Archived Topic

Which 2012 recruit will see playing time

by byucougar1 · 2/6/2012

Advertisement
B
byucougar1
Looking at the players we landed and where there might be some opportunities available to play, I believe that D. Collie might have the best chance to get some reps. He has two brothers that played in the system (Zach and Austin) and has been mentored by both of them - especially Austin who I am sure imparts his NFL wisdom and lessons learned. His dad also runs a WR camp and has taught Dylan the nuances of route running, catching and getting separation from the DB. Bronco has said that Dylan knows more about receiving than anyone save coach Cahoon. I see him splitting time with Falslev in the H-back position - filling in for McKay Jacobsen. Should be a nice option and I expect good things to happen with the tandem of Falslev and Collie.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
M
Mars


RB Jamaal Williams

DL Troy Hinds

DL Austin Hoyt

DL Theodore King



RMs:

WR Brett Thompson

WR Mitch Mathews

DL Russel Tialavea

DB Craig Bills

DL Tui Crichton

DL Remington Peck

DL Bronson Kaufusi
L
Lawboy
I expect the RMs to contribute, especially those who already have seen PT.



But as to the incoming freshmen, I hope they all redshirt. I hope Hinds, WIlliams, Hoyt redshirt. King could see time though. Getting Dulan and Tialavea back for 2012 will help, but we still lack great depth on the DL--especially with a pass rushing DE. Perhaps Kafusi can be that guy, but I suspect he redshirts as well.
G
Guest
I agree with lawboy, there are few cases where it's not better for a true freshman to redshirt.
F
frdbtr
I'll bet we don't have any freshman contributors on the offense. On the D is another matter. I like mars list on D, I think those guys have an opportunity to contribute this year.
Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
I could see Matthews or Thompson contributing next year - especially if our TEs don't get healthy.
C
Cougarbib
Newbies and RMs are always interesting to think about - but then you have the returnees - the core of next year's team.



Is it too early to speculate the full starting line-up? Two Deep?



QB should be easy - maybe two deep will not be enough, though, if an injury occurs again to Riley.



Riley Nelson, James Lark, big ? whethers 3 would be Munns - a different kind of QB - or one of the new guys



WR should be easy unless it isn't - Hoffman, Apo, Falslev - get's tougher to rank the next 3 - will OC be in the mix?



FB - depends who is healthy and who is still rusty



TE - See FB



OL - Reynolds, Brown - I have lost track of mission plans - Matthews, ??



Kicker and Punter should stay the same as 2011. Kick and Punt returners could stay the same, or those guys could be saved for offense and OC, or others could get in the mix



DL should see a lot of changes. Linebacker should be loaded. DB - always a big question.



Anyway - not a complete rebuild, but a lot of reloading for 2012.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
M
Mars
hawkwing wrote:
I agree with lawboy, there are few cases where it's not better for a true freshman to redshirt.

Sometimes, I think it helps to play the new kids. 4 and 5 star kids need playing time right away, or they start to think about what could be elsewhere. And in Provo, Utah, non-LDS kids should be considered more to play as true freshmen, to give them something else to think about positively besides cultural shock and home-sickness. Just my non-PC opinion.
Y
Y12
hawkwing wrote:
I agree with lawboy, there are few cases where it's not better for a true freshman to redshirt.




Extra bodies are often needed for Special Teams. Freshman find homes there a lot of the time.
Y
Y12
byucougar1 wrote:
Looking at the players we landed and where there might be some opportunities available to play, I believe that D. Collie might have the best chance to get some reps. He has two brothers that played in the system (Zach and Austin) and has been mentored by both of them - especially Austin who I am sure imparts his NFL wisdom and lessons learned. His dad also runs a WR camp and has taught Dylan the nuances of route running, catching and getting separation from the DB. ... I see him splitting time with Falslev in the H-back position


Source: http://www.bluecougarfootball.com/2012/02/poll-results-which-member-of-2012.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Advertisement
C
Cougs_Rule
I know of a good hands TE that walked on and will see time in the Spring game. I am not at liberty to say who, but I am optimistic about this RM.
S
SpiffCoug
dmcougar wrote:
I know of a good hands TE that walked on and will see time in the Spring game. I am not at liberty to say who, but I am optimistic about this RM.

Excellent. We're going to need TEs in the spring game. I doubt Holt and Wilson will be ready to go (ACLs) and who knows about Mahina and his broken neck.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.