Archived Topic

Hartsock not among the top WCC big men

by Mars · 2/29/2012

Advertisement
M
Mars


According to this article:



http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/news?slug=teamreports-2012-ncaab-baw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



Davies is the best BYU big man (in WCC play), and that Noah Hartsock isn't even among the best 3 big men in the conference, namely Jones, Davies, and Caloiaro.



"Hartsock has tailed off over the past several weeks".
C
craigoscarson
Ask anyone familiar with the WCC which big man they want to touch the ball at the end

of the game.... Noah



He is the glue that keeps this team together and the only player we could count on at times to get us a bucket.



Ask anyone familiar with the WCC which big man they want to defend the post when the game is on the line..... Noah



He doesn't get in foul trouble, yet still blocks shots and makes people take bad shots



He's the best player in the conference. Just not the best player on the best team.



He's come a long way since some people called him .........garbage..... ;)
G
Gunk
The fact Sacre got named DPOY over Noah is atrocious.



Dellawhatever, like craig said, is just the best player on the best team. Delly has been shut out. Noah has not. Even when he didn't get a field goal he still scored in double digits.



I like Davies, but he isn't nearly as consistent as Noah. You know if Noah gets the ball down low something good will likely come. That's why with Noah on the court the game plan is to move it through him. With Davies its always a toss up between a spectacular dunk, a turnover (travel, steal, foul), a missed shot or a pass.
M
Mars


I guess both Sacre and Davies averaged more blocks per game in WCC play than Hartsock did. So they must not care as much about OOC stats.
I
IowaCougar
I think it's because they split the votes between Hartsock, Harstock, and Hartstock :P
Advertisement
B
byucougar1
Multiple personalities?



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
CougarClaw
So True, Noah didn't even score last game. He's really tapered off. :angry:
I
imuakahuku
Mars wrote:


According to this article:



http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/news?slug=teamreports-2012-ncaab-baw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



Davies is the best BYU big man (in WCC play), and that Noah Hartsock isn't even among the best 3 big men in the conference, namely Jones, Davies, and Caloiaro.



"Hartsock has tailed off over the past several weeks".




I have to agree with them. He isn't among the best three big men. He is head and shoulders above them! He is by far the best player in the WCC. Even Delawhatever doesn't stand up to Noah's consistency and his play.

Personally I don't even think delawhatever is the best player on his team. I would give that to their freshman forward. What Dela is good at is basically drawing fouls. He dribbles and dribbles and dribbles and tries to create contact and afer a few times the D lays off a little and it opens some lanes for him. But as you watch him dribble it is mostly the way he dribbles (kind of like a 2nd grader) and his big body. They both lead to contact and thus fouls and eventually space for him to drive and dish. All in all I don't think his skills are above those of Matt, Pangos, or a number of other guards in the wcc. He is just very crafty (like europeans) at using his "chubby" body to draw fouls and eventually be given a little space. Next time you see him watch how he dribbles into players instead of around them. When he brings it up court he very nearly always tries to run over the player guarding him instead of trying to juke them or crossover etc. He tries to make it look like he is doing a cross over but it always leads to major contact and a foul.
S
scott715
I don't think he will make it to the NBA. They let a lot of contact be played and I don't think he is that athletic. He can shoot though.
G
Gunk
imuakahuku wrote:


According to this article:



http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/news?slug=teamreports-2012-ncaab-baw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



Davies is the best BYU big man (in WCC play), and that Noah Hartsock isn't even among the best 3 big men in the conference, namely Jones, Davies, and Caloiaro.



"Hartsock has tailed off over the past several weeks".




I have to agree with them. He isn't among the best three big men. He is head and shoulders above them! He is by far the best player in the WCC. Even Delawhatever doesn't stand up to Noah's consistency and his play.

Personally I don't even think delawhatever is the best player on his team. I would give that to their freshman forward. What Dela is good at is basically drawing fouls. He dribbles and dribbles and dribbles and tries to create contact and afer a few times the D lays off a little and it opens some lanes for him. But as you watch him dribble it is mostly the way he dribbles (kind of like a 2nd grader) and his big body. They both lead to contact and thus fouls and eventually space for him to drive and dish. All in all I don't think his skills are above those of Matt, Pangos, or a number of other guards in the wcc. He is just very crafty (like europeans) at using his "chubby" body to draw fouls and eventually be given a little space. Next time you see him watch how he dribbles into players instead of around them. When he brings it up court he very nearly always tries to run over the player guarding him instead of trying to juke them or crossover etc. He tries to make it look like he is doing a cross over but it always leads to major contact and a foul.


There's a reason Dellawhatever wears a mouth guard.



A while a go I was one the SMC forum explaining why people think Dellawhatever is a "dirty" player. At first they denied it, but after pressing the matter acknowledged that he does seek contact out, does indeed swipe defenders' hands away, and does a fair amount of acting.



He isn't quick. His crossover and ball handling is poor. Using contact to create seperation is all he has. We did a good job of shutting him down when SMC came to Provo. I like our chances against SMC should we meet them a third time.
Advertisement
S
saywhat
Noah is not flashy. It's very easy if you aren't a BYU fan to not really notice him until you look at the stats or unless he gets the ball consecutive times down the court. He's a great guy. Very humble and works hard.
G
Gunk
saywhat wrote:
Noah is not flashy. It's very easy if you aren't a BYU fan to not really notice him until you look at the stats or unless he gets the ball consecutive times down the court. He's a great guy. Very humble and works hard.


Maybe Noah should start palming the ball and holding it out to the side like Michael Jordon did and Davies seems so keen to emulate.
S
saywhat
None of that is Noah. He just plays, let's that speak for him. I think that's why I like him.
S
SpiffCoug
saywhat wrote:
None of that is Noah. He just plays, let's that speak for him. I think that's why I like him.

Too bad his knee has been speaking for him the last week!
S
saywhat
Ya injuries are such a hard part of sports. I hope he is actually able to return before the season is over. That would be a shame if he had to end his career this way.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.