Archived Topic

Did Ute PAC Membership Affect Recruiting

by Cougarbib · 1/31/2012

Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
IDK how much it affected BYU recruiting, but Deseret News article today called it a top 25 class with potential to go higher. They bear out USC and Florida and BYU o several guys. Lots of JC transfers to address specific needs. Kyle took at direct poke at MWC and indirect one at BYU when he said that due to PAC membership Utah can access better recruits because they do not need to try to explain away their position.



If they whoop us in recruiting they will likely whoop us on the field.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
byucougar1
Again - stars are over-rated (need we mention Heaps, five start QB, and the ND debacle at QB where they have always received top-rated QBs but never produced). Bronco and company make mistakes, but they vet the young men very well and generally find the players that adjust well into the system. BTW - how many walk-ons have we sent to the NFL (can think of quite a few - Chad Lewis, Dennis Pitta, Andrew Rich, et. al.).
M
MTM
I'm biased but I would answer with a resounding "yes" at least from Utah's perspective.



I don't follow BYU recruiting as much so I don't know how this class compares with years past for you guys.
G
Guest
Utah's recruiting has gone so well they are too afraid to continue playing BYU. As soon as they grow a pair and continue the series its obvious they aren't confident in their recruits, coaches or team.
M
MTM
hawkwing wrote:
Utah's recruiting has gone so well they are too afraid to continue playing BYU. As soon as they grow a pair and continue the series its obvious they aren't confident in their recruits, coaches or team.


Good grief. They're not afraid.



There is too much up in the air still about 2013's schedule. If Utah has 5 road conference games and the Big 12/PAC12 in in place for them by then and that one gets scheduled @Big10 they already would have 6 road games and they won't do 5 home 7 road just to keep the rivalry game. Nobody would.



If 2013 has 6 home games in place, personally I think they'll do @BYU.
Advertisement
M
mormonrasta
MTM wrote:
Utah's recruiting has gone so well they are too afraid to continue playing BYU. As soon as they grow a pair and continue the series its obvious they aren't confident in their recruits, coaches or team.


Good grief. They're not afraid.



There is too much up in the air still about 2013's schedule. If Utah has 5 road conference games and the Big 12/PAC12 in in place for them by then and that one gets scheduled @Big10 they already would have 6 road games and they won't do 5 home 7 road just to keep the rivalry game. Nobody would.



If 2013 has 6 home games in place, personally I think they'll do @BYU.


The Big 10 partnership won't be in effect by 2013.
C
Cougarbib
I am not wild about stars until I see it on the field and I love underdogs and overachievers. But, if BYU offers and a guy picks U - that means that one of our well-vetted potential recruits got away and although a little of that happens every year, I do not recall seeing as many of those in any year prior as the U claims to have gotten in this class.



Now if U players are claiming they were offered by BYU but they were not actually offered - that is different.



Anyway, it seems that in the past BYU almost never lost an in-state guy to U or USU if Y offered. Last year we lost a RB we wanted - but he got beat out and U got another stud RB this class, so maybe Harvey Langi will have to wonder about thinking he would play right away at U on his way to the NFL.



And U hit Juco pretty heavy. And many U recruits would not be HC compatible - I get that.



But when Y offers and player goes U - ouch.



As I posted previously, I do not get why an LDS player wanting to live LDS standards and to find an eternal mate to take to the Temple would ever choose U over Y. Just do not get it. Even with PAC. Indy has enough positives to be a great path to NFL if the player has NFL chops.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
M
MTM
mormonrasta wrote:
hawkwing wrote:
Utah's recruiting has gone so well they are too afraid to continue playing BYU. As soon as they grow a pair and continue the series its obvious they aren't confident in their recruits, coaches or team.


Good grief. They're not afraid.



There is too much up in the air still about 2013's schedule. If Utah has 5 road conference games and the Big 12/PAC12 in in place for them by then and that one gets scheduled @Big10 they already would have 6 road games and they won't do 5 home 7 road just to keep the rivalry game. Nobody would.



If 2013 has 6 home games in place, personally I think they'll do @BYU.


The Big 10 partnership won't be in effect by 2013.


It will be "in place" by 2017 but some schools could start playing sooner if schedules allow. (per USA Today article)



All I'm saying is that right now all Utah knows about their 2013 schedule is that they have USU at home. The could have 5 road games for conference alone. Until they have a better idea of what it might look like they aren't going to commit to anything.
I
imuakahuku
MTM wrote:
MTM wrote:
Utah's recruiting has gone so well they are too afraid to continue playing BYU. As soon as they grow a pair and continue the series its obvious they aren't confident in their recruits, coaches or team.


Good grief. They're not afraid.



There is too much up in the air still about 2013's schedule. If Utah has 5 road conference games and the Big 12/PAC12 in in place for them by then and that one gets scheduled @Big10 they already would have 6 road games and they won't do 5 home 7 road just to keep the rivalry game. Nobody would.



If 2013 has 6 home games in place, personally I think they'll do @BYU.


The Big 10 partnership won't be in effect by 2013.


It will be "in place" by 2017 but some schools could start playing sooner if schedules allow. (per USA Today article)



All I'm saying is that right now all Utah knows about their 2013 schedule is that they have USU at home. The could have 5 road games for conference alone. Until they have a better idea of what it might look like they aren't going to commit to anything.


Isn't it Utah's turn for the home game in the series? We played them at LES this past season.
M
MTM
It's 2013 in question.

BYU @ Utah this fall.

2013 is not scheduled yet.
Advertisement
G
golong
Utah also has big name recruits who do not work out, don't play, or transfer; so the story isn't over yet on these top recruits. Y fans should not be panicking because we lose a couple of recruits to the U. Utah did not out play BYU last year in SLC, and this year was a turnover freak show.



And every team in the country cycles up and down a bit, BYU has had two sort of down years, we'll cycle up soon.
D
DarthMagnus
Cougarbib2 wrote:



As I posted previously, I do not get why an LDS player wanting to live LDS standards and to find an eternal mate to take to the Temple would ever choose U over Y. Just do not get it. Even with PAC. Indy has enough positives to be a great path to NFL if the player has NFL chops.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Perhaps attitudes like this might influence LDS players to stray away from BYU. Maybe they don't want to deal with the idea of being pushed into finding an "eternal mate" or the other ecclesiastical and social pressures that exist at the Y. I'm not saying those are bad things but to say that any good mormon kid should want them is a step too far in my opinion.



To the subject of the recruiting classes though, I don't know what to think yet. Utes have a good class. That doesn't always translate on the field, but if I had to choose, I'd take a good class over a poor class. BYU's isn't a poor class though and they need the right kind of guys to fit the system. Jury is still out for me.
L
Larrycoug
I totally agree with Cougarbib2's comment below with the added edits.


Cougarbib2 wrote:



As I posted previously, I do not get why an LDS player wanting to [be forced to] live LDS standards and to find an eternal mate [that also wanted to be forced live LDS standards] to take to the Temple would ever choose U over Y. Just do not get it. Even with PAC. Indy has enough positives to be a great path to NFL if the player has NFL chops.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


I went to BYU but also to non church run grad schools and lived LDS standards at both. Seems to me that if a player is confident in his moral compass this--needing a crutch to live LDS standards--issue isn't going to come into play.
M
Mars
Larrycoug wrote:
I went to BYU but also to non church run grad schools and lived LDS standards at both. Seems to me that if a player is confident in his moral compass--the whole needing a crutch to live LDS standards thins isn't going to come into play.

That's a weird way to look at it.
L
Larrycoug
Mars wrote:
I went to BYU but also to non church run grad schools and lived LDS standards at both. Seems to me that if a player is confident in his moral compass--the whole needing a crutch to live LDS standards thins isn't going to come into play.

That's a weird way to look at it.


Just saying you don't need BYU to live LDS standards.
Advertisement
S
Schmoe
Larrycoug wrote:
Larrycoug wrote:
I went to BYU but also to non church run grad schools and lived LDS standards at both. Seems to me that if a player is confident in his moral compass--the whole needing a crutch to live LDS standards thins isn't going to come into play.

That's a weird way to look at it.


Just saying you don't need BYU to live LDS standards.


Sure, but that doesn't mean that those who do attend BYU or want to attend BYU "need a crutch to live LDS standards."
L
Larrycoug
Schmoe wrote:
Mars wrote:
I went to BYU but also to non church run grad schools and lived LDS standards at both. Seems to me that if a player is confident in his moral compass--the whole needing a crutch to live LDS standards thins isn't going to come into play.

That's a weird way to look at it.


Just saying you don't need BYU to live LDS standards.


Sure, but that doesn't mean that those who do attend BYU or want to attend BYU "need a crutch to live LDS standards."


Yes, I agree with that--which is not the point I was trying to make. Cougarbib2 said that he doesn't "get why an LDS player wanting to live LDS standards ... would ever choose the U over the Y." In other words BYU would help them live LDS standards. Kind of like crutches help someone to walk.
M
Mars
Larrycoug wrote:
Yes, I agree with that--which is not the point I was trying to make. Cougarbib2 said that he doesn't "get why an LDS player wanting to live LDS standards ... would ever choose the U over the Y." In other words BYU would help them live LDS standards. Kind of like crutches help someone to walk.

I think it's the "Why would someone who doesn't want to drink alcohol hang out at a bar?" theory. It's up to the person either way, but yes, life can be easier socially or life can be harder.



My older sister was a scholarship athlete at Arizona. I spend a few months living with her and her roommates, and yeah, it would have been a bad choice for me to have gone to school at UofA instead of BYU. Completely different environments. Instead I went to BYU, met an active LDS girl, got married, and had 3 kids. I think that would have been much more difficult as a Wildcat. But that's just my experience and perspective.



As an aside, she was active as a freshman, but hasn't gone to church since her sophomore year, and still hasn't found a man to marry, though she wants to. BYU had offered her a scholarship- I imagine her life would be very different (and quite possibly better) had she taken that instead.
S
scott715
Good example. BYU is a great place but if the Lord tells you to go somewhere else then that is what you should do. BYU is not the place for all member kids for a thousand reasons.
L
Larrycoug
Mars wrote:
Yes, I agree with that--which is not the point I was trying to make. Cougarbib2 said that he doesn't "get why an LDS player wanting to live LDS standards ... would ever choose the U over the Y." In other words BYU would help them live LDS standards. Kind of like crutches help someone to walk.

I think it's the "Why would someone who doesn't want to drink alcohol hang out at a bar?" theory. It's up to the person either way, but yes, life can be easier socially or life can be harder.



I think seeing the world outside of Provo as a bar isn't at all realistic, though I do think a lot of members see it that way and tend to isolate themselves as a result.



On a side note, we just had our 3rd child after recently moving to NJ. We were brought around 25 meals, almost all of which were amazing (delicious and healthy). 2 came from ward members and the rest from people from people in our community.
Page 1 of 3
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.