Archived Topic

BYU / VT Highlights from a VT perspective

by Wolverine · 1/26/2012

Advertisement
W
Wolverine
http://techhoops.com/2012/01/25/highlights-byu-18-5-70-vt-12-8-68/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Found these highlights on a VT forum. The Greg Wrubell's of the world don't have much to worry about from this guy's commentary, but the highlights are sweet for those of us who could only listen on KSL. The guy cant' pronounce any Coug's names ("Hartsong" and good for a laugh when he attempts Zylstra), but hey a solid road win for the Cougs nonetheless. Next up is payback to SMC! GO COUGS!
M
mizzoucoug
LOL. Great, fair analysis. Pretty horrendous pronunciation, but I didn't get to watch the game so well done!
2
2RUEBLUE
I love how the comments section below the video turned into a Word of Wisdom discussion, lol. Can someone tell me what "Turkey" means because the dude kept saying it? Is that an East Coast thing?
S
SpiffCoug
The VT mascot is a turkey.
S
Schmoe
2RUEBLUE wrote:
I love how the comments section below the video turned into a Word of Wisdom discussion, lol. Can someone tell me what "Turkey" means because the dude kept saying it? Is that an East Coast thing?


I think that he's using it when they score an "and 1." Much like in bowling, if you get three strikes in a row, it's a turkey. But in basketball it's the unconventional way to get three points.
Advertisement
B
bigbluepuma
2RUEBLUE wrote:
I love how the comments section below the video turned into a Word of Wisdom discussion, lol. Can someone tell me what "Turkey" means because the dude kept saying it? Is that an East Coast thing?


I think he was referring to his play by play. :whistle:
J
JamieVallen
2RUEBLUE wrote:
I love how the comments section below the video turned into a Word of Wisdom discussion, lol. Can someone tell me what "Turkey" means because the dude kept saying it? Is that an East Coast thing?

Originally from there, never heard the turkey thing...



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
M
Magnus Ver Magnusson
The Va Tech mascot Hokie (or Hokiebird) used to be a turkey. I was weirdly fascinated at work today by Va Tech history after wondering why their uniforms had VPI on the front. Here's the basis for much of my newly acquired knowledge:



http://www.hokiesports.com/hokiebird/about.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



Also, VPI stands for Virginia Polytechnic and State Institute (shortened to Va Tech). Sheesh, I'm boring myself. As you were men.
E
EM_Puma
In bowling a "turkey" is three strikes in a row. When I heard him say it, I understood immediately that he was calling it a basket and one, or a chance for a three--a turkey.



Whether it's an east coast thing or not, I grew up in Ohio and that's where I learned what a turkey in sports was.



Seeing how he was slaughtering Hartsock, Abuou and Zylstra's names, I think that was the least of his worries, but it was nice to see some highlights of the game.
2
2RUEBLUE
Okay, thanks for the replies. I've heard of turkeys in bowling, but have never heard it in basketball. I'm gonna try this new word out at church ball tonight and see how it goes.
Advertisement
K
kjjson
2RUEBLUE wrote:
I'm gonna try this new word out at church ball tonight and see how it goes.

That would require a foul to be called in Church Ball.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.