Archived Topic

Fangupo in the Combine

by CougarClaw · 2/28/2012

Advertisement
S
scott715
His evaluation says he has slow feet but is strong. Perhaps he would be best suited to play for a team that runs the 3-4 so that he can occupy 2 blockers and fit right in.
D
drewage81
he is graded a 54 by Nfl.com which mean draftable but barely. 54 means he should be drafted probably in the 6th or 7th round.



btw they say matt reynolds(a 64 grade) has 5th or 6th round talent. has his stock fallen that badly?
D
Ddawg
I read Fangupo's combine eval yesterday. His upper body strength is incredible. The eval is not complimentary of his speed or footwork. It was a bit discouraging to read. I hope he gets drafted and given a chance. I like to see Cougs succeed.
J
jvquarterback
I think I've gotten 225 up 36 times (in my entire life). That's nuts. That's Omer.
Advertisement
M
mizzoucoug
drewage81 wrote:
he is graded a 54 by Nfl.com which mean draftable but barely. 54 means he should be drafted probably in the 6th or 7th round.



btw they say matt reynolds(a 64 grade) has 5th or 6th round talent. has his stock fallen that badly?


Was overrated from the getgo. Much like Jan, had a strong start and then faded away but lived on the early rep. I don't know if this has to do with Omer's strength training or if it's just a lack of talent in general.
S
stuckinbig10country
mizzoucoug wrote:
he is graded a 54 by Nfl.com which mean draftable but barely. 54 means he should be drafted probably in the 6th or 7th round.



btw they say matt reynolds(a 64 grade) has 5th or 6th round talent. has his stock fallen that badly?


Was overrated from the getgo. Much like Jan, had a strong start and then faded away but lived on the early rep. I don't know if this has to do with Omer's strength training or if it's just a lack of talent in general.


He should have come out last year. He was awful last year too, but people still were talking about him being a first rounder.
C
Cougs_Rule
I feel bad for Matt. I really just think he lst his desire to improve. Maybe he just believed all the hype he received. Seemed to be a disease around this offense the last two years.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougarbib
stuckinbig10country wrote:
drewage81 wrote:
he is graded a 54 by Nfl.com which mean draftable but barely. 54 means he should be drafted probably in the 6th or 7th round.



btw they say matt reynolds(a 64 grade) has 5th or 6th round talent. has his stock fallen that badly?


Was overrated from the getgo. Much like Jan, had a strong start and then faded away but lived on the early rep. I don't know if this has to do with Omer's strength training or if it's just a lack of talent in general.


He should have come out last year. He was awful last year too, but people still were talking about him being a first rounder.


Awful compared to what. If he does drop to 5th or 6th round that would still have him in the top 3 OL if not 1st under Mendenhall and pretty high up the all-time list.



Awful. Just Awful. Don't get me wrong. He fell well short of the hype. He was far from awful.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
snoscythe
I don't think he ever bought into the hype, otherwise he would have gone after his Junior year. I read an interview he gave early on this season where he said the feedback from the NFL advisory team after his Junior year was that he was a 3rd or 4th round guy. I don't remember many people other than ESPN color commentators (who just say anything to add interest to games) and BYU beat writers talking 1st round.
Advertisement
B
byucougar1
Sounds like we need to change thread title - should be Fangupo - Reynolds. Matt will do well with his footspeed. OT need technique and footspeed. Watch fast DE tear up massive, strong, slow OTs on the edge because they are quick off the ball. Reynolds is smart and can work on strength, hard to teach footspeed let alone technique without brains.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
I
Isola
stuckinbig10country wrote:
drewage81 wrote:
he is graded a 54 by Nfl.com which mean draftable but barely. 54 means he should be drafted probably in the 6th or 7th round.



btw they say matt reynolds(a 64 grade) has 5th or 6th round talent. has his stock fallen that badly?


Was overrated from the getgo. Much like Jan, had a strong start and then faded away but lived on the early rep. I don't know if this has to do with Omer's strength training or if it's just a lack of talent in general.


He should have come out last year. He was awful last year too, but people still were talking about him being a first rounder.

I have never felt like this about players who's draft stock drops their senior year.



One of the best examples of cashing in when your stock is at your highest is JaMarcus Russell. Had he stuck around and got fat for his senior year he may not have been drafted or maybe in later rounds, but he came out early, threw 60 yards from his back (I am not sure when that is helpful) got selected #1 and got paid $40+ million to suck. Now he is viewed as a complete failure, but I guess he got paid.



For me, I think I value my self respect more than money and would rather wait a year and get drafted where I should be than come out early and be vastly overvalued, and eventually mocked and despised.
T
trueblue72
Reynolds will be a guard in the NFL, not dominating enough to be even a right tackle, let alone a left tackle.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
byucougar1
http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/matt-reynolds?id=2532938" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



Combine commentary lauds his explosiveness and power, but states that his size (height) is not suited for tackle position and that he needs to sustain his block downfield. They recommend that he plays inside at guard position where his deficiencies at tackle are not so noticeable.
A
AJP
Since this thread was (originally) about Fangupo, I'll add the NFL combine page for him just like Matt's was already posted.



http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/loni-fangupo?id=2532836" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



They really like his strength and his ability to occupy two blockers but says he has really bad footwork. Saying he could be a late-riser, they expect him to be taken in the late rounds.
Advertisement
B
byucougar1
If he takes up ballroom dancing or participates in a Zumba class, his footwork will improve. Don't know about how the floor will be about it :-)
D
Ddawg
They can teach footwork. They can't teach speed. Extremely important - they cannot teach strength - which Fangupo has. If I was a General Manager, I would definitely be interested, but the speed concerns me. The NFL is a fast league at every position.
B
byucougar1
According to Cougar Examiner article, Loni turned in the following results at the combine:



Fangupo (323 lbs) turned in results for six of the seven Combine events.



- clocked in at 5.18 seconds in the 40-yard dash (Poe from Memphis ran a 4.9)

- lifted 225 lbs. for 36 repetitions in the bench press endurance test. (Poe lifted 43)

- jumped 31.5 inches in the vertical jump

- leaped 99 inches (8 feet, 3 inches) in the broad jump,

- timed in at 7.94 seconds in the 3-cone drill

- ran 4.62 seconds in the 20-yard shuffle.
T
tmoney35
Fangupo never was a pass rushing DT. He's gap filling, run stopping beast. With a lot of work, and a little luck, I have no doubt he can find his way into a starting role eventually
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.