Archived Topic

BYU bowl game rating--wow!

by EM_Puma · 1/19/2012

Advertisement
E
EM_Puma
http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2012/01/college_football_average_bowl.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



I'm in a state of shock to see that the BYU vs Tulsa bowl game was ranked 33rd lowest rating of the 35 bowl games. That is with the Penn State/Houston game showing no rating on this list, which puts them at #35, but with Penn State fans, we know that real life is that we were rated below them giving only the GoDaddy.com Bowl with Arkansas St/N. Illinois getting lower ratings than our bowl.



How in the world can we be lower than:

#25 Ohio University/Utah State

#27 Temple/Wyoming

#29 FL International/Marshall

#30 Toledo/Air Force



I understand that sadly the game was played on a Friday morning when almost everyone was at work, but for that reason alone, why would you play a game underthat scenario? Sure, the half full-glass is that we brought the bowl ratings for that bowl up 8% from the prior year, but that's as rewarding as saying when I was born I had a full head of hair--more than most babies, and now it's gone meaning "so what?".



Very disappointing.



Wow, in years past, BYU has garnered very impressive bowl ratings, but apparently few people witnessed our bowl win.
D
Dcr36
That does suck. I do think the time slot is culprit #1.



Hopefully our bowl game is at a more convenient time next year.
I
IowaCougar
It is what it is - a Friday morning Bowl Game. I for one am glad I made the trip and saw it in person. It was incredibly exciting, and I'm sure those who did watch didn't change the channel before the end!
S
scott715
I watched, twice I think.
E
EM_Puma
Well at least we're in the Poinsettia Bowl next year that will bring us in the range of #20 in the rankings. They were at 7% loss in ratings from the prior year (which is understandable since it was Boise St last year and TCU, despite being in a big rating area, does not bring butts in the seats or eyes on the TV), but if we are the draw that we seem to think, and what has been usually shown in prior year rankings, we'll bring that rating up from 2011.



One of my first impressions of seeing our low rating was if BYU really had lost as many fans to indifference over this conference shuffle issue. I've seen evidence of that in some of the sites like CougarCorner (especially TBS), so I'm not sure the jury is in on that and we'll gain people back or not.
Advertisement
G
Gunk
Who watches football at 9:30 in the morning on a work day?



BYU likely pulled in the most fans for this one and most of those are out West where it was an early morning game. Odds are a lot of people just DVRed it and watched it when they got home from work.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
L
Lawboy
No one should be surprised at all. BYU is not the rating s powerhouse we would all like to think we are. 2011 Football may have been good for fan access, but our exposure was crap because few watched. Our highest rated games were 1.6, which is low.



Tis webpage spells it out really well. All I can say is that based upon this, not really sure what to think. Yeah, it is nice for BYU fans to greater have access. But as they say, if a bear craps in the woods and no one sees it, did it really happen?



http://www.byucougs.com/2011/12/normal-0-false-false-false-en-us-x-none.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
C
CougarClaw
If anything question the slot and then remember we had to come up with a bowl game tie-in with months before the start of a season.



the real question is. Why is the bowl game early morning on a Friday? Do they think everyone has DVR or can just take off work to go see a game? Ironically, our game was much more interesting than 90% of the bowls with better ratings.
B
bigbluepuma
scott715 wrote:
I watched, twice I think.

Me too.
K
KYCoug
Is that bowl always in that time slot? How does this year compare to other years? I was only able to watch part of it because of the time but did watch it all later.
Advertisement
T
tmoney35
That's a crying shame because it was a great game.
C
cougman
-Two unranked teams

-Half the stadium full

-Friday mid day



Makes perfect sense. Despite the fact that everyone was and still is trying to convince me of Tulsa's greatness, it was two mediocre teams who beat a lot of nobody. Yes Tulsa played an insanely hard non conference schedule...but unfortunately they still lost them all. Outside of Utah and LDS households, I'm not sure how anyone could expect anyone else to care.
S
SpiffCoug
The two teams weren't mediocre. It was a good matchup between two pretty good teams. But yeah, unless you were a fan of either school there wasn't much to get excited about.
E
EM_Puma
If you look at the ratings, it doesn't seem to parallel to how good the matchup was, but was more influenced by the fan base and the residual fans of football that could be watching. I think this was clearly a function of the timing of the game and if it had been the Utah/GA Tech game, that likewise they wouldn't have ranked as the #20 game.



I was shocked too pre-game to find out that Tulsa has the lowest student census of any of the Division 1 programs. Sure, they have a descent support in the community, but when you are only producing a few thousand alumni each year, then generally your command of TV screens is going to be less.
M
Mars


Kick-off was, what, 10:00am on a Friday? Move that to 6pm on a Saturday and the ratings would skyrocket.
Advertisement
J
jvquarterback
Mars wrote:


Kick-off was, what, 10:00am on a Friday? Move that to 6pm on a Saturday and the ratings would skyrocket.


Why wasn't part of the negotiation bowl tie-in to move it to a better time?
S
SpiffCoug
jvquarterback wrote:


Kick-off was, what, 10:00am on a Friday? Move that to 6pm on a Saturday and the ratings would skyrocket.


Why wasn't part of the negotiation bowl tie-in to move it to a better time?

Probably because BYU was scrambling to have any bowl tie-in for the 2011 season.
L
Lawboy
EM_Puma wrote:
I was shocked too pre-game to find out that Tulsa has the lowest student census of any of the Division 1 programs. Sure, they have a descent support in the community.....


I am actually a TU alum. Great midwest private university. Tulsa is a really great town, but the school is really small, but has some great alums who support it. When I graduated, total enrollment was about 4,000, and that included all graduate programs.



Community support for TU is lukewarm. Successful programs draw, but fact of the matter is that OU is still the big dog in town, with Okie State #2. TU is the USU of Oklahoma.



When I was there, the hoops were great, football was poor(1995-1998). TUbby Smith was coach there for one year, then left to Georgia. After that,the new hoops coach was Steve Robinson, who later coached at Florida State and who is a UNC coach now. He got replaces by Bill Self, who is now KU. Prior to Smith, it was Nolan Richardson, who won it all at Arkansas. That program is down from those days, but football has improved, as have the on-campus facilities. TU is a small university, but they do a lot will very little. It is a good university.
L
LamarAlexander#2
I'm a big enough BYU football fan to frequent this message board. I'm not a crazy fanatic, but I follow the team. Enjoyed watching every regular season game this year, including Idaho State. I completely missed the bowl game. Went online Friday evening to find the kickoff time & channel. :blush:
S
SpiffCoug
LamarAlexander#2 wrote:
I'm a big enough BYU football fan to frequent this message board. I'm not a crazy fanatic, but I follow the team. Enjoyed watching every regular season game this year, including Idaho State. I completely missed the bowl game. Went online Friday evening to find the kickoff time & channel. :blush:

Apparently not a big enough fan to find out what time & channel a game is on with over three weeks to find it.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.