Archived Topic

8 Recruits

by Mars · 2/2/2012

Advertisement
M
Mars


BYU offered 8 kids who signed with Utah this class. What an amazingly high number:



** DE Hunter Dimick http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=8&c=1&nid=5450023" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

*** OLB Chase Hansen http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=8&c=1&nid=4849607" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

*** OT Zach Lindsay http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=8&c=1&nid=5044773" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

**** C Hiva Lutui http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=8&c=1&nid=4952781" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

*** OLB Moana Ofahengaue http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=8&c=1&nid=4851718" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

*** DT Tenny Palepoi http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=8&c=1&nid=5854632" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

*** OG Junior Salt http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=8&c=1&nid=5572167" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

*** RB Kelvin York http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=8&c=1&nid=5325202" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
M
Mars


Utah offered 4 kids who signed with BYU (4 very talented players, IMO):



**** DE Troy Hinds http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=8&c=1&nid=3947030" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

*** DE Austin Hoyt http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=8&c=1&nid=5406933" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

**** QB Tanner Mangum http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=8&c=1&nid=4959786" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

*** RB Jamaal Williams http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=8&c=1&nid=5564324" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
T
trueblue72
The most disturbing thing to me is two Utah signees had parents that played at byu.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
M
Mars


Gurney saying York and Ofa had no BYU offer.



Lindsey is rumored to be an academic casualty.
C
Cougarbib
Mars wrote:


Gurney saying York and Ofa had no BYU offer.




If so - we only got 4 out of 10. If they had BYU offers we only got 4 out of 12.



Either way - "The Times They Are A Chaaan-gin" - Bob Dylan



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
M
Mars


P.S. I have no idea on Utah offers for RMs/Walk Ons. I hear Hill had an offer out of High School. I think all of the WOs had no offers from anywhere so far:



Back for winter semester/spring camp in March:

WR Brett Thompson (Louisville, Ky.)

OL Terrance Alletto (Riverside, Calif.)

WR Mitch Mathews (Orlando, Fla)

OL Fono Vakalahi (Washington, DC)

QB Taysom Hill (Sydney, Australia)

QB Ammon Olsen (Mexico City, Mexico)

DT Russell Tialavea (Santiago, Chile)



Back for preseason camp in August:

S Craig Bills (Ventura, Calif.)

S Trevor Bateman (Fort Worth, Texas)

DT Tui Crichton (Houston, Texas)

DE Remington Peck (Rochester, N.Y.)

S Jacob Hannemann (Little Rock, Ark.)

DE Bronson Kaufusi (Auckland, New Zealand)

OL Brad Wilcox (San Bernardino, Calif.)





Walk Ons:



RB NR Bryan Engstrom (0) 5-10/175

(Alta HS) Sandy, UT



QB Lahi Kautai 5-10/185

(The Oakridge School) Arlington, TX



OLB NR Josh Saafi (0) 6-4/220

(Trinity HS) Euless, TX
J
jvquarterback
2/3 4* recruits. I'll take that. The only real misses on the list are Lutui and Palepoi (and maybe Salt). Lutui might have come with an earlier offer. Palepoi who knows? If we had gone 3/3 on the 4* guys I would have been elated. Well, live and learn on Lutui - he should have been offered at one of the two camps he attended.
D
Dcr36
I'm conflicted on how troublesome this is. It bothers me we missed out on several good recruits. On the other hand, I like the recruits we DID get.



I'd be genuinely worried if this trend holds next year.



If it does become a trend, I'll be very interested in what is the primary reason. Is the Pac-12 affiliation that much sexier? Is there a paradigm shift among LDS/Utah youth? Is there a problem with our recruiting techniques?
I
imuakahuku
The way this recruiting year went it sounded more to me that the coaches started pulling offers because of needs that sprung up because of both surprise RM's (Olsen and Hill IIRC, too tired to really look it up) and one surprise mission (Mulitalo) that meant a need for a replacement. All in all I really like the guys we got. I can't wait to see what Weeks is like. I'm hoping for the second comming of Hoffman. Check out the stats



set six 3A Arizona high school records in career and is Arizona’s all-time leader in career receptions (187) and receiving yards (3,851) and receiving touchdowns (46) … played multiple positions as a senior and rushed 130 times for 1,161 yards and 13 touchdowns, caught 38 passes for 540 yards and 5 touchdowns and threw for 527 yards and 8 touchdowns … as a junior caught 73 passes for 1,561 yards and 20 touchdowns … had 47 receptions, 1,223 yards and 15 touchdowns as a sophomore … also ran track and won the 2011 400-meter state title …



Now that I think about it isn't that Reggie Bush type HS stats? 8) All kidding aside, the kid either played against really poor competition, or he is just a special talent. Can you imagine him and Cody returning kickoffs. I bet he would be lights out on punt return too after all he evidently has very soft hands and lined up at RB quite a bit last year.



BTW Im pretty stoke to see Hill play too. I think he may be a better runner and passer than Riley. Let him run scout this year along with Olsen and see what the 1st team D think. I can't wait for spring!
S
scott715
They ran out of scholarships and then very good players became available. They will reduce the early offers and make sure they get the really good guys in. I am already looking forward to next year's class.
Advertisement
G
golong
On the other hand, if Lutui was so great, and he attended to BYU camps, and BYU never offered him--until later, maybe there is a real good reason (I"m sure there was). Is he a head case? an entitlement guy? a discipline problem? or something else. I think we should be very careful in judging the coaching staff on who they offered and who they didn't, and who signed where. Utah made it very clear their big need was OL and DL guys, and they went after them, and maybe promised them the moon.
M
Mars
scott715 wrote:
They ran out of scholarships and then very good players became available. They will reduce the early offers and make sure they get the really good guys in. I am already looking forward to next year's class.

But then they offer a kid like Hicks, a completely unheralded recruit, 12 months early...
S
scott715
i wonder about Lutui, he was not LDS so maybe they wondered about his fit. He said he want BYU but that might have been to get other offers like a UU offer. The coaches know we never will. In the end he turned us down so maybe the coaches were right. Still if they offered early then they could have pulled the offer if he did not take it. maybe the coaches underestimated his eventual 4 stars ranking.
B
byucougar1
Scott is correct with his statement. Coach Dupaix stated that they will adjust/tweak their offer approach about early signings to allow for some players who they really want to receive offers later on in the year. However, they will sign early the ones that meet all of the requirements and this doesn't necessarily correlate with the star ranking provided by the agencies.



Below are the verbal commits that we have for 2013:



Dallin Leavitt, S, 5-11/195, Portland, OR, Central Catholic HS

Commit (8/25/2011)



Brayden Kearsley, OT, 6-5/270, Beaverton, OR, Aloha HS

Commit (8/9/2011)



Keegan Hicks, OL, 6-2/280, South Jordan, UT, Bingham HS

Commit (1/28/12)
S
scott715
We also have Moroni Laulu-Pututau TE 6-4/190 Hyrum, UT. I don't know much about this kid but I will the first 2 above. Did hicks commit? If so I missed it.



We also have Trajan Pili OLB 6-2/200 LV, NV. Also very good get.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.