive linemen/starters that are working with Riley and the defense has mostly starters/or ones who have played extensively. They are primarily running passing skill set drills and secondarily skeleton 11-11. As Bronco has stated, better too see how things are by this Friday than to get all alarmed right now.
J
jonnylingo
I take nothing from the practice reports and find myself consciously trying to avoid reading anything into anything. I am just enjoying the reports but not reading much at all into them.



My biggest concern is our talent and depth on both the offensive and defensive lines.
B
byucougar1
What I am paying attention to is the word intensity. The players are very competitive and it appears there are some real opportunities for players to step up and fill some roles. I like the spirited attitude and it appears to be the identity of the team - which is a good thing.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
D
Ddawg
byucougar1 wrote:
What I am paying attention to is the word intensity. The players are very competitive and it appears there are some real opportunities for players to step up and fill some roles. I like the spirited attitude and it appears to be the identity of the team - which is a good thing.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">




+1 The Cougs seem to be on a mission - and are very serious early. I expect a focused team this Fall that "brings it." (Especially against Yewtah)
L
Lawboy
If there is one thing that this team was lacking, it was physicality on offense. I think our D played physical for sure, it just lacked some skills, like a pass rushing end. But Bronco adjusted. The O never seemed to be able to develop that dominant physical mindset in the big games. They will need it in 2012 and beyond.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.