Archived Topic

BYU vs NE on 9/5/15

by byucougar1 · 2/23/2012

Advertisement
U
Ungoy
I just hope that they make a return trip to Provo at some time.
E
EM_Puma
I'm of the position that you only do one-and-dones at a neutral site. If Nebraska had any respect and saw us more than as a filler for a hole on their schedule, they would have signed up for a return, if at least, to a neutral site like in Denver.



Entering into this contract will only hang a sign on our back that we are willing to be a team's door mat in any future negotiations with any further BCS teams.



I know it's easy for me to say, but I wouldn't have done it without any future consideration. Could be that he thinking that way, but I only have the ability to see what is in front of me.
B
byucougar1
Disagree with this statement. Long term relationship is being established not one and done. We will gain more exposure with this game - on big stage with ESPN than with what we have done so far. It is similar in style to the first game of season when we played OU although not in neutral site. Potential recruits will eat this up - big draw potential. It is a chance for Y fans to see a game with a storied football program. This is what TH was referring to when he noted that he was trying to schedule games with well known and respected teams across the country. Expect more of the same - quite possibly with Wisconsin and Penn State as has been rumored in the past.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
byucougar1
My take on this series would be a H-H-Neutral situation shown on ESPN.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
J
jvquarterback
Without a return game this isn't a very good deal.
C
CougarClaw
Love the game. love the venue. Hate the Away trend.
J
jvquarterback
Looks like Neb is in the middle of 2-1's with Fresno St and WY and has another coming up with Southern Miss. I would have hoped we could have done better than that.
S
scott715
Hill will be a redshirt Junior, so we have a shot at winning.
L
Lawboy
Love the game, hate the precedent.



Based upon TH's comments, I expect a home and home with NU to be coming. Which will effectively make it a 2 for 1. This is what happened with the Texas series, by the way. Veiled attempt to not announce a 2 for 1, when effectively, it is just that.
Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
EM_Puma wrote:
I'm of the position that you only do one-and-dones at a neutral site. If Nebraska had any respect and saw us more than as a filler for a hole on their schedule, they would have signed up for a return, if at least, to a neutral site like in Denver.



Entering into this contract will only hang a sign on our back that we are willing to be a team's door mat in any future negotiations with any further BCS teams.



I know it's easy for me to say, but I wouldn't have done it without any future consideration. Could be that he thinking that way, but I only have the ability to see what is in front of me.


This



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
F
frdbtr
Get used to it boys. This is how independance is going to work for us.
L
Lawboy
Imagine this game with a 2015 Big XII schedule. Brutal. Yet awesome. Hope it can happen.



If not, still a great game. Just wish we could get a return game. BYU will never have trouble playing great opponents on the road, and this further proves this. the trouble is getting them to LES. Even more difficult is getting them there in November.
E
EM_Puma
Lawboy wrote:
Love the game, hate the precedent.



Based upon TH's comments, I expect a home and home with NU to be coming. Which will effectively make it a 2 for 1. This is what happened with the Texas series, by the way. Veiled attempt to not announce a 2 for 1, when effectively, it is just that.


That's where my thoughts on the announcement went as soon as I heard it, but it's supposition on our part and hoping for the best. As noted, such a course would be what we saw with Texas. It is our hope that such is TH’s plans, although he was his usual nebulous self in his comment as it was obvious that it was an attempt to defer the heat of doing a one-and-done.



As it has been noted, love the game, but as a BYU fan it is denigrating to watch my school be forced to take these less than bounteous propositions.
B
byucougar1
The week after our game with the big Red on 9/5/15 we will host Boise State (Sept. 12). How is that for back-to-back games to start off the season?



The Cougars are also scheduled to play Utah State, Hawaii, Notre Dame and Southern Miss in 2015. Seems like some very good games are in store for fans looking for quality opponents and a great schedule.
Advertisement
S
scott715
Like Texas hopefully this one and done is added to by a home and home. Then it would be sweet if other home and homes are added down the line. I bet that is what TH is working on. ESPN wants good games at LES so those should be coming down the road.
E
EM_Puma
scott715 wrote:
ESPN wants good games at LES so those should be coming down the road.


Who normally does B1G non-conference games? Are they open to NE to assign or are these covered under their conference contract? The one thing that I give TH is that usually he doesn't sign contracts until the TV issue is ironed out.



My point was that, are you saying that ESPN wants game in the LES because they can broadcast them, while a game at Lincoln might or might not be theirs to cover?



It's probably Darnell Dickson's doing. He'll be glad to see us coming to Lincoln.
I
imuakahuku
I imagine that TH is probably trying to make inroads and not pull off a complete series now. The B12 rumors and discussions may preclude him from getting into too many more long contracts. It must be driving him crazy not knowing if we will get in or not. I'm sure he has a much better idea of the current status than I could ever hope for but I have to imagine it is adding to his frustrations.
S
scott715
http://byu.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1335173&PT=4&PR=2&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter


It is likely that other games with the Huskers are close to being finished, and that BYU was essentially forced into announcing this one game to the public before it really wanted to because of Nebraska's intent to announce that it had finalized its 2012 and 2015 schedules. This looks like it could eventually end up like the series BYU set up with Texas.



. . .



Deep Shades of Blue reported in 2011 that sources close the situation were indicating that BYU was close to announcing a deal to play the Cornhuskers. At that time the deal appeared to be a home-and-home series along with a game to be played at a neutral site.
L
Lawboy
scott715 wrote:
Like Texas hopefully this one and done is added to by a home and home. Then it would be sweet if other home and homes are added down the line. I bet that is what TH is working on. ESPN wants good games at LES so those should be coming down the road.


This is what I expect. In effect, it is a 2 for 1, just not announced as one. But fact is, we play Texas 3 times, 2x at their place, once at LES. If NU adds a home and home, it is the same. It is a 2 for 1. Basically, it is a political way to avoid blowback.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.