Archived Topic

Wrubell tweets Improvements to come for the MC

by Cougs_Rule · 2/6/2012

Advertisement
C
Cougs_Rule
What improvements do y'all think will occur?

Seems like new chairs wold be too big an expense for the value. BUt leg room is limited.

Video boards in the "end zone" seats? Might the come as a new deal with LES video boards? Or maybe just new Vid boards to replace the current ones in the center.

Ideas?
B
billbillbillbill
I know Greg Took a picture of some blue chairs being tested at the MC and my wide butt had hope they would eventually do the hard thing and replace them. Here's hoping.



My realistic guess is an LED board for ads or something like that.
B
billbillbillbill
I actually remembered my old CB login and found the post about it because I commented on it. Here is what he said in 2009. Here's hoping!


It's purely exploratory at this point and nothing is set in stone (so don't hold me to this), but I noticed during my stop-by that a small number of blue stadium seats had temporarily replaced the old yellow chairs in one lower corner of the Marriott Center seating bowl.



Evidently, the school is looking into replacing the outdated existing bleacher benches with new bleacher benches, and there is some thought to making the replacement benches blue. That being the case, the school tried out some new blue chair seats in the chair seating area, and those seats were actually installed as a "test" in that one small area of the arena.



I imagine any seating change/color scheme change would have to wait until next season at the earliest, due to the fact that the current season is already at hand, and because since the new would-be chair seats are wider, the seating configuration itself and ticket allotment would ostensibly change--with fewer seats available.



I have kind of cringed at the "sea of yellow" for years, and have long wished for an all-blue Marriott Center interior, so yesterday's observation was a sight for sore eyes. I only hope the "trial run" is a sure sign of things to come.
G
Gunk
Do we want blue? What about white?



Imagine a white-out with white seats! Though a white-out with blue seats would be pretty cool.



Some LED screens would be cool. Also, what about a net in front of the student section to keep garbage from hitting the court given our fans our so rebellious and out of control?
S
SpiffCoug
White. We were white in bball at home.
Advertisement
S
scott715
I like the net idea!
C
CougarClaw
scott715 wrote:
I like the net idea!


I bet we can get All-State to sponsor it. maybe they can make their logo bigger and less opaque.
G
Guest
CougarClaw wrote:
I like the net idea!


I bet we can get All-State to sponsor it. maybe they can make their logo bigger and less opaque.


I was thinking the same thing.
C
Cougs_Rule
Net idea is hilarious.

White benches will get stained with cougartails and costavida and little kids' poopy butts.
S
Stirfry
Cougar blue seats would be awesome. I'd love to see a white out or blue out at any cougar game but the closest I've seen is the San Diego State game last year (which was a pretty good effort actually) and I don't remember them ever dare trying at LES.



I had the best Marriot Center seats (13 row) I've ever had for the Zags game and the guy in front of me was wearing an orange button down shirt with a green argile sweater vest! I love cougar fans but wearing the appropriate colors at games is not one or our strong suits. (I think the Aggie blue only makes this worse as it doesn't stand out as well. We need to go back to the true Cougar blue! :evil: )



I'd guess the multi use nature of the MC might be holding them back as much as anything. Although I'm not sure how the nasty orange is any better.
Advertisement
B
BYULV
Maybe they could donate the yellow/orange seats to the Aggies to put in their south end zone, I'm sure that's why they left it empty all these years.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
T
ThrowbackBlue
I “accidentally” came across some info on the matter. The seating plans are set to change completely with the student section moving to the baseline and the current student section benches being converted to chair seats (no confirmation on seat color but it sounds like they’ll be blue).



I personally don’t like the idea of moving the Student section to the baseline as it has long been what I love about the Marriot Center, but can understand the reasoning for the move. e.g. more premium seats to sell, mimic other arena setup, recent student section behavior, etc
G
Gunk
ThrowbackBlue wrote:
I “accidentally” came across some info on the matter. The seating plans are set to change completely with the student section moving to the baseline and the current student section benches being converted to chair seats (no confirmation on seat color but it sounds like they’ll be blue).



I personally don’t like the idea of moving the Student section to the baseline as it has long been what I love about the Marriot Center, but can understand the reasoning for the move. e.g. more premium seats to sell, mimic other arena setup, recent student section behavior, etc


That kind of sucks. BYU's student section is a great place to watch a game. Baseline loses some perspective.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
sage
Gunk wrote:
I “accidentally” came across some info on the matter. The seating plans are set to change completely with the student section moving to the baseline and the current student section benches being converted to chair seats (no confirmation on seat color but it sounds like they’ll be blue).



I personally don’t like the idea of moving the Student section to the baseline as it has long been what I love about the Marriot Center, but can understand the reasoning for the move. e.g. more premium seats to sell, mimic other arena setup, recent student section behavior, etc


That kind of sucks. BYU's student section is a great place to watch a game. Baseline loses some perspective.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

The very reason they are going for more bucks. Still have the rowdy students, but at lower priced seats.
Advertisement
C
Cougs_Rule
I'm a little bummed about this. You don't see the Cameron Crazies in the end zones? And when you think of great and loud student sections--which is a huge home court advantage, you dont see them in the end zone seats.

And quite frankly, I am so miffed, still, as an alum, that BYU sold its west side football soul to insufferably silent blue hairs for a mess of pottage. I hate that all those prime seats go to folks who put a small donation that paid off to the seemingly third and fourth generation. Waisted seats. Waisted arrangement. And now, if the above is true what some have said, we are waisting prime seats for the silent people.

Maybe there is some advantage to putting students in the end zones. They can scream and wave and distract from free throw shooting by the opponent. But i think that is over rated as well. BYU student section has seemed to grow stronger the last two years. I would hate to lose that strength by giving them the boot.

Thoughts?



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
BroncoBot
baseline? That sucks. Stupid move if it happens.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.