Archived Topic

Mac users: VMware 3.0 or Parallels 5.0?

by CougarClaw · 11/4/2009

Advertisement
C
CougarClaw
So I'm pretty much giving up on MacOffice and going to the virtualization route. I'm so sick of these office bugs that never cropped up on my work machine office versions.



So anyone have any opinions on which virtualization software to use? I'm a grad student so i qualify for cheaper versions, so right now I think I'm leaning towards the 39.99 vmware solution.



thoughts?
S
snoscythe
Just go free: http://www.openoffice.org



We ran into the same headaches when we made the switch to Macs at the office, and OpenOffice took care of it all.



The problem with running a parallel is that you open your computer up to the very things you are trying to avoid with a Mac. They try to persuade you that it is still less risky than an actual PC, but they also tell you that you don't need anti-virus on a Mac. We found out the hard way that antivirus is just as important for a Mac as a PC. Less likely to get infected, but less likely to have anything recoverable in the event of an infection like we had. Use openoffice or something within Mac OS, and get some antivirus.
C
CAFB_04-12
I'll second Snoscythe's observations. If you run Windows on a Mac you need to treat your Mac like a PC and build your 6 degrees of virus protection.



Is it Microsoft Office for Mac you're having problems with? Have you tried running the Apple programmed iWork? I'm not sure what compatibility it has with Office (if you're moving from home to work for example) but it's bound to be more stable than Office for Mac.
C
CougarClaw
There are a few windows programs I wanted to run (possibly autocad), some windows games, and definitely MS office 2007. Mac office 2008 is riddled with bugs not to mention the fact that excel for office does not even offer the statistical analysis data-pack add=on without a $70 3rd party solution...right.



I'd rather buy Windows 7 since I already have MS office 2007.



I've used open office.org in the past and wasn't terribly impressed. Kind of like wearing a burlap suit. I wasn't naked, but it didn't feel right.



BYU also offers free anti-virus software for grad students which i'm using.



regardless...I think i'm done with mac office.
K
Kbear
I have been using VMware for 2 years and have a few problems but it is the only way I can run PAF and some other Windows stuff. The VMware 3.0 is supposed to support Windows 7 but I haven't tried it yet. No viruses or problems with my Mac... I just wish everything ran on it.
Advertisement
G
Guest
It may be a good time to switch to windows 7, it's a pretty impressive upgrade from Vista.
S
Schmoe
hawkwing wrote:
It may be a good time to switch to windows 7, it's a pretty impressive upgrade from Vista.


I heard that students can upgrade for something like $30, but I don't even have that to spend on a new windows...
C
CougarClaw
Schmoe wrote:
It may be a good time to switch to windows 7, it's a pretty impressive upgrade from Vista.


I heard that students can upgrade for something like $30, but I don't even have that to spend on a new windows...


I'll definitely be taking advantage of $30 windows 7.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.