Archived Topic

Cruise ship sinking

by CougarClaw · 1/20/2012

Advertisement
C
CougarClaw
what a tragedy.



You see a boat that size and simply can't imagine it sinking. Kind of like the titanic x 5.



This captain is in a whole world of hurt; they are going to string him up for this.



Oh, and note to self: don't sail into any rocks and destroy a billion dollar boat
S
SpiffCoug
Can you CC me on that memo?
S
scott715
Cougar Corner?
M
Mars


I wonder if anyone on the sinking ship thought to themself, "Wow, this is just like living out a jvquarterback political thread!"
S
SpiffCoug
Mars wrote:


I wonder if anyone on the sinking ship thought to themself, "Wow, this is just like living out a jvquarterback political thread!"

HA!
Advertisement
S
scott715
Maybe the captain was reading that debate thread when he hit the rock.
B
BoiseBYU
Finally, we can put the rest those english assignments "Discuss the Titanic as a metaphor for the decline of western materialism"! Unfortunately, new assignments will be "Discuss the Cost Concordia as a metaphor for the decline of Europe
S
snoscythe
I gotta say that the people comparing this to the Titanic are a bit off. A ship runs aground a few hundred feet away from shore (a number of passengers swam to safety) with plenty of lifeboats in relatively warm waters is going to be compared to the Titanic with all its safety shortcomings going down in icy waters hundreds of miles from land?



I know we like hyperbole, but come on.
T
tww
BoiseBYU wrote:
Finally, we can put the rest those english assignments "Discuss the Titanic as a metaphor for the decline of western materialism"! Unfortunately, new assignments will be "Discuss the Cost Concordia as a metaphor for the decline of Europe




Why do these sound more like loaded political assignments than english assignments?
S
snoscythe
You had to know that Germany would be involved at some level:



[youtube]rg0fmaCSDPg[/youtube]
Advertisement
C
CougarClaw
snoscythe wrote:
I gotta say that the people comparing this to the Titanic are a bit off. A ship runs aground a few hundred feet away from shore (a number of passengers swam to safety) with plenty of lifeboats in relatively warm waters is going to be compared to the Titanic with all its safety shortcomings going down in icy waters hundreds of miles from land?



I know we like hyperbole, but come on.


Two enormous passenger ships sinking. Comparisons exist. (okay so one hasn't fully sunk... ;) )



you're right that the scope of the tragedy is not even in the same realm; but that wasn't my comparison at least. Mine was the similar mindsets that such a large ship is unsinkable. That's why those pictures of the cruise ship on its side in the water are so dramatic. It almost is unthinkable.
I
IowaCougar
I understood the comparison to the Titanic being both "unsinkable" and in size (thus the "Titanic x 5").



What I truly found unbelievable was the video of the ship crew member telling the passengers that everything was fine and that they should return to their cabins. I'm sure those that died trusted the crew and took their advice. :angry:
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.