Archived Topic

Cusick, not Carlino, finished the game, hmm......

by Cougs_Rule · 1/22/2012

Advertisement
C
Cougs_Rule
I saw just the last 6 minutes, but interesting that he was in.

Steve Cleve even said, "he's in, because he knows his role."

Implies that Carlino does not.

I'm not down on Carlino, but if As some have indicated that this offense needs to start in the post, which I have advocated and Rose stated in the preseason, Cusick does better to run the inside out offense.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
E
EM_Puma
I guess there are different points of views on the subject because it almost looks painful to watch Cusick bring that ball up the court. I can't describe what I'm seeing, but he is so lacking in fluidity and athletecism. Our guard line is struggling and it seems to me that Carlino needs to be that future. Sure he's in a slump and is making some freshman mistakes in his ball handling and I can see the need to get him out on occasion and coach him up, but for him to sit so long in the 2nd half it says a lot about our worrisome guard play this season.



To me in the 2nd half I think Pepperdine played more to lose the game than us overwhelming. If they would have figured out how to shut down Davies we might not have won that contest.
G
Guest
Another game in a row with absolutely dismal guard play. I haven't seen one acceptable guard in the last 2 games. I can't help but wonder if we're missing Dave Rice and his mentoring ability with the guards?
B
BroncoBot
EM_Puma wrote:
Our guard line is struggling and it seems to me that Carlino needs to be that future.

EM, Carlino is still finding his role on this team. it comes with time, and is taking a little longer than anticipated. he absolutely is the future, but is still "learning the ropes".



He'll get there. Even when he's struggling, I'm glad he's on our side. He seems to be wearing a pretty short leash these days though.
B
Brayden Green
Cusick plays hands down the worst defense on the team. He might actually play the worst defense in the WCC. He isn't one step slow on d, we are taking 2 maybe 3. It is an automatic help situation on defense with Craig in.



I understand DR just wanted to get the win, and walk it home. If Pepperdine had a guard that could play ball, that could have been a different game. I'm glad we won, but get Matt out of the doghouse. We are going to need good guard play to win the WCC and get a tourney berth, and we aren't ever going to get that out of Cusick (love ya still though).
Advertisement
B
byucougar1
Carlino was taken out because he was not running the offense through the bigs. He started off the night jacking up a 3 with 26 seconds on the clock and no chance for the bigs to get touches. That earned him a spot on the bench as well as some shoddt rotation on the zone on top of the key. Cusick recognizes that the offense should run through Davies and Harstock, and our big men are unselfish in finding the open players when there is no shot. Matt has to play to our strengths and be ready to hit the 3 when they monster the gig guys with a double team.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
M
mizzoucoug
I am amazed that anyone thinks Cusick has worse handles than Carlino. Matt is very shaky with the ball all of our opponents know it, which is why he gets pressed most of the time.
B
BYULV
mizzoucoug wrote:
I am amazed that anyone thinks Cusick has worse handles than Carlino. Matt is very shaky with the ball all of our opponents know it, which is why he gets pressed most of the time.


Seems to me just the opposite, Carlino handles the ball much better and cu sick is the one they want to press. Just a few games back we lost a big lead because the other team started to press Cusick who turned the ball over several times and couldn't break he press. Carlino had to come back in and break their press.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
Brayden Green
BYULV wrote:
I am amazed that anyone thinks Cusick has worse handles than Carlino. Matt is very shaky with the ball all of our opponents know it, which is why he gets pressed most of the time.


Seems to me just the opposite, Carlino handles the ball much better and cu sick is the one they want to press. Just a few games back we lost a big lead because the other team started to press Cusick who turned the ball over several times and couldn't break he press. Carlino had to come back in and break their press.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Yep. He might have names switched up. When they press Carlino he takes off. And not in a Charles-Abuou-turnover-waiting-to-happen way, more like a young-steve-nash way. The almost never press Carlino, because he is downcourt in 2 seconds (normally looking for someone to pass to). The second Cusick gets D'd up he panics and passes it to the nearest guy, regardless of whether or not he is open.



I'll take the guy that gives me 7 assists per game and scores 15 points and 2 turnovers and about 3 steals a game vs the guy that averages about 2 assists, 1 turnover, and 3 points.



That's just me though.
K
KYCoug
This is actually the worse guard play I can remember since the Law brothers in the mid 70's. I know they are mostly freshman but sheesh!
Advertisement
Q
Qman
KYCoug wrote:
This is actually the worse guard play I can remember since the Law brothers in the mid 70's. I know they are mostly freshman but sheesh!




We should expect games like this from our Freshman guards. But the fact that Zylstra isn't talented enough to pick up the slack hurts us even worse.
S
SpiffCoug
Qman wrote:
This is actually the worse guard play I can remember since the Law brothers in the mid 70's. I know they are mostly freshman but sheesh!




We should expect games like this from our Freshman guards. But the fact that Zylstra isn't talented enough to pick up the slack hurts us even worse.

To be fair, Brock isn't a very experienced player either. He didn't play much at all before this year.



But our guard play has been poor in conference - especially the second time we're seeing teams.
C
Cougarbib
To be expected. They are all new and are trying to replace two guys that were two of our best ever and two who rarely were subbed out. It is called rebuilding. Kind of like 2010 football QB - but less painful.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
M
Mars
hawkwing wrote:
Another game in a row with absolutely dismal guard play. I haven't seen one acceptable guard in the last 2 games.

Abouo played well, for once. Does he ever come in and play at the 2 position? Could Nate Austin, Noah Hartsock, and Brandon Davies all play at the same time (3-4-5)?
M
Mars


I like both Carlino and Cusick, for different reasons:



*Carlino is an aggressive shooter. He plays fast, and the offense plays faster with him. He also tends to dish out a very high number of assists, and the team has averaged 2 more per game with him as the starter. He is our 3rd-best scoring option most nights...



*Cusick is a wary dribbler who protects the ball and runs the offense through the bigs (the true strength of this team). He rarely turns the ball over, shoots only if he is wide open, and always looks for a better option to move the ball to in the offense...



Both have weakness, to be sure, but they also have talent, and are likable guys to boot. I think the same thing could be said for Winder and Zylstra as well.
Advertisement
G
Gunk
Mars wrote:
Another game in a row with absolutely dismal guard play. I haven't seen one acceptable guard in the last 2 games.

Abouo played well, for once. Does he ever come in and play at the 2 position? Could Nate Austin, Noah Hartsock, and Brandon Davies all play at the same time (3-4-5)?


When Rogers was healthy there were a few games in the beginning of the season where Abouo played the 2 for a bit. Those were his highest scoring games. No 2 can defend him and matches up well on defense against 2s creating turnovers.



If Collinsworth and Rogers were healthy I think we'd see Abouo at the 2 more. As it is, he's our best option at the 3.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
M
Magnus Ver Magnusson
Cusick reminds me of Matt Montague a little bit...you remember that game manager? At least Cusick has some offense to speak of whereas Montague was an abysmal shooter.
M
mizzoucoug
Y'know what I hate? Abouo camping out at the 3 point line. That bro should be down on the block ala Mike Hall and ready to take it to the hole. He is not a good enough slasher on the perimeter to make a difference but down low he's a bit more effective. I know the offense runs through BD and Noah, but Abuou still ought to be camped on the baseline opposite the post on every possession imo.
M
mizzoucoug
BYULV wrote:
I am amazed that anyone thinks Cusick has worse handles than Carlino. Matt is very shaky with the ball all of our opponents know it, which is why he gets pressed most of the time.


Seems to me just the opposite, Carlino handles the ball much better and cu sick is the one they want to press. Just a few games back we lost a big lead because the other team started to press Cusick who turned the ball over several times and couldn't break he press. Carlino had to come back in and break their press.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


I might be mistaken because I haven't seen enough of Cusick handling the ball but I know I have seen Carlino make several turnovers off the dribble against defenders who play him tight.
B
Brayden Green
Magnus Ver Magnusson wrote:
Cusick reminds me of Matt Montague a little bit...you remember that game manager? At least Cusick has some offense to speak of whereas Montague was an abysmal shooter.


Not really. Montague had a nasty crossover, and took it to the hoop with a vengeance.



There was a reason they gave him 5 feet cushion. They needed it to guard him. I haven't seen Cusick past the free throw line more than twice this season.



Montague was an offensive threat, and could thread the ball. Cusick unfortunately has neither going for him at this point.
Page 1 of 3
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.