Archived Topic

Next Yewt OC

by CougarClaw · 2/2/2012

Advertisement
C
CougarClaw
Could it be true? brian Johnson?



woah.



They couldn't get a BYU coach to take the spot so they decided to promote their QB coach just like WE DID!



interesting that they waited until AFTER NLI day before making the announcement.
S
scott715
I
S
scott715
I find this surprising. What he has like 2 years of coaching experience. Big learning curve. They could not get Ty Detmer to take the position?
I
imuakahuku
Well, he ran the system for a few years as the starting QB so he has that experience, or at least experience scrambling because everything went to pot. :crazy: Let's see what he can do. A lot of chatter about him being a good QB coach, now lets see how easy it is for him as OC. I think Doman go that wake up call last year.
G
Guest
I thought Brandon Doman was too inexperienced to step into BYU's role. But Brian Johnson? Now that's hilarious. The guy has no experience except playing at Yewts.
Advertisement
U
Ungoy
I thought Kryle was smarter than this. They seriously had no better options interested in the position? Sad. Maybe they didn't want to pay the new coordinator at the standard PAC-none levels, so they hired someone with no experience.



I can't wait for this one to come back and bite them in the butt.
M
Mars
hawkwing wrote:
I thought Brandon Doman was too inexperienced to step into BYU's role. But Brian Johnson? Now that's hilarious. The guy has no experience except playing at Yewts.

I think hiring BJ and passing on Gary Crowton borderlines on insane.
J
JamieVallen
Whatever happened to the Gary Crowton to Utah thing? Did Crowton turn them down? I'm kinda glad he's not their OC because unlike many I think when just having the job as OC Crpwton can be very very effective if he gets his type of guys plugged into his system. In my opinion, the Utes having Crowton would possibly be even better than having Chow.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
SpiffCoug
jmvcougar wrote:
Whatever happened to the Gary Crowton to Utah thing? Did Crowton turn them down? I'm kinda glad he's not their OC because unlike many I think when just having the job as OC Crpwton can be very very effective if he gets his type of guys plugged into his system. In my opinion, the Utes having Crowton would possibly be even better than having Chow.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

Crowton is now coaching up in the Canadian Football League. He was hired last week by the team in Winnepeg, I think it was.
M
Mars
jmvcougar wrote:
Whatever happened to the Gary Crowton to Utah thing? Did Crowton turn them down? I'm kinda glad he's not their OC because unlike many I think when just having the job as OC Crpwton can be very very effective if he gets his type of guys plugged into his system. In my opinion, the Utes having Crowton would possibly be even better than having Chow.

It looks like they passed on Crowton and he took a semi-pro job in Canada.
Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
I'm really surprised by this. We all thought Brandon Doman would step right in and be ok at OC. He'd been the QB coach at BYU for six years before taking on the job and was 10 years removed from his playing days.



Brian Johnson has been a coach for all of two years and there are still players on this year's team that PLAYED with him in 2008.



I think this was a really bad hire/promotion. It wouldn't surprise me to see him demoted at some point this year. KWhitt demoted Schramm after one year as OC and he'd been coaching for 20 years. Utes may regret this one.
G
Guest
SpiffCoug wrote:
Whatever happened to the Gary Crowton to Utah thing? Did Crowton turn them down? I'm kinda glad he's not their OC because unlike many I think when just having the job as OC Crpwton can be very very effective if he gets his type of guys plugged into his system. In my opinion, the Utes having Crowton would possibly be even better than having Chow.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

Crowton is now coaching up in the Canadian Football League. He was hired last week by the team in Winnepeg, I think it was.


Yes, Crowton is the new offensive coordinator for the Winnipeg Blue Bombers, my Canadian Football team, since I lived in Winnipeg for a year and a half. I think it's a good fit for both and hope it works out well for them.
C
Cougs_Rule
Whats the history of OC's for last few years.

Schram--already noted.

ROderick--very little experience- decent season, can't remember record. probably kicked our butt.

Chow--uber experienced (though i wonder about his effectiveness) average results.

BJ--about as much experience as Arod. Probably will have as good or better results.

Kryle doesn't like old wine in new bottles. He wants a young guy who will not fight him. Cant say thats a bad idea. maybe Bronco did too when he picked Doman. Unity and enthusiasm over experience and baggage. He's seen him work for two years, knows his style, and likes to recruit from within.

I've quoted this before:

"A united effort with an inferior program will get a program farther than a disjointed effort with a superior program." Of course inferior has to be qualified, but ute recruiting classes are hardly horribly inferior.
B
BigCougsFan
Is this a joke???



I truly hope this is true. Even though he's a smart kid, I like this hire in our defense.
B
BigCougsFan
What ever happened to their previous OC's: Shram(spelled correctly?) and Roderick?
Advertisement
G
Guest
The problem with your comments dmcougar is that BJ is not just inexperienced, he was playing only a few years go. There are kids on the team who played with Brian Johnson! That isn't inexperienced, that's a complete lack of experience. BJ has never existed anywhere but at Utah in a football sense.



This is one of the most radical coaching hires I've ever seen. It is the equivalent of hiring Riley Nelson to be our QB coach in 2013 and bumping him to OC in 2015.
C
CougarClaw
hawkwing wrote:



It is the equivalent of hiring Riley Nelson to be our QB coach in 2013 and bumping him to OC in 2015.


BRILLIANT idea!



I'm going to email BM.
G
Gunk
hawkwing wrote:
I thought Brandon Doman was too inexperienced to step into BYU's role. But Brian Johnson? Now that's hilarious. The guy has no experience except playing at Yewts.


Exactly what I was thinking. Besides, :utard: QBs haven't had the best track record in the last couple of seasons.



Utah has absolutely no money. BJ was the best they could get.
F
frdbtr
So, do we get to play them early in the year? It is going to take at least a couple games, maybe 4 or 5 before he gets into the stride of calling plays, if even that. I respect Brandon Doman as a very sharp offensive mind and it took him until after SJSU to get into a play calling groove, and he still made bone headed calls even after that.
L
Lawboy
I give BJ 2 years tops. Maybe 1. Whit has a short leash on his OCs. This is the 5th OC Utah has had in the last 5 seasons.
Page 1 of 3
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.