Archived Topic

Raul Delgado - a 2 you can count on

by craigoscarson · 1/30/2012

Advertisement
C
craigoscarson
http://www.heraldextra.com/sports/college/byu/basketball/former-springville-basketball-star-delgado-verbally-commits-to-byu/article_2ec43200-4b75-11e1-a067-0019bb2963f4.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



This guy will make everyone on the team better, and allow for Zylstra to play less minutes (hopefully more quality though).



19.7 ppg with a 43% 3pt avg at a top 20 juco school = bonfide and better than anyone we have playing at the 2 right now.

More importantly, the kid can play defense.



This also ends any speculation about Martineau returning to the team (Delgado gets 2 maybe 3 years if they redshirt him, Haws comes in and I'm not sure that Cusick isn't getting a scholarship if one is available) (lose 2 + Martineau = delgado, haws, cusick?)
S
SpiffCoug
Wasn't Stephen Rogers supposed to be the solution to our outside shooting because he tore it up in JC? I'll wait and see before dubbing this kid the answer.



I do agree that he likely spells the end of Martineau's time in the program.
C
craigoscarson
SpiffCoug wrote:
Wasn't Stephen Rogers supposed to be the solution to our outside shooting because he tore it up in JC? I'll wait and see before dubbing this kid the answer.



I do agree that he likely spells the end of Martineau's time in the program.


Rogers problems are more because he doesn't have a position. Is he a 3, is a 4? However, barring injury, he's the perfect 6th man. (where exactly was Rogers going to play last year? and this year is an injury thing...)



What makes Delgado so great is that the 2 is a position he can man at the next level and start.
G
Gunk
craigoscarson wrote:
Wasn't Stephen Rogers supposed to be the solution to our outside shooting because he tore it up in JC? I'll wait and see before dubbing this kid the answer.



I do agree that he likely spells the end of Martineau's time in the program.


Rogers problems are more because he doesn't have a position. Is he a 3, is a 4? However, barring injury, he's the perfect 6th man. (where exactly was Rogers going to play last year? and this year is an injury thing...)



What makes Delgado so great is that the 2 is a position he can man at the next level and start.


Rogers also hasn't had the benefit on consistent minutes. For the brief time that he was getting consistent min early in the season he showed signs of improvement.



Playing 10 min for one game and then sitting for the next two doesn't really bode well for establishing a rhythm.





We need a legit 2 that can score. That's the 2's job. None of this Sam Burgess, Brock Zylstra stuff.
Advertisement
B
byucougar1
If Raul can score like Paul (Pierce) then we will drawool :P having at least three scorers on the court at the same time in 2012-2013 (Carlino, Delgado, Davies).
C
craigoscarson
Gunk wrote:
SpiffCoug wrote:
Wasn't Stephen Rogers supposed to be the solution to our outside shooting because he tore it up in JC? I'll wait and see before dubbing this kid the answer.



I do agree that he likely spells the end of Martineau's time in the program.


Rogers problems are more because he doesn't have a position. Is he a 3, is a 4? However, barring injury, he's the perfect 6th man. (where exactly was Rogers going to play last year? and this year is an injury thing...)



What makes Delgado so great is that the 2 is a position he can man at the next level and start.


Rogers also hasn't had the benefit on consistent minutes. For the brief time that he was getting consistent min early in the season he showed signs of improvement.



Playing 10 min for one game and then sitting for the next two doesn't really bode well for establishing a rhythm.





We need a legit 2 that can score. That's the 2's job. None of this Sam Burgess, Brock Zylstra stuff.




I'll take a 2 that can play perimeter D. Raul can do that. There was little question coming out of springville that he could play D1 defense. He played AAU ball with Davies, Collinsworth, and others and was known as a lock down defender. The fact that he's now shown that he can fill it up is a bonus.
G
Gunk
I'll glady take one of those.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
K
kjjson
byucougar1 wrote:
If Raul can score like Paul (Pierce) then we will drawool :P having at least three scorers on the court at the same time in 2012-2013 (Carlino, Delgado, Davies).


Don't forget about Haws. When does he get back, and will he be able to back in shape by the start of the season?
B
BYULV
kjjson wrote:
If Raul can score like Paul (Pierce) then we will drawool :P having at least three scorers on the court at the same time in 2012-2013 (Carlino, Delgado, Davies).


Don't forget about Haws. When does he get back, and will he be able to back in shape by the start of the season?


He left immediately after the season 2 years ago, so he should have plenty of time to get back into shape.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
M
Mars
SpiffCoug wrote:
Wasn't Stephen Rogers supposed to be the solution to our outside shooting because he tore it up in JC? I'll wait and see before dubbing this kid the answer.

Rogers averaged 11 points per game early this this, before injury.
B
beauso79
What about a future 4 we can count on??



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
E
EM_Puma
Tyler Haws is scheduled back in mid-April. Won't be long now. He's been an AP since last July.



I loved the post at TBS of Delgado's AAU coach from before his Juco career:

He is a 2 guard that might be able to cover the 1 at times. He is a leaper and a great athlete. He had a chance to play safety at Utah so that is the type of toughness he brings on the court.

He had a temper and attitude that I hope he has gotten under control. He is very rugged on the court. Many flagrant fouls and technicals from forearm shivers, cheap shots, etc....

I would have to think he has changed (I have heard he has done so) otherwise he would never make it at BYU without an attitude adjustment.

Think of Hafa in a 6'2" frame. Tats and all. He will not be your typical looking BYU player on the court but may be just what we need to toughen up the team and be able to score it from the outside and getting to the rim with tenacity. Kid can dunk on you with the best of 'em! Kid won't back down from anyone!
C
Cougarbib
OK Craig - bottom line - are you as confident about Raul as you were about Noah back in 2009/10? If you are - I will bite.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
craigoscarson
Cougarbib2 wrote:
OK Craig - bottom line - are you as confident about Raul as you were about Noah back in 2009/10? If you are - I will bite.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


I would need to see a lot more of Delgado before making that leap. I know enough about him to know that he fills a serious need, but not enough to predict that he'll be an all american candidate. I will go watch him play if they make it to the juco national championship games in Kansas; then I'll have a much better idea.
Advertisement
M
Mars


I worry about his "fit" at BYU, socially. I also worry about his style of play being too selfish for the Coach Rose system (taking too many bad shots). That doesn't mean he can't succeed in both areas, of course.
G
Gunk
Mars wrote:
I also worry about his style of play being too selfish for the Coach Rose system (taking too many bad shots). That doesn't mean he can't succeed in both areas, of course.


Selfish like Jimmer or selfish like JT?



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
M
Mars
Gunk wrote:
Selfish like Jimmer or selfish like JT?

Good question. Usually it's crazy to shoot over 20 3-pointers in one game, but he made 43% of them last season.
K
kjjson
Wow, 6 of the 14 players on the roster went to High School in Utah.
K
kjjson
Mars wrote:
Selfish like Jimmer or selfish like JT?

Good question. Usually it's crazy to shoot over 20 3-pointers in one game, but he made 43% of them last season.


Yeah, usually I am not too keen on 1 player taking 23 3 pointers in a game, but if he makes 12 of them, I guess you can't complain. We definetly could have used that percentage over the last few games.

http://www.njcaa.org/colleges_college_player.cfm?category=stats&sid=4&divid=1&slid=2&collegeId=1624&teamid=119422&athleteid=319874&seasonselect=556
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.