Archived Topic

BYU's 2012 Recruiting Class

by byucougar1 · 2/1/2012

Advertisement
B
byucougar1
Interesting comments about the class of 2012 as found on True Blue Cougars:



1. Complete absence of signees from UT HS - Bingham and Timpview (in recent recruiting years they were heavy suppliers of in-state talent).



2. 25% of the class comes from Utah HS. Remainder of the players primarily come from Washington, Arizona, Idaho, Florida, California, Texas.



Looks like we are continuing to expand our geographical recruiting coverage - which may be related to the out-of-state exposure factor via ESPN/Independence factor.
C
Cougarbib
Just out of curiosity - is it OK to ask in polite company where the BYU class is ranked. U claims a top 25 or better. Nobody is even tossing out a number here for Y again this year.



Even though stars and rankings are not perfect, we sure talked about them a lot for the 2010 class before going silent for two years running.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
M
MTM
Cougarbib2 wrote:
Just out of curiosity - is it OK to ask in polite company where the BYU class is ranked. U claims a top 25 or better. Nobody is even tossing out a number here for Y again this year.



Even though stars and rankings are not perfect, we sure talked about them a lot for the 2010 class before going silent for two years running.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


I try to be polite company and since nobody else has answered-

Rivals does a Top 50 and BYU isn't on it.

EPSN does a Top 25 and no BYU

Scout has BYU #55
T
trueblue72
Class rankings are highly overrated, MTM thanks for the update. I think of the U in their 08 season and how much fuss Barry Switzer made of the U recruiting class not even being top 50 and look what happened. Yes, certain teams do get more talent than others but I look at how many walk-on's at BYU that have gone on to do great things and even make it to the NFL. Utah has had similar success with Walk-on's, I think of Steve Tate for one and I know there are many others, Eric Weddle was a 2-star recruit.



So although these rankings may show how they rate in high school, they don't necessarily translate over to the collegiate level. Also position change in College has a lot to do with success, look at KVN, a WR in high school and first thing BYU did was move him to LB. There are many examples from every college how position change can give a players career new life.
C
Cougarpoke
I would agree with the prior statement. BYU will never be a blue chipper's prime destination unless he is LDS. Even then, it has proven difficult for BYU to get those recruits or have them stay. Some of our best players have been 1-3 star recruits, and some even walk ons. I am not putting a lot of stock into the stars system, but in the same breathe, I love getting 4 and 5* recruits and would love to get more. Recruiting is such a gamble.
Advertisement
F
frdbtr
A couple things on class rankings. BYU only signed 17 recruits, that in and of itself will knock their recruiting ranking down because the rankings give weight to volume of recruits. If BYU had a full class of 25 the ranking would be higher. I would rather see a list of the recruits and what they are individually rated which I can't find. I am sure the u got a good class, that is what happens to BCS teams. Someone on a BYU message board showed a great graphic of what happened to louisville's recruits when they went from conference usa to the Big east, they went from averaging like 1.5 stars to 3.5 stars within a year.
C
CougarClaw
frdbtr wrote:
Someone on a BYU message board showed a great graphic of what happened to louisville's recruits when they went from conference usa to the Big east, they went from averaging like 1.5 stars to 3.5 stars within a year.


wow it took rating services only a year to upgrade all their same recruits? huh. Imagine that. ;)
I
imuakahuku
I think Weeks was underated. I think he is a Cody Hoffman prototype except maybe faster. Can't wait to see him on the field. Our QB's must be salivating thinking of Apo, Hoffman, and Weeks. Three guys that you should be able to just throw it at and they will go get it.
F
frdbtr
imuakahuku wrote:
I think Weeks was underated. I think he is a Cody Hoffman prototype except maybe faster. Can't wait to see him on the field. Our QB's must be salivating thinking of Apo, Hoffman, and Weeks. Three guys that you should be able to just throw it at and they will go get it.


When all is said an done, Weeks might end up better than Hoff and Apo.
B
bigbluepuma
frdbtr wrote:
I think Weeks was underated. I think he is a Cody Hoffman prototype except maybe faster. Can't wait to see him on the field. Our QB's must be salivating thinking of Apo, Hoffman, and Weeks. Three guys that you should be able to just throw it at and they will go get it.


When all is said an done, Weeks might end up better than Hoff and Apo.


He may be one of the fastest ever, and he can actually catch the ball--plus do a lot of other things. I'm pretty excited to see him in cougar blue.
Advertisement
B
byucougar1
Some interesting comments by Bronco about this recruiting class. He noted that they can do it all - on field talent, academics, honor code, service and they want to be at Y. Bronco interested first and foremost interested if they can qualify at BYU...if they're good students, and can live by BYU standards/HC. Any player who they recruit and doesn't come to the Y apparently is not the right fit, and that they have probably found the best school that meets their needs. He also indicated that where we can expect the most input from this class will be at RB, QB and DL. It appears that Williams, Hill and Johnson might have opportunity to be early season contributors.
S
scott715
The CC board has been pretty quiet today for a signing day. No surprises or suspense this year. Williams is only 16. Pretty young to go against the big boys. He might need to grow some more before getting thrown in. With our openings at RB we might not be able to wait for him.
L
Lawboy
I think Juice was 17 his freshman year as well. So, I agree to a RS.
J
jonnylingo
I love this year's signing class. I just wish we could have landed some of the three star lineman that utah beat us for.
S
scott715
Small class, about half I am excited about. The others we will have to see how they do.
Advertisement
B
byucougar1
Things to keep in mind regarding this class. It is small (the kids who turned in their signed commitments) due to scholarship limitations and having to account for RMs. We only have a total of 85 schollies, and I believe that we have 12 returning RMs. Combine this number with our 17 and we have 29 total. Note the RMs returning have experience in the program - some have even started or played prior to mission, are more mature and ready to step in and play (assuming their conditioning program gets them ready by fall).



What we don't have in numbers from the new incoming ranks, we have in quality:



According to a Blue Cougar Football article, the following players were all-state in their respective states.



Micah Hannemann (UT), Taysom Hill (ID), Troy Hinds (UT), Austin Hoyt (CA), Tanner Mangum (ID), Ammon Olsen (UT), Butch Pau'u (CA), Steven Richards (UT, honorable mention), Rhett Sandlin (UT, honorable mention), and Josh Weeks (AZ)

Hinds and Weeks were also Maxpreps All-Americans, and Mangum was the MVP of the Under Armour All-America Game.



In addition, all 17 signees received recognition on some higher level as an all-league, all-conference, all-region player, or player of the year honors.



Finally, all of the players recruited were specifically picked to fill in areas where we will need the most help shoring up our depth. Several of the players are expected to contribute immediately (M. Johnson, T. King and J. Williams). I believe we should refrain from making too serious a judgment on their talent based upon their star ranking, and have a little more faith in the evaluation made by the coaches. Afterall, look at how FL and TX did last year with all of their 4-5 star players.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.