Archived Topic

Offensive urgency

by BroncoBot · 1/17/2012

Advertisement
B
BroncoBot
What happened to the hurry up offense that Riley was running earlier in the year that was so effective? Tulsa had all the time in the world to set up their defense until the end of the game when BYU went into hurry mode and SURPRISE, BYU was able to move the ball.



I think this was one of the biggest reasons Heaps struggled, and I don't know if it was a coaching or player issue. Heaps had multiple delay of game penalties, why did the play clock always count down to >5 before the ball was snapped? Sometimes I wondered if Heaps was thinking too much, which only gave the defense more time to get ready. Maybe that was why he was looking so robotic back there? There's something to be said for playing loose and letting instincts take over. I was frustrated with the pace of the Tulsa game because it seemed BYU was purposely slowing their offense down which led to flashbacks of early 2011 games.
G
Guest
The offense was also most effective against TCU when they were in extreme hurry up. But we could only sustain that for 1 drive. I wish I knew if that was Doman going away from it, or the players just couldn't handle being that fast.
S
SpiffCoug
hawkwing wrote:
The offense was also most effective against TCU when they were in extreme hurry up. But we could only sustain that for 1 drive. I wish I knew if that was Doman going away from it, or the players just couldn't handle being that fast.

I would love to see us greatly increase the pace at which we play. I'm talking like Oregon-type tempo.
L
Lawboy
I think the hurry up goes against Bronco core philosophy of ball control/time of possession. It is a good change of pace, but I do not see us ever being a hurry-up offense for long stretches of any game. It would take a major adjustment in how we develop our Oline players as well, because we have hogs, and most hurry up teams have smaller more mobile line players.



I do think we will see it from time to time as a change of pace, though.
Y
Y12
hawkwing wrote:
The offense was also most effective against TCU when they were in extreme hurry up. But we could only sustain that for 1 drive. I wish I knew if that was Doman going away from it, or the players just couldn't handle being that fast.


The tempo on offense was killing me in the TCU game.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.