Archived Topic

Who Will Be the Standouts from Spring Ball

by byucougar1 · 3/6/2012

Advertisement
B
byucougar1
For offense I have the following players:



1. Iona Pritchard. Bronco didn't even expect him to be ready until summer, and the guy is playing very well ahead of schedule.



2. Michael Alisa - he will capitalize on last year's experience and do more than just run the ball, but become an all-purpose back similar to JJ Diluigi. I believe that he will show improvement in his ability to catch passes out of the backfield, provide good pass protection blocking (to save Riley from himself), and pick up tough yards up the middle (FB mode). In other words, do what the former backs did so well within the offense and their specified roles.



3. Brett Thompson, Mitch Matthews, Terrenn Houk - I expect to see these guys pick it up in forming a great second tier WR group behind the starters Hoffman, Apo and Falslev.
M
Mars


I'm excited about our RBs and WRs in general!:

Alisa, Quezada, Pritchard, Hine, Lasike, Mendenhall, Foote, Folsom, and in Fall Jamaal Williams.

Hoffman, Apo, Houk, Mathews, Mathews, Thompson, Smith, Raymond, Brown, and soon Josh Weeks and Dylan Collie.
B
byucougar1
Bronco has answered this question after 3rd day of practice:



1. Preferred number one backfield, consisting of Michael Alisa and Juice Quezada pairing up as ball carriers. Mendenhall says "I like the combination...it looks pretty good, so that might be something you see in the fall."



Note: Paul Lisike is behind Juicewith Hine as 3rd optino. "Iona Pritchard is behind Alisa with Zed Mendenhall coming in as the I back. Wow - we are deep.



*******



"Early defensive standouts include lineman Ian Dulan, who Mendenhall says "has been the most productive lineman in camp so far. So sharp in terms of position mastery, trying really hard, loves to play; he's really, really been impressive. And Russell (Tialavea, injured) is still not out here. So, when you have a chance to have Romney (Fuga), Eathyn (Manumaleuna), Ian and Russell in the rotation--and it's all upperclassmen--it's going to be pretty fun."



Another defensive player jumping out is redshirt freshman linebacker Manoa Pikula, who saw second-team reps today and is "playing really well," according to Mendenhall.



"After three days, we've already determined that there's going to be a place somewhere for him. He'll probably be a great special teams contributor, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him in the two-deep."



Due to the play of Joe Sampson as FS, and Mike Hague playing very well, it appears that the 2-4-5 might be used more frequently. That would mean we have on the field: Johnson, Hadley, Hague, Sorenson and Sampson.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.