Archived Topic

2013 Schedule

by scott715 · 2/14/2012

Advertisement
M
mizzoucoug
That's a kick in the butt for whoever our first year starter is. Yikes.
L
Lawboy
I thought that TH said we had 2 big name teams lined up with deals agreed to, just not signed contracts yet. I thought he also mentioned that Wazzou might get pushed back. Anyone else catch that?
S
scott715
yes
C
Cougarbib
Lawboy wrote:
I thought that TH said we had 2 big name teams lined up with deals agreed to, just not signed contracts yet. I thought he also mentioned that Wazzou might get pushed back. Anyone else catch that?


I heard 2. I did not hear big name. He clearly indicated also that there are two slots to be filled in addition to finalizing some contracts.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
L
Lawboy
scott715 wrote:
http://hawaiiathletics.com/schedule.aspx?path=football&schedule=3925



Has us playing Hawaii at the end of the year.


Just saw that too. Moving the Hawaii game from October to December was a great move. means 13 games, likely 7 at home. Looks like a pre-Media Day scheduling scoop. Makes me wonder who we were able to snag earlier in the year now?



So hoping that the Wisconsin 2013-14 rumor is true and the Utah 2013-14 is true, and the Nebraska one is also, H,N added to the away game. If so, just wow. Pretty sweet.
C
Cougs_Rule
Good. Let's have a brutal schedule, end up 6-6 and get over our little brother issues and move to a more reasonable schedule of 3 tough, 3 middle, and 3 easy games.

Big whoop if we play tough, big name teams loaded with 2 for 1's and rarely a great team coming to provo.

I' ll take 9 and 3 and 10 and 2 seasons, or better, than 6 and 6. If some of you schedule-Hawks want BYU to slip into irrelevancy, low fan turnouts, ESPN dwindle-ment, go ahead and reserve your eat crow ticket now and own it when we're 6 and 6. Ok, pumpkins? (since it seems to be quote movies day) :-)
C
Cougarbib
dmcougar wrote:
Good. Let's have a brutal schedule, end up 6-6 and get over our little brother issues and move to a more reasonable schedule of 3 tough, 3 middle, and 3 easy games.

Big whoop if we play tough, big name teams loaded with 2 for 1's and rarely a great team coming to provo.

I' ll take 9 and 3 and 10 and 2 seasons, or better, than 6 and 6. If some of you schedule-Hawks want BYU to slip into irrelevancy, low fan turnouts, ESPN dwindle-ment, go ahead and reserve your eat crow ticket now and own it when we're 6 and 6. Ok, pumpkins? (since it seems to be quote movies day) :-)

Totally agree.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
byucougar1
Don't understand your logic one bit. Schedule difficult team's that are broadcast on ESPN and great recruits are attracted because of the exposure, chance to go against the best, and get better playing against top flight competition. ND has not had great records recently, but they still attract good recruits, play great teams, and have exposure on NBC. Fan following still remains loyal, and doesn't keep recruits from lining up. Holmoe and company are trying to bring the team to respectability and notoriety with the schedule they are piecing together. IMO as the schedule toughens - we get higher quality recruits, and some Big money for upgrades, etc. Rumors floating around Indicate we made between 13-16 million. Where did that kind of money come from in the past? Huge jump from last year to this year in recruiting talent - and we are getting a lot of kids we never would have had a shot at before. Several great guys said they never knew about us before - but through coaches, referrals, ESPN, etc. They checked out the Y and loved it. Scheduling challenging team's is the way to go - Y has to step up it's game - I have faith that they can.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
Recruiting has not improved one bit by any objective measure like class rankings.



After 1984, BYU over-reached in efforts to bring respectability to scheduling - and now we all bemoan the loss of the glory years.



It is stupid to give away home field advantage to good or even great teams in such a quest.



College football rewards are built entirely around winning. Just look how the once invincible ND brand has diminished after years of perceived mediocrity.



Ask UW how their 0-12 season playing the toughest schedule in the country helped their program - it almost killed it.



When BYU proves it can compete with teams like Utah, TCU, and BSU on equal home and away footing - then it should worry about beefing up its schedule.



The best thing for recruiting is winning.



Losing games in South Bend and Dallas does not help recruiting - it just gets coaches fired and QBs to transfer.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
A
ABYUFAN
2 questions for cougar bib... How did Washington's 0-12 "almost" kill the program?



And which coaches got fired in our last 2 losses in South Bend?



And a bonus question of our winning percentage against Notre Dame on the road vs at home



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougarbib
ABYUFAN wrote:
2 questions for cougar bib... How did Washington's 0-12 "almost" kill the program?



And which coaches got fired in our last 2 losses in South Bend?



And a bonus question of our winning percentage against Notre Dame on the road vs at home



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

I will go ahead and pretend like I think you want a real answer.



The comments were meant figuratively. And somewhat literally. Getting walloped by ND was part of an overall context where Gary Crowton over-reached in his scheduling and it resulted in bad records and he got canned. Several assistant coaches also got canned. Fan expectations were that Gary Crowton would immediately take BYU to the next level. Unfortunately the next level was down because BYU Overscheduled.



I believe I recently read that BYU and ND have played 6 times - 2 wins and 4 losses. And, yes, I realize that they were therefore 1 and 1 at home and 1 and 3 in South Bend - if I read correctly. Now, quite frankly, I do not remember them playing 6 times. I was there when Lou Holtz trotted them into LES and they whipped our butts. I think I remember John Walsh pulling the upset in South Bend. And I remember another loss in South Bend. And I do not recall how they correlate with assistant coaches being run out if Provo.



I do know that losing to Texas was a bitter pill for fans to swallow - some are still not over that loss.



But what I meant is that if BYU keeps giving home field advantage to good teams the best that will come of it is a squeaker win at Okie followed by a squeaker loss at Texas - which gives you .500 and BYU fans do not tolerate .500 and heads roll. See 2010.



See Detmer's Senior season. Luckily he tied 2 or 3.



And for UW - go count how many coaches have been fired up there. Two just this year, iirc. They were once a storied program. See 1984 for example.



BTW - Bonus Question for you



Which team did UW come the closest to beating in that 0-12 Season? Hint: controversial play was penalty called on Jake Locker for throwing the ball in the air after scoring a TD. EP became a field goal distance which the opponent blocked.



Hint: think Blue and White



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
byucougar1
Bib - listen to Media Day telecast - your wish isn't happening. Their desire is to play as BYU many good teams as possible and raise the bar. They want the challenge - as Manase Tonga said - he wished he could play a lot of great team's and show they can play and bring notereity to the program. Everyone is training, learning and practicing to become a consistent Top 10 team. As Bronco stated today, they want to learn from the best NFL coaches in how to practice, train, execute, and install complex/innovative defensive/offensive sets. Doesn't appear lime status quo is acceptable.



As for recruits, follow them and you will see that we are Poly-laden this year and the players are studs regardless of what the rating system indicates. Pitta and Collie are examples of that - 2-star or not rated, performing well in NFL. I believe Bronco's player evaluation before dome beat recruit writer and the questionable star rating.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
byucougar1 wrote:
Bib - listen to Media Day telecast - your wish isn't happening. Their desire is to play as BYU many good teams as possible and raise the bar. They want the challenge - as Manase Tonga said - he wished he could play a lot of great team's and show they can play and bring notereity to the program. Everyone is training, learning and practicing to become a consistent Top 10 team. As Bronco stated today, they want to learn from the best NFL coaches in how to practice, train, execute, and install complex/innovative defensive/offensive sets. Doesn't appear lime status quo is acceptable.



As for recruits, follow them and you will see that we are Poly-laden this year and the players are studs regardless of what the rating system indicates. Pitta and Collie are examples of that - 2-star or not rated, performing well in NFL. I believe Bronco's player evaluation before dome beat recruit writer and the questionable star rating.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


I know it is not happening - and in 2013 your wish will become your biggest nightmare since 2010.



The problem keeps repeating - BYU pumps the old NC drums when they cannot even dominate the schedule they do have.



But yeah - these guys are all Poly - NFL for sure - How many of our 2 and 3 star players got drafted last year. The teams everyone seems to want to schedule week in and week out in a quest for .500 put a player or 2 or 3 into the early rounds every year. But yeah - let's play them at their place and spank them good.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
byucougar1
Getting drafted to the NFL isn't as important as eventually making a team and playing in the NFL. The key is do the players end up playing.



Check out who is still on the team camp rosters for right now and you will see that we have several players. Yesterday, you had Fui V., Vic S., Manase T. All still playing on teams and they weren't drafted but made it as free agent signees.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
A
ABYUFAN
Cougarbib2 wrote:
2 questions for cougar bib... How did Washington's 0-12 "almost" kill the program?



And which coaches got fired in our last 2 losses in South Bend?



And a bonus question of our winning percentage against Notre Dame on the road vs at home



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

I will go ahead and pretend like I think you want a real answer.



The comments were meant figuratively. And somewhat literally. Getting walloped by ND was part of an overall context where Gary Crowton over-reached in his scheduling and it resulted in bad records and he got canned. Several assistant coaches also got canned. Fan expectations were that Gary Crowton would immediately take BYU to the next level. Unfortunately the next level was down because BYU Overscheduled.



I believe I recently read that BYU and ND have played 6 times - 2 wins and 4 losses. And, yes, I realize that they were therefore 1 and 1 at home and 1 and 3 in South Bend - if I read correctly. Now, quite frankly, I do not remember them playing 6 times. I was there when Lou Holtz trotted them into LES and they whipped our butts. I think I remember John Walsh pulling the upset in South Bend. And I remember another loss in South Bend. And I do not recall how they correlate with assistant coaches being run out if Provo.



I do know that losing to Texas was a bitter pill for fans to swallow - some are still not over that loss.



But what I meant is that if BYU keeps giving home field advantage to good teams the best that will come of it is a squeaker win at Okie followed by a squeaker loss at Texas - which gives you .500 and BYU fans do not tolerate .500 and heads roll. See 2010.



See Detmer's Senior season. Luckily he tied 2 or 3.



And for UW - go count how many coaches have been fired up there. Two just this year, iirc. They were once a storied program. See 1984 for example.



BTW - Bonus Question for you



Which team did UW come the closest to beating in that 0-12 Season? Hint: controversial play was penalty called on Jake Locker for throwing the ball in the air after scoring a TD. EP became a field goal distance which the opponent blocked.



Hint: think Blue and White



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">




BYU beat ND in Provo the year Crowton got canned. we lost to them in South Bend the previous year. Notre Dame didn't factor one bit into his canning, but I uderstand, you've got a great argument and can't bother with the facts.



As far as Washington goes. I don't see how a shool firing a bunch of mediocre coaches and replacing them with better ones constitues "almost killing the program" - it's more like pruning the program and making it stronger. The Washington Program is stronger today than it was just a few years ago in the 0-12 season
M
mizzoucoug
dmcougar wrote:
Good. Let's have a brutal schedule, end up 6-6 and get over our little brother issues and move to a more reasonable schedule of 3 tough, 3 middle, and 3 easy games.

Big whoop if we play tough, big name teams loaded with 2 for 1's and rarely a great team coming to provo.

I' ll take 9 and 3 and 10 and 2 seasons, or better, than 6 and 6. If some of you schedule-Hawks want BYU to slip into irrelevancy, low fan turnouts, ESPN dwindle-ment, go ahead and reserve your eat crow ticket now and own it when we're 6 and 6. Ok, pumpkins? (since it seems to be quote movies day) :-)


Totally disagree and I think this mindset is a bit selfish as well. At the end of the day you will be able to point to 10-win seasons (just like Bronco does), but are you really able to deceive your mind so easily? I cannot. The schedules you guys want are Hawaii 2007-soft so what have you really achieved?



Bring on the big games. I want to play the best and if they beat us so be it. At least nobody can point to the time-tested SOS argument. And we don't usually get blown out but 2x per year under Bronco so embarrassment will be held to a minimum.



I love the fact that we play teams that years ago we would've been intimidated by. I think playing Ole Miss and UT were great for the program because the players and coaches see that they are mere humans too and can be beaten. When all you do is read about top teams and their hype they become untouchable in your mind. But once you beat them on the field you realize the top of the mountain is not as high as you once thought. If NC is truly your goal, then some 6-6 season are a necessity!
C
Cougs_Rule
mizzoucoug wrote:
Good. Let's have a brutal schedule, end up 6-6 and get over our little brother issues and move to a more reasonable schedule of 3 tough, 3 middle, and 3 easy games.

Big whoop if we play tough, big name teams loaded with 2 for 1's and rarely a great team coming to provo.

I' ll take 9 and 3 and 10 and 2 seasons, or better, than 6 and 6. If some of you schedule-Hawks want BYU to slip into irrelevancy, low fan turnouts, ESPN dwindle-ment, go ahead and reserve your eat crow ticket now and own it when we're 6 and 6. Ok, pumpkins? (since it seems to be quote movies day) :-)


Totally disagree and I think this mindset is a bit selfish as well. At the end of the day you will be able to point to 10-win seasons (just like Bronco does), but are you really able to deceive your mind so easily? I cannot. The schedules you guys want are Hawaii 2007-soft so what have you really achieved?



Bring on the big games. I want to play the best and if they beat us so be it. At least nobody can point to the time-tested SOS argument. And we don't usually get blown out but 2x per year under Bronco so embarrassment will be held to a minimum.



I love the fact that we play teams that years ago we would've been intimidated by. I think playing Ole Miss and UT were great for the program because the players and coaches see that they are mere humans too and can be beaten. When all you do is read about top teams and their hype they become untouchable in your mind. But once you beat them on the field you realize the top of the mountain is not as high as you once thought. If NC is truly your goal, then some 6-6 season are a necessity!


"Top teams"? As Mars aptly pointed out on another thread, OleMiss, might qualify as top of the Molehill of dung teams. And Texas was down last year as well. And we still lost.



Nice that we caught them in a down year cause we sucked only slightly less than they did.

As for "selfish reasons". Are yours really that much less selfish? You want to play with the big boys for what? To show the world that BYU wears Big Boy pants? That cracks me up. BYU wears mid-major, mid-range, medium sized pants that almost qualify as sexy. Stack up a few 6-6 seasons back to back to back and BYU fans will seem almost as fickle as Ute fans.



I'll take the 3-3-3 plan any time, any year. It's enough to have an undefeated season and make national noise. Just ask Boise State. But play 4-5 tough, 3-4 medium and 2 easy and watch BYU get dropped from ESPN. That'll prove we belong. :roll:



Nobody would be "pointing" at a 6-6 BYU anyway. What the heck would SOS matter?
Page 1 of 4
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.