Archived Topic

Late Defensive POY Discussion

by Isola · 3/2/2012

Advertisement
I
Isola
I know this is a little late, but what is the deal with Sacre winning defensive player of the year?



When I read the Greg Wrubel "If I had a vote" column I thought it may have been a bit of homerism to pick Davies for defensive player of the year. Then Sacre won it and I have been wondering since how their numbers stack up. So I finally checked them out.



Stat Davies Sacre

Blocks 1.3 0.4

Steals 1.5 0.8

Rebounds 7.6 6.4



Davies wins every measured defensive stat. He averaged 3 times as many blocks, nearly twice as many steals and more than a rebound more.



How did Sacre win Defensive Player of the Year?
G
Gunk
Isola wrote:
I know this is a little late, but what is the deal with Sacre winning defensive player of the year?



When I read the Greg Wrubel "If I had a vote" column I thought it may have been a bit of homerism to pick Davies for defensive player of the year. Then Sacre won it and I have been wondering since how their numbers stack up. So I finally checked them out.



Stat Davies Sacre

Blocks 1.3 0.4

Steals 1.5 0.8

Rebounds 7.6 6.4



Davies wins every measured defensive stat. He averaged 3 times as many blocks, nearly twice as many steals and more than a rebound more.



How did Sacre win Defensive Player of the Year?


Been discussed, but basically Sacre won it because of politics. He's a Senior and I'm sure the WCC coaches didn't want to dole out too many awards to new-comer BYU. Politics, plane and simple. Sacre certainly doesn't deserve it.
S
SpiffCoug
I believe the WCC only considered conference-only games. So the stats are more like this, (I added their conf rank as well):



Stat Davies Sacre

Blocks 1.6 (1) 1.6 (1)

Steals 1.8 (4) (not in top 15)

Rebs 8.1 (4) 6.3 (7)

Def Rebs 5.8 (5) 4.6 (6)



There still isn't much statistical argument to make for Sacre over Davies. Additionally, I don't know how many charges each guy took. But I'd be very surprised if Sacre took half as many as Davies. That's another part of equation that should be factored.
Y
Yndian
Does someone with a lot of time want to look up the average points of the starting centers in WCC games vs. BYU/Gonzaga? That obviously won't be a perfect assessment because neither starting center is guarding the other for the entire game, but the only thing I could think of is that maybe Sacre generally held his opponents to fewer points.
S
SpiffCoug
Off the top of my head, the only post player who seemed to really go off against BYU was Waldow for SMC.
Advertisement
G
Gunk
SpiffCoug wrote:
I believe the WCC only considered conference-only games. So the stats are more like this, (I added their conf rank as well):



Stat Davies Sacre

Blocks 1.6 (1) 1.6 (1)

Steals 1.8 (4) (not in top 15)

Rebs 8.1 (4) 6.3 (7)

Def Rebs 5.8 (5) 4.6 (6)



There still isn't much statistical argument to make for Sacre over Davies. Additionally, I don't know how many charges each guy took. But I'd be very surprised if Sacre took half as many as Davies. That's another part of equation that should be factored.


Davies leads the league in charges taken.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.