Archived Topic

BYU will not be in the NCAA Tourney

by hawkwing · 1/20/2012

Advertisement
G
Guest
There is almost no chance BYU can make the Tourney now, nor should they with their extremely weak guard play. Just too many weaknesses and inconsistencies. I'm very disappointed.
B
BroncoBot
I thought carlino was supposed to fix the guard position?

I thought Dave rose didn't lose games against poor teams?



I'm out. Until both of those guys are gone, I'm not watching another game.





















;) :P
S
srcougar
Yeah, I don't see how we can make it right now. Sad after coming off such a great year. Guards are so unreliable, don't know what you will get every night from a production standpoint.
G
Gunk
Backcourt came in so flat and played with little energy till it was too late.



Only realistic hope we have now is we win the WCC tourney. Perhaps...if we win out the rest of the season and make it to the WCC championship game we make it to the tourney...perhaps.



Team was completely under prepared tonight. That's on you, Rose.
B
beauso79
Gunk wrote:
Backcourt came in so flat and played with little energy till it was too late.



Only realistic hope we have now is we win the WCC tourney. Perhaps...if we win out the rest of the season and make it to the WCC championship game we make it to the tourney...perhaps.



Team was completely under prepared tonight. That's on you, Rose.


It's hard to be prepared for 2/25 from behind the arc. Especially when we rely so heavily on the 3-ball as part of our offense. We had open looks just didn't hit them like normal. Not hitting 3's left our team flat.
Advertisement
A
ABYUFAN
Gunk wrote:

Team was completely under prepared tonight. That's on you, Rose.

WHAT? We shoot historically bad against a good team and it's Rose's fault? I'll just have to disagree with you on this.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
M
Mars
ABYUFAN wrote:
Team was completely under prepared tonight. That's on you, Rose.
WHAT? We shoot historically bad against a good team and it's Rose's fault? I'll just have to disagree with you on this.

Well... the team didn't miss many open shots. The offensive scheme just wasn't getting any players open.



Also... the effort and energy did seem to be lacking. Injury excuse?





When Noah shoots like that, why take any 3-point attempts at all? That is half jest, half serious (why shoot it that MUCH?).
R
rblack
Mars wrote:
Gunk wrote:
Team was completely under prepared tonight. That's on you, Rose.
WHAT? We shoot historically bad against a good team and it's Rose's fault? I'll just have to disagree with you on this.

Well... the team didn't miss many open shots. The offensive scheme just wasn't getting any players open.



Also... the effort and energy did seem to be lacking. Injury excuse?





When Noah shoots like that, why take any 3-point attempts at all? That is half jest, half serious (why shoot it that MUCH?).


We had open looks all night. That wasn't the issue.

BYU is not out of the tournament. Their path is simply more difficult. Now they have to hold home court the rest of the way and win all of their road games including Gonzaga and Virginia Tech. Then they need to at least reach the championship game and they cannot lose to anyone except Gonzaga and maybe St. Mary's. That should leave them somewhere in the low 30s to mid 20s RPI and they will be in the tournament. It's a hard road, but they bought it.

BYU didn't lose because of bad 3 point shooting. BYU lost because of a combination of selfish play (highlighted by Davies trying to lead and finish a fast break that would have put us up 6-0), shooting, turnovers in key possesions (look at every time they pulled within 2) and failure to keep the ball in Hartsock's hand late in the game. He had 23 points with 16 minutes left in the game and only had 5 attempts after that (3 of which ended on the free throw line for another 5 points). With the exception of Hartsock, the midrange jumper was completely absent. They were either shooting it from under the basket or from St. George. There was no in between.
S
SpiffCoug
All last night did was make BYU have to win the WCC tourney or the regular season outright.
G
Guest
A big part of the loss is on Dave Rose. He either needs to devise an offense that utilizes his best player more frequently (Noah Hartsock) or sit his wild and inconsistent guards when they shoot wild, low percentage shots (Abouo, Carlino, Cuisick, Zysltra).



The team is currently bi-polar, very on one week and very off the next week. That's at least partially on the coaching staff too.



If we're not 100% on, I don't think there is any way we beat SMU at the Marriott Center. Zags probably, because they aren't that good of a team, but SMU is the class of the conference right now and their guards will eat us up.
Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
BYU couldn't sit every perimeter player last night. I thought BYU had a good game plan. Pound the post until LMU takes it away through double teams and then hit your open shots. BYU couldn't buy a basket. If BYU shoots their season average (37%) (making 8 3s) BYU wins.



Instead, the Cougs have their worst shooting night in a decade and lost.
M
Magnus Ver Magnusson
I think we are bi-polar in some respects, but for such a young team this is more what I expected. Frankly, I've been blown away by the cougs this year and feel like with the huge losses of Jimmer and Jackson we've been very solid. In a "rebuilding" year I'm happy with where we're at. (It is hard to keep expectations in check though). Tourney bound or no, I love this team.
G
Gunk
ABYUFAN wrote:

Team was completely under prepared tonight. That's on you, Rose.

WHAT? We shoot historically bad against a good team and it's Rose's fault? I'll just have to disagree with you on this.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Team came out completely flat and lethargic. Who's job is it to get the team ready for game time?



We went roughly 3 min without scoring, playing completely outside our offense. Think, if we had actually put up 6 or so points in the first 2 min of the game while LMU missed shot after after shot in the first few min how much that would have done for us.



Team played like they expected LMU to just roll over and yes, I put that on the coach. Throw in Rose's poor in game adjustments and it's on his shoulders.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
CAFB_04-12
I agree. The team obviously struggled with 3 point shooting last night, but all things considered I wasn't expecting to win the WCC this year. Disappointing loss at home, though, no doubt.
B
Brayden Green
yes they will
Advertisement
C
chadwl5150
I hate to say this, because I still like Rose, but honestly, Dave Rice was the driver of the Cougs and Rose got the credit. Rose was not "the" reason, but "a" reason for that loss last night. I think we have a tough road ahead, I don't think Rose is a bad coach, and I really think we will be in great shape with a win at VTU that will help propel us past the Gaels next Saturday.

But having watched alot of practices, summer camps, training camps etc. as a High School coach taking boys down there, I have seen first hand how Dave Rice was the driver of the team and this coaching staff as a whole is going to have to do a better job.
S
SpiffCoug
chadwl5150 wrote:
I hate to say this, because I still like Rose, but honestly, Dave Rice was the driver of the Cougs and Rose got the credit. Rose was not "the" reason, but "a" reason for that loss last night. I think we have a tough road ahead, I don't think Rose is a bad coach, and I really think we will be in great shape with a win at VTU that will help propel us past the Gaels next Saturday.

But having watched alot of practices, summer camps, training camps etc. as a High School coach taking boys down there, I have seen first hand how Dave Rice was the driver of the team and this coaching staff as a whole is going to have to do a better job.

So Dave Rice would have helped us make open shots?
B
ByuIcoug
Rose goes from the best season of Cougar basketball in my lifetime to he can't coach I don't buy it. With a young team sometimes it takes time to learn how to win. There was a stretch there at the end of the game where we could have taken control and we couldn't hit a shot and turned the ball over. Charles Abouo needs to be on the bench, he is awful he turns the ball over way to much. There is way to much helping on defense, they have to trust each other and if they get beat trust the back line of the defense to pick of the slack. BYU is not used to running their offense through the big men. I think they forget sometimes they have two of the best big men in the country. There is still time for the team to come together and make the Tourney but they have to address the turnovers and trust each other on defense.
S
snoscythe
Oh wait, did BYU fans buy into preseason hype again and somehow think BYU would lose two of its best four guards in history, replace them with a freshman, walkons, and guys who've never played meaningful minutes, and run to the Sweet Sixteen again?



I put that all on Coach Rose. :roll:
B
BroncoBot
snoscythe wrote:
Oh wait, did BYU fans buy into preseason hype again and somehow think BYU would lose two of its best four guards in history, replace them with a freshman, walkons, and guys who've never played meaningful minutes, and run to the Sweet Sixteen again?



I put that all on Coach Rose. :roll:

All too true. Fire Rose. Where's the petition? :sulk:



Rose has done an awesome job this year, but he, like every coach out there makes mistakes sometimes. Most of his mistakes are "hindsight 20/20" types though. I didn't expect a close game against Baylor, and figured we'd have lost more games at this point without Jimmer/jax.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.