Archived Topic

Is Lark A Suitable Back-up For Riley?

by byucougar1 · 2/28/2012

Advertisement
B
byucougar1
http://www.bluecougarfootball.com/2012/02/is-james-lark-ready-if-riley-nelson.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



While his stats are not impressive in mop up work, my consolation is that he knows the system (having been in the program for 5 years), and at one point during last Spring/Fall there was talk that he might supplant Riley as the back-up. Here is to hoping that he improves his game prior to start of season that inspires confidence in coaches, team mates and CC.
S
scott715
He has worked hard in the past so he should be suitable. He will be playing this year and possibly a lot. When he did get to play the coaches held him back so I would really not look at his stats.
D
Ddawg
It is a real concern. Riley's style really scares me - because he is so vulnerable to injury. I think Lark will be fine. In Spring and Fall, Lark will no doubt get the practice reps he needs to prepare him "prime time" should Riley get injured. The fact that Lark is a 5th year Senior, he is ready mentally, and anxious to prove himself seems logical. I would think he knows he will be seeing playing time this year.
S
SpiffCoug
Am I wrong to think the injury concerns for Riley because of his style of play are overstated? He did miss essentially two games last year, but they weren't because of his "style of play."



He got hurt last year because he stood in the pocket to deliver a strike knowing he was going to take a big hit. He didn't get hurt because he was taking off running.
N
northerncougar
SpiffCoug wrote:
Am I wrong to think the injury concerns for Riley because of his style of play are overstated? He did miss essentially two games last year, but they weren't because of his "style of play."



He got hurt last year because he stood in the pocket to deliver a strike knowing he was going to take a big hit. He didn't get hurt because he was taking off running.


No. You are 100% correct. It is puzzling that so many have the idea that Riley is going to get hurt because he runs.
Advertisement
F
frdbtr
Well, since it is obvious that he actually can throw further then 10 yards, what else is there to criticize about him?
F
frdbtr
I think Lark will do just fine if needed.
B
byucougar1
When Riley is delivering a blow when running out of the pocket or on designed draws, etc. His body is prepared for the hit. It is when he is hit in a vulnerable stance or when completing a throw that he was injured - twice this year. He waits for the play to develop and in some cases, stays in pocket amidst the pressure. Prefer that he scrambles around to avoid the big hit but also believe that the OL needs to hold their blocks longer and WR to create better space between them and DBs. WR can't have plays taking long time to develop or Riley may get hurt while hanging around in the backfield - just take off if no play is there.



Lark is probably chomping at the bit to play as it is his last hurrah - he will be prepared to fill in.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
SpiffCoug
byucougar1 wrote:
When Riley is delivering a blow when running out of the pocket or on designed draws, etc. His body is prepared for the hit. It is when he is hit in a vulnerable stance or when completing a throw that he was injured - twice this year. He waits for the play to develop and in some cases, stays in pocket amidst the pressure. Prefer that he scrambles around to avoid the big hit but also believe that the OL needs to hold their blocks longer and WR to create better space between them and DBs. WR can't have plays taking long time to develop or Riley may get hurt while hanging around in the backfield - just take off if no play is there.



Lark is probably chomping at the bit to play as it is his last hurrah - he will be prepared to fill in.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

That's what QBs do. They hang in there as long as they can. Riley was prepared for the hits that injured him. He knew they were coming. But he stood in there to make a play. That's what a good QB should do.
B
BroncoBot
northerncougar wrote:
Am I wrong to think the injury concerns for Riley because of his style of play are overstated? He did miss essentially two games last year, but they weren't because of his "style of play."



He got hurt last year because he stood in the pocket to deliver a strike knowing he was going to take a big hit. He didn't get hurt because he was taking off running.


No. You are 100% correct. It is puzzling that so many have the idea that Riley is going to get hurt because he runs.

I'm sure that staying in the pocket was what hurt him early in 2010 as well. :skeptic:



So as long as Riley is running, he's safe eh?
Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
declocoug wrote:
SpiffCoug wrote:
Am I wrong to think the injury concerns for Riley because of his style of play are overstated? He did miss essentially two games last year, but they weren't because of his "style of play."



He got hurt last year because he stood in the pocket to deliver a strike knowing he was going to take a big hit. He didn't get hurt because he was taking off running.


No. You are 100% correct. It is puzzling that so many have the idea that Riley is going to get hurt because he runs.

I'm sure that staying in the pocket was what hurt him early in 2010 as well. :skeptic:



So as long as Riley is running, he's safe eh?

We don't know how Riley got hurt in 2010. He was hiding the injury from coaches.
D
Dcr36
I find it strange that so much discussion is focused here on Riley Nelson (6' 0" 196) and his susceptibility to injury, while Denard Robinson (6' 0" 193) has been a reliable QB for Michigan utilizing an even-more-aggressive style of play.
S
Stirfry
Dcr36 wrote:
I find it strange that so much discussion is focused here on Riley Nelson (6' 0" 196) and his susceptibility to injury, while Denard Robinson (6' 0" 193) has been a reliable QB for Michigan utilizing an even-more-aggressive style of play.


This is interesting to me because my fear with Riley has always been that he's going to get hurt. When I googled it though almost every article comes to the conclusion that although the perception is they will get hurt more they actually get hurt less than pocket passers and suffer less catsrophic injuries than a passer getting blindsided. Here's one on Robinson: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/478194-denard-robinson-mobile-quarterback-injury-studyhow-often-do-they-get-hurt



What worries me more about Riley than being a running qb is he is a running qb who enjoys being hit and hitting others. We need him on the field and he's missed a lot of games in which he was the starter/costarter due to injuries.



Hopefully we wont need Lark to be the Riley 2011 of 2012.
J
jonnylingo
To say that Riley is not prone to injury is just silly no matter what the cause of it is or was.



Lark is not a suitable back up at this point. Hopefully that will change with more reps through spring and fall along with his knowledge of the system already in place. I suspect we will need him given Riley's history of injuries.



Munns missing spring is a realy blow to his chances of being the back up this year and starter next. I am bummed for him. I love Lark but it would be better for 2013 if munns was able to put separation between him and lark so he can compete for starting spot in 2013 more competently.



I imagine he still will but if Hill turns out the coaches will probably go with him after he red shirts this season.
M
Mars
jonnylingo wrote:
Lark is not a suitable back up at this point. Hopefully that will change with more reps through spring and fall along with his knowledge of the system already in place. I suspect we will need him given Riley's history of injuries.

What do you base him not being a suitable back-up on? Just curious. Personally, I thought he looked pretty decent in practice last year.
Advertisement
1
1967cougar
jonnylingo wrote:
To say that Riley is not prone to injury is just silly no matter what the cause of it is or was.



Lark is not a suitable back up at this point. Hopefully that will change with more reps through spring and fall along with his knowledge of the system already in place. I suspect we will need him given Riley's history of injuries.



Munns missing spring is a realy blow to his chances of being the back up this year and starter next. I am bummed for him. I love Lark but it would be better for 2013 if munns was able to put separation between him and lark so he can compete for starting spot in 2013 more competently.



I imagine he still will but if Hill turns out the coaches will probably go with him after he red shirts this season.


What happened to Munns?
S
SpiffCoug
Having foot surgery and will miss spring camp.
L
Lawboy
I think it is safe to say that Riley will most likely get some injury simply because he is an undersized QB. He is listed at 6' 200, but if you have ever stood near him, he is smaller. That is a high listing for sure. Smaller QBs struggle to stay healthy, especially ones that run it much. That aggregate of hits takes a toll. Whether a runner or not, he will take hits. Add to it he has been concussed, ad the odds go up.



Lark needs to be ready because he will play this year. I think Hill will also.
J
jonnylingo
Mars wrote:
Lark is not a suitable back up at this point. Hopefully that will change with more reps through spring and fall along with his knowledge of the system already in place. I suspect we will need him given Riley's history of injuries.

What do you base him not being a suitable back-up on? Just curious. Personally, I thought he looked pretty decent in practice last year.


His garbage time. the spring game. He just needs more reps. He did well in practice for a few weeks but then seemed to drop off. I have not seen anything or read anything that suggets he is anywhere near on the same level that heaps and nelson were.



he is smart and athletic and has all the tools though. He just hasn't gotten teh reps. I assume with the reps he would make some serious improvement going into this season. I just don't think he there at this point in time. I am optimistic though.
J
jonnylingo
Lawboy wrote:
I think it is safe to say that Riley will most likely get some injury simply because he is an undersized QB. He is listed at 6' 200, but if you have ever stood near him, he is smaller. That is a high listing for sure. Smaller QBs struggle to stay healthy, especially ones that run it much. That aggregate of hits takes a toll. Whether a runner or not, he will take hits. Add to it he has been concussed, ad the odds go up.



Lark needs to be ready because he will play this year. I think Hill will also.


Playing Hill this year would be a mistake. I hope coaches don't do that.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.