Archived Topic

BYU Crowd

by oldestlion · 1/29/2012

Advertisement
O
oldestlion
I really like you guys, but...



Sure the refs were bad. Every team in the conference has to put up with them as so do their fans. With three minutes to go, the fouls were even but the BYU fans acted like the Cougars were the only team getting called.



The fans were a major factor in BYU's loss and you guys can't be proud about it. They distracted the team, got a technical and whipped Dave Rose, usually calm and collected, into such a frenzy that he got a technical right when the Cougars were coming back. It doesn't matter whether the call was right or wrong (it was obviously wrong), but the ensuing technical, not the call, took BYU out of the game.



Cut the whining about the refs. It's not doing you or BYU any good and it won't in the future.
B
beauso79
Seriously, a poor call at the end of the game that totally screws our momentum and Rose doesn't have reason to be pissed about that?? Come on. The refs were bad but Rose had every right to earn a technical on that one play. The crowd didn't do us any favors but the refs had it coming. That was bad



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
Brayden Green
It was 10 points at the closest point. The crowd didn't cause Cusick and Zylstra to play some of the worst zone defense I have ever seen in my life and give 4 wide open 3 pointers in a row...



BYU lost this one, plain and simple. The crowd had nothing to do with it. They were just innocent bystanders that lost a leg in that absolute fiasco bomb called ego-driven refereeing.
S
Schmoe
It is unacceptable to have a potential 3-bid league with officials who are this poor. These guys are one step above YMCA officials (if that).
D
Dcr36
I don't have a problem with booing refs. I do have a problem with the crowd becoming an adverse factor. I do think that happened tonight.



I don't agree with oldestlion's suggestion that the fans were a "major factor" in the loss, but they were A factor. I don't know if the crowd was a net negative/positive for BYU's performance - BYU started playing out of control around the same time the crowd got out of control, but the crowd's continued enthusiasm seemed to be a partial motivator as they improved down the stretch.



But it's an undeniable fact that the fans enabled SMC to have a 5-point possession, at the very least. Throwing stuff out on the court, AFTER a warning, is selfish. (I was at the game, when the first warning was issued, I shouted "Eh, keep throwing anyway" sardonically because I felt the game was a lost cause already - I felt pretty stupid when it actually happened. :~( )



It's interesting to get home and get on to Twitter and see BYU fans who are genuinely embarrassed and ashamed about what happened - I was up in the nosebleeds with families and I kinda watched it with utter bemusement, not revulsion or participation. Between the reffing and the crowd reaction, it seemed like one big absurdist joke. I didn't think it was evil or hateful as much as it was stupid.



Still, this is the flipside of having an enthusiastic home crowd, especially one unaccustomed to losing. It's funny - year after year I hear BYU fans complaining about the quiet, passionless football fans and praising the loud, energetic basketball fans. Having that sort of passion can have a dark side, and I think we saw that tonight.



I do hope nobody bases their opinion of BYU or the LDS Church based on what some idiot kids did tonight.
Advertisement
S
snoscythe
In high school we went to watch a big district game on the other side of the state that was kind of like that--home team getting jobbed by refs, crowd throwing crap, home crowd getting warnings. So what did we do as conscientious visiting team fans? Every time after the warning that the home crowd got riled, we'd throw drinks and trash on the court and get a T on the crowd and send our boys to the line. We gave our team 10 free foul shots that night in a 14 point win by gaming the stupid technicals on the fans rule.
H
HoosierCougar
snoscythe wrote:
In high school we went to watch a big district game on the other side of the state that was kind of like that--home team getting jobbed by refs, crowd throwing crap, home crowd getting warnings. So what did we do as conscientious visiting team fans? Every time after the warning that the home crowd got riled, we'd throw drinks and trash on the court and get a T on the crowd and send our boys to the line. We gave our team 10 free foul shots that night in a 14 point win by gaming the stupid technicals on the fans rule.

Yep. I've seen this play out several times in HS. And my first thought aftr the warning last night was that every SMC fan in the MC was looking for something heavy enough to get to the floor from their seat. Didn't play out like that... as far as I know. But I agree it is a stupid rule. However, having been hit by both gummy bears and coins in HS games, I am against throwing things on the court.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
SpiffCoug
BYU's crowd was unacceptable tonight. You can't cost your team points by crossing the line from whining/complaining/booing/cheering against the refs to throwing things onto the court and losing your composure.



The atmosphere was great until they crossed the line.



The refs also did a poor job of handling the situation as well. They clearly let the crowd get to them as well. They became more demonstrative in their calls and were, IMO, playing to the crowd and trying to show them up as well.



The refs were very bad on both ends of the court for both teams. But SMC is a team that is good enough to fight/play through bad officiating. BYU isn't.



I'm not a fan of games that feature 48 fouls called and 55 free throws attempted in a 40 minute game. That many fouls and FTs is a sign of refs being way too involved in the game.
C
Cougarbib
Throwing trash on your own floor is like crapping in your own bed - stinks. But how does a ref really know which fans are really throwing the stuff?



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
BerliNY
Cougarbib2 wrote:
Throwing trash on your own floor is like crapping in your own bed - stinks. But how does a ref really know which fans are really throwing the stuff?



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Srsly. My plan of action next year when BYU plays @ SMC:

1. Buy a ream of paper and an SMC hoodie and wear it to the game.

2. Get 5-ish buddies to do the same.

3. Wad up the paper into balls and throw them on the court anytime a call goes against SMC.



Calling fouls against the crowd is just about the dumbest thing I've ever heard of and has potentially huge unintended consequences.
Advertisement
D
Dcr36
BerliNY wrote:
Throwing trash on your own floor is like crapping in your own bed - stinks. But how does a ref really know which fans are really throwing the stuff?



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Srsly. My plan of action next year when BYU plays @ SMC:

1. Buy a ream of paper and an SMC hoodie and wear it to the game.

2. Get 5-ish buddies to do the same.

3. Wad up the paper into balls and throw them on the court anytime a call goes against SMC.



Calling fouls against the crowd is just about the dumbest thing I've ever heard of and has potentially huge unintended consequences.


Just so we're clear - you guys saw the game, right? The trash, including the one that led to the T, DEFINITELY came from the BYU student section. And it wasn't isolated - a LOT of stuff was getting thrown. Probably didn't show up on TV because most of it didn't make it on the court.
K
KYCoug
BerliNY wrote:
Throwing trash on your own floor is like crapping in your own bed - stinks. But how does a ref really know which fans are really throwing the stuff?



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Srsly. My plan of action next year when BYU plays @ SMC:

1. Buy a ream of paper and an SMC hoodie and wear it to the game.

2. Get 5-ish buddies to do the same.

3. Wad up the paper into balls and throw them on the court anytime a call goes against SMC.



Calling fouls against the crowd is just about the dumbest thing I've ever heard of and has potentially huge unintended consequences.


I understand the anger but throwing things on the floor can never be justified! I was embarrassed, at this classless act. I don't have a problem with booing the Refs but throwing things on the floor has no redeeming value at all and only brings discredit to the team and the University. They should point out the guilty ones and have them escorted from the MC and arrested. The danger that brings to the players and the very team you support is just appalling. I've been to enough games where I've had beer cups and who knows what else thrown on me that I abhor the act. Please Cougs, we are better than that!!!!
M
Mars
oldestlion wrote:
The fans were a major factor in BYU's loss and you guys can't be proud about it. They distracted the team, got a technical and whipped Dave Rose, usually calm and collected, into such a frenzy that he got a technical right when the Cougars were coming back.

I would argue that the SMC player who had the ball, and reached out and pushed Carlino to the floor, only to have the ref called a foul against Carlino, it what made Dave Rose go crazy. And rightfully so. That call, among dozens others, was bush-league awful. So it fits well with out our team played yesterday.
M
Mars
BlueIsBetter wrote:
It was 10 points at the closest point.

It was tied at the closest point. 9 point SMC lead was the closest in the 2nd half. And yes, 2 free throws and the ball does affect the game, and that was the crowd's fault (technical foul for 2nd time throwing items on the floor).
M
Mars
SpiffCoug wrote:
I'm not a fan of games that feature 48 fouls called and 55 free throws attempted in a 40 minute game. That many fouls and FTs is a sign of refs being way too involved in the game.

Well said. You know it's bad reffing when guys like Ken Pomeroy mention it, as well as KSL, the SLTrib, the D News, etc (and not just fans).
Advertisement
D
Dcr36
Mars wrote:
The fans were a major factor in BYU's loss and you guys can't be proud about it. They distracted the team, got a technical and whipped Dave Rose, usually calm and collected, into such a frenzy that he got a technical right when the Cougars were coming back.

I would argue that the SMC player who had the ball, and reached out and pushed Carlino to the floor, only to have the ref called a foul against Carlino, it what made Dave Rose go crazy. And rightfully so. That call, among dozens others, was bush-league awful. So it fits well with out our team played yesterday.


Yep. I don't approve of the actions of some of the BYU crowd last night. I do approve of, and actively applauded, Coach Rose getting T'd up. Sometimes standing up for your players/teammates can pay big dividends for team unity down the line.
C
Cougs_Rule
Yes the trash throwing costed out team some points and momentum and our reputation will be set in the WCC as a bunch of Ainge like cry babies who complain about every call and throw trash if the refs don't call it BYU's way.

The T on Rose was more about the horrible call on Winder, I thought. It was grossly incompetent.

I have heard slams like, "refs suck", but I have never heard "worst refs ever."

The refs didn't cost us the game. Bt they very well could of. The horrible calls on SMC were ticky tack and inconsequential, almost slap in the face to byu kind of calls.

There wAs only one very blatant missed call against SMC, the jump ball call where e ref from the other side of the floor, totally blind to what was going on right by the byu bench. It was clearly out on byu.

I will say that, and I am a ref boo-er, that I have not seen a byu crowd display such broad-based lack of civility. As mark currant said in the minute following the end of the game, "it takes a lot to make all 22,000 Mormon fans angry." a little bit like the GOP primary race. Never seen such incivility.

Too bad we couldnt hit more threes, been in that game, and had a legit reason to Go bananas.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
Brayden Green
Mars wrote:
It was 10 points at the closest point.

It was tied at the closest point. 9 point SMC lead was the closest in the 2nd half. And yes, 2 free throws and the ball does affect the game, and that was the crowd's fault (technical foul for 2nd time throwing items on the floor).


in the second half...



After those 4 direct 3's in a row in the first half, it was game over.
B
BroncoBot
dmcougar wrote:
Yes the trash throwing costed out team some points and momentum and our reputation will be set in the WCC as a bunch of Ainge like cry babies who complain about every call and throw trash if the refs don't call it BYU's way.

The T on Rose was more about the horrible call on Winder, I thought. It was grossly incompetent.

I have heard slams like, "refs suck", but I have never heard "worst refs ever."

The refs didn't cost us the game. Bt they very well could of. The horrible calls on SMC were ticky tack and inconsequential, almost slap in the face to byu kind of calls.

There wAs only one very blatant missed call against SMC, the jump ball call where e ref from the other side of the floor, totally blind to what was going on right by the byu bench. It was clearly out on byu.

I will say that, and I am a ref boo-er, that I have not seen a byu crowd display such broad-based lack of civility. As mark currant said in the minute following the end of the game, "it takes a lot to make all 22,000 Mormon fans angry." a little bit like the GOP primary race. Never seen such incivility.

Too bad we couldnt hit more threes, been in that game, and had a legit reason to Go bananas.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

First, a fan should never throw stuff onto their own floor, or an opponents floor. That's inexcusable. It's a game and your putting someone's health at risk. Never worth it and is just stupid.



Dave Rose's T was great. He had to make a stand for his team's efforts.



I don't know if anyone remembers when OSU visited the "delta center" but the crowd got ugly there as well (most of the animosity directed at Bobick(?)). I got caught up in the moment and was part of the ugly factor of that crowd. Pres. Samuelson let us have it the following tuesday. I expect a similar discourse to be delivered to the student body this tuesday.
A
ABYUFAN
I'm young enough to know that I would have been in the big fat middle of that student center ugliness while at school, and old enough to know exactly how stupid it was



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.