Archived Topic

You're the Coach...

by EM_Puma · 2/27/2012

Advertisement
E
EM_Puma
You're the coach, what do you do?



Friday in the first game of the WCC tournament, we're matched up against the winner of San Diego vs. Pepperdine.



BYU's record vs. San Diego:

@ Provo, BYU 88 USD 52

@ San Diego, BYU 82 USD 63



BYU's record vs. Pepperdine:

@ Provo, BYU 86 Pepperdine 48

@ Malibu, BYU 77 Pepperdine 64



Do you sit Noah Hartsock, even if he's good enough to go, to save him for round two against Gonzaga?



I would sit him, if he's ready. You can always inject him into the game if things go south. I can't imagine that, even if he's ready to play Friday, that he'll be able to endure 2 games well if we make it to the championship game on Friday. I believe 2 games in 2 days would be too much.
A
ABYUFAN
I think that he has to play at least 10 minutes to get the juices flowing, or else he'll be wound too tight on Saturday, but I'm not a doctor....
S
SpiffCoug
Yes. I sit Noah. I don't even think of playing him against Pepperdine/San Diego.



I might even be tempted to sit him vs Gonzaga. BYU showed that they can completely shut down Gonzaga on offense - even without Noah. If they had made some shots in the Kennel, they could have stolen that game.



Noah makes the team better. He doesn't make the team. He's like BASF. They don't make team you like. They make the team you like better.
C
CougarClaw
I shoot myself because I'm not coach Rose, i don't want my Cougs to lose, and I don't know what the hell I'm doing.
I
imuakahuku
I would expect to sit him most of the first game. Maybe give him some minutes to help insure he isn't rusty on Friday and to let him test the knee a little and get back confidence in it that it will be fine. I would sit Rogers and expect him to play Saturday.
Advertisement
E
EM_Puma
Watching True Blue on BYUtv, neither Dave Mcann, Steve Cleveland or Blaine Fowler, in reviewing the tournament games, ever mentioned that Noah could possibly sit. That could be also because as sports broadcasters, it's tought to go on record recommending that a team could be minus their POY, and still beat an opponent. That's a little forward, and they tend to be a bit more conservative. Just as Rose would never be able to make such a comment. We, are free to say what we will.



They did mention that the issue with Noah is more in his ankle and calf, than his knee. I can't imagine that one incident would have damaged all three of those part of the leg at once, and must be related to some contributory other injury. I don't know the answer.
G
Gunk
Give him 10 min to iron out the kinks so if needs be he's ready to shut down GU. I'd watch him carefully against GU.



We've got to get to the finals, so in some respect the GU game is more important than the championship game.
C
Cougs_Rule
Gunk wrote:
Give him 10 min to iron out the kinks so if needs be he's ready to shut down GU. I'd watch him carefully against GU.



We've got to get to the finals, so in some respect the GU game is more important than the championship game.


This. This. This!!!



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.