Archived Topic

Rest in Peace, JoePa

by Schmoe · 1/22/2012

Advertisement
S
Schmoe
Very sad news for the sports world. Sad that the last months of his life were so filled with turmoil, Penn St. should be ashamed.
E
EM_Puma
Sad his life's end was smeared in accusations of not doing enough for those boys who have alleged being sexually mollested by one of his former coaches. Amazing that two months after the wake of that came out that he's gone.



Despite the tarnished legacy, he was a good man and a good coach. May he RIP and our prayers to his family.
S
SpiffCoug
I think he felt such guilt for failing in the biggest test of his life that it really contributed to his extremely quick death. He didn't know what to do and hoped others would take care of it. When it was clear they didn't, he felt such remorse that his body couldn't fight. Just my opinion.
S
Schmoe
SpiffCoug wrote:
I think he felt such guilt for failing in the biggest test of his life that it really contributed to his extremely quick death. He didn't know what to do and hoped others would take care of it. When it was clear they didn't, he felt such remorse that his body couldn't fight. Just my opinion.


Wow, that's a huge assumption to make. I choose to believe the best about others, especially when they've proven to be good people time and time again.
C
Cougarbib
Jerry Sandusky should shovel in th first dirt to cover the coffin since he already buried Joe Paternao. May God Bless Joe Paterno and his family and may historians be kinder with the passage of time.
Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
Schmoe wrote:
I think he felt such guilt for failing in the biggest test of his life that it really contributed to his extremely quick death. He didn't know what to do and hoped others would take care of it. When it was clear they didn't, he felt such remorse that his body couldn't fight. Just my opinion.


Wow, that's a huge assumption to make. I choose to believe the best about others, especially when they've proven to be good people time and time again.

That's why I think he felt so much guilt. JoePa was a good person. So good that he couldn't even comprehend the evil Sandusky did. When it was clear those he trusted to handle the situation didn't, it was too much for him. He felt true remorse and godly sorrow. He felt horrible knowing he could have and probably should have done more to protect kids from that monster.
L
Lawboy
Stress is not good for a patient fighting for their life. No doubt the scandal hindered recovery, but so did his age. No spring chicken.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
J
JamieVallen
SpiffCoug wrote:
I think he felt such guilt for failing in the biggest test of his life that it really contributed to his extremely quick death. He didn't know what to do and hoped others would take care of it. When it was clear they didn't, he felt such remorse that his body couldn't fight. Just my opinion.

This sort of sums up, in much better wording, how I feel it happened.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
G
Guest
jmvcougar wrote:
I think he felt such guilt for failing in the biggest test of his life that it really contributed to his extremely quick death. He didn't know what to do and hoped others would take care of it. When it was clear they didn't, he felt such remorse that his body couldn't fight. Just my opinion.

This sort of sums up, in much better wording, how I feel it happened.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">

This is probably, and sadly right.
M
Mars


May he repent, and then meet with the missionaries.



I'd hate for him to have to wait until Lavell teaches him to finally come around...
Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
Mars wrote:


May he repent, and then meet with the missionaries.



I'd hate for him to have to wait until Lavell teaches him to finally come around...

I seem to recall a story of JoePa, the one time the played out here, being impressed with BYU and the misisonary program and the dedication it took to go and serve one. That he asked Lavell if he could help out, and that JoePa helped pay for the mission of a player who wanted to serve, but didn't have all the necessary funds.



Does anyone else remember such a story?
M
Mars
SpiffCoug wrote:
I seem to recall a story of JoePa, the one time the played out here, being impressed with BYU and the misisonary program and the dedication it took to go and serve one. That he asked Lavell if he could help out, and that JoePa helped pay for the mission of a player who wanted to serve, but didn't have all the necessary funds. Does anyone else remember such a story?

"I put on a PSU football shirt before we went to a Provo restaurant to eat. The manager of the restaurant saw my shirt and came over to tell me that the whole restaurant was Joe Paterno and PSU fans. He told me the story of Joe and Lavell Edwards eating dinner at that restaurant the night before they played each other back in 1992. A game I fondly remember attending with my pops. Their bill came to thirty something dollars and both coaches reached for the check. Lavell said he wanted to pick it up and leave a generous tip becauce he knew the girl and knew she was saving to go on a mormon mission. The manager of the restaurant told me that Joe grabbed the check and left a thousand dollar tip on the thirty dollar meal."

http://www.covers.com/postingforum/post01/showmessage.aspx?spt=35&sub=101249011" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



"While I was in college at BYU I heard a story from our own coaching legend, LaVell Edwards, about his friend Joe Paterno: The morning of a game between Penn State and BYU in Provo years ago, Edwards and Paterno went to breakfast together at a local restaurant (how much does that happen these days?). Paterno asked their waitress if she was planning on attending the game later that day, to which she replied that she had to work, because she was saving money to serve a Mormon mission. Paterno engaged her in conversation, taking an interest in her situation, and at the end of the meal complimented her for what she was doing with her life and left her a gigantic tip to help her efforts."

http://communityvoices.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/sports/bob-smiziks-blog/31650-joe-paterno-dies" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



Yes, this does actually soften some of my anger towards the man.



http://media.bonnint.net/slc/2494/249479/24947968.mp3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
E
EM_Puma
Thanks for finding those. I was back east during that time of my life and i never heard those stories. Impressive.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.