Archived Topic

New Favorite Team to Hate...SMC

by Gunk · 1/29/2012

Advertisement
G
Gunk
It's official. I loathe SMC.



I occasionally go onto SMC's fan forum (they only have one and it appears it's the same 8 guys that post on it). They love to complain about other teams' fans. They, of course, hate Gonzaga fans and now hate us as well. I think it has more to do with envy than anything.



SMC fans = Utes.



We should get the "utard" emoticon changed to SMCtard.



Anyways, every now and then they'll lament how Zag fans claim Dellawhatever is a dirty player. At first, I thought SMC fans were in the right. After watching about 6 games, I can honestly say Dellawhatever is the dirtiest, cheapest player I've ever watched. He spears with his elbow at all times. Swipes away defenders hands. Lowers his shoulder when the elbow fails him and must be majoring in drama. He's very good at playing the victim card. If it had been me playing against him, I would have returned the play in kind with my own bony elbow to the sternum.



His dirty play appears to be spreading to the rest of the SMC team, particularly the guards. I've watched as the SMC guards have progressively picked up on Dellawhatever's style of play.



Go Zags.
C
Cougarbib
It is working. His coach says he has a high basketball IQ and knows how to help his team win even when he isn't scoring and gets into foul trouble early. We shut him down pretty well but gave someone else a career high in the process.



I don't hate them yet - but then I never really hated MWC teams other than UNLV for having home court advantage in the tourney every year.



I say go Faels. Sweep the Zags 2-0. Go Cougs. Sweep the Zags 3-0. Go Cougs nip the Gaels for Tournament title. Not holding my breath of course.



The Gaels look like more than a 1 man team. We seem like one at times and we lose Noah. Maybe by next season I will hate the Gaels and the Zags. It is not clear that we are going to be a better team in 2012/13 season. Not clear at all.



But we might be.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
saywhat
I really like them.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
SpiffCoug
The Faels certainly had us failing at looking like a competitive team.
S
Schmoe
They're not anywhere close to as bad as the frUTards, just a solid team in our new conference.
Advertisement
G
Gunk
Schmoe wrote:
They're not anywhere close to as bad as the frUTards, just a solid team in our new conference.


Doesn't mean I have to like them. UNLV, SDSU, UNM and at one point Utah were solid teams in the MWC as well and there was no shortage of animosity directed at those teams at one point or another.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
Schmoe
Gunk wrote:
They're not anywhere close to as bad as the frUTards, just a solid team in our new conference.


Doesn't mean I have to like them. UNLV, SDSU, UNM and at one point Utah were solid teams in the MWC as well and there was no shortage of animosity directed at those teams at one point or another.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


No, I'm not saying you have to like them, and their PG really bugs me, but I wouldn't put them on the :utard: /USU level.
C
Cougs_Rule
You will learn to hate the coach as well. He's beyond hard nosed and tough. He WORKS those flimsy, worthless, spineless refs to the bone. He was out of the coaches box more than other coaches, working the refs constantly.

Im half way in. I need to see what kind of love the Waels (as in weeping, wailing and gnashing of teeth) get at the tourney. A hard nosed team, but when any team tries to match their intensity, as byu tried in the second half, they will lose on the foul proposition.

I do think they deserve better than a 21 ranking. Lke top 15--and not just bc they swept us.
A
ABYUFAN
I was thinking of SMC last night, and think that they just seem to have our number - our best team in 30 years only beat them by 2. This is a good rivalry in the making.



I'm also thinking that I underestimated the difficulty of transferring to a new conference. Every team in the conference only has to learn one new team, we have to learn all of them, everythng from facilities, hotels, airports and such to the coaches and styles of play. This year has been a great experience for the team, and next year the team will be better for it
R
radius19
While they will never reach Utedom in my book, I was disgusted by their style of play. I'm a huge soccer fan and watch soccer as often as possible but the level of flopping in that game was shocking to me. I was disappointed, just like everyone else, by those who threw stuff on the court but when my dad, who is about the most mild mannered guy I know, was booing feverishly you know it was bad, both the play and the officiating. SMC guards flop more than any line I have ever seen, shameful. Play fair, that's all I ask.

I did like Charles going at D-word, he seemed exhausted by the 10 min mark in the second half. Live and learn I guess.
Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
Question about the flopping? Do Davies and Austin flop to the same extent? Both are very good a drawing charges. Where is the line between flopping and drawing a charge? Just curious.



To me, it seems Davies and Austin don't flop, but instead get in good position to draw the charge. But I wonder if others see it differently. Or am I just blinded by my cheering for BYU and them?
R
radius19
SpiffCoug wrote:
Question about the flopping? Do Davies and Austin flop to the same extent? Both are very good a drawing charges. Where is the line between flopping and drawing a charge? Just curious.



To me, it seems Davies and Austin don't flop, but instead get in good position to draw the charge. But I wonder if others see it differently. Or am I just blinded by my cheering for BYU and them?


I'm fine with drawing attention to charges, it's when players act like they've been shot and fall over while flailing their arms when an opposing defender touches them or digging your toes into the floor when you lose the ball so it looks the defender tripped you to steal it. Shameful.
G
Gunk
SpiffCoug wrote:
Question about the flopping? Do Davies and Austin flop to the same extent? Both are very good a drawing charges. Where is the line between flopping and drawing a charge? Just curious.



To me, it seems Davies and Austin don't flop, but instead get in good position to draw the charge. But I wonder if others see it differently. Or am I just blinded by my cheering for BYU and them?


I think Austin is more of a flopper. Austin tries to flop while guarding a dribbling defender. IMO his flopping actually draws attention to the contact and if he didn't try to take a charge while in mid-stride he wouldn't get called for the foul.



Davies, on the other hand does a very good job of getting his feet set. Davies charges all come in the paint; whereas, Austin is busy trying to draw charges at the three-point line.



SMC players are the best floppers and showmen I've ever seen. I was laughing how every time a defender on Dellawhatever got close, Dellawhatever would start jerking his head like he was getting hit. Pathetic. Meanwhile, if Davies or Noah's elbow graces Waldow or Jones they're on the floor. And, don't get me started on the spearing and shoving by SMC guards when they have the ball.
S
snoscythe
I think it's funny how BYU fans need to rationalize why the teams they hate are evil.



Why is SMC my new favorite team to hate? Is it because they are low-life scum? No. Is it because they subscribe to something great and/or abominable? No. Is it because a morbidly obese SMC co-ed with no sense of personal dignity nor hygeine peed in my Cheerios? No. Is it because they spanked BYU twice this season? Yes....yes it is.
G
Gunk
snoscythe wrote:
I think it's funny how BYU fans need to rationalize why the teams they hate are evil.



Why is SMC my new favorite team to hate? Is it because they are low-life scum? No. Is it because they subscribe to something great and/or abominable? No. Is it because a morbidly obese SMC co-ed with no sense of personal dignity nor hygeine peed in my Cheerios? No. Is it because they spanked BYU twice this season? Yes....yes it is.


No, that's not why I hate them.



Didn't appreciate their "Honor Code" chant at Davies. Nor their "No Means No" chant at Davies, nor their "Rogaine" chant at Noah.



Don't appreciate the attitude of their fans on the board towards BYU.



And, I don't like their cheap style of play which is prone to cause injury. Had we won or lost, the sentiment on my end would be the same.
Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
How do you hate someone that doesn't even have a football team - or is that the problem? If they had a football team that we mauled annually, maybe a basketball loss here and there would be easier to take.



Imagine how much I would have hated UNLV if they played football like TCU and basketball like - UNLV.



Imagine U hatred if they had anyone that could dribble the last two years.



Does SMC have Volleyball? Women's basketball? Maybe we get even there. Go Cougar BB Ladies and VB Men.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.