Archived Topic

BYU's 3-4 Defense

by byucougar1 · 2/29/2012

Advertisement
B
byucougar1
Interesting article in TBS discussing our 3-4 defense. I didn't realize this, but according to Steves,



"12 of the 32 NFL teams now run a 3-4 defense, and three of the first 11 picks in last year’s NFL draft were initially taken for 3-4 defenses.



In the playoffs last season, the Steelers, Packers, Texans, Patriots, Ravens and 49ers all used the 3-4 defense, while the Giants defeated the Patriots 21-17 in the Super Bowl with a 4-3 defense."



I expect to see more of our LB, DL be selected in upcoming NFL drafts as we master this defense and secure wins against very good competition. From what I can tell, Bronco and the gang are focusing their recruiting efforts to fill the needs of this defense with some quality, athletic hybrid DE/LB players.
C
CougarClaw
well. there's 3-4. 4-3...



and then what? 2-5? 5-2? 1-6?



There are only so many formations you can start with.
S
Schmoe
CougarClaw wrote:
well. there's 3-4. 4-3...



and then what? 2-5? 5-2? 1-6?



There are only so many formations you can start with.


In reality, there's also the 3-3-5 and the 4-2-5.
S
scott715
Watch out for the 6-6-6.
M
Mingjai
Schmoe wrote:
well. there's 3-4. 4-3...



and then what? 2-5? 5-2? 1-6?



There are only so many formations you can start with.


In reality, there's also the 3-3-5 and the 4-2-5.


There's also the 46 made famous by the 85 Bears.
Advertisement
S
Schmoe
Mingjai wrote:
CougarClaw wrote:
well. there's 3-4. 4-3...



and then what? 2-5? 5-2? 1-6?



There are only so many formations you can start with.


In reality, there's also the 3-3-5 and the 4-2-5.


There's also the 46 made famous by the 85 Bears.


The 46 Bear is actually a 4-3
V
vancouvercougar
scott715 wrote:
Watch out for the 6-6-6.


This one is my favorite--as long as we are defending 11 players from the opposing offense.
A
ABYUFAN
CougarClaw wrote:
well. there's 3-4. 4-3...



and then what? 2-5? 5-2? 1-6?



There are only so many formations you can start with.


My favorites are the 3-3-3-2 and the 1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1
N
nuk13
I expect to see more of our LB, DL be selected in upcoming NFL drafts as we master this defense and secure wins against very good competition. From what I can tell, Bronco and the gang are focusing their recruiting efforts to fill the needs of this defense with some quality, athletic hybrid DE/LB players.[/quote]



I'll vote for this. With these kind of athletes you can run 3-4 or 4-3. I like seeing different looks because offenses don't like it.
C
CougarClaw
ABYUFAN wrote:

the 1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1


I think this a prevent (nothing) defense.



That or a bad rugby defense. :lol:
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.