Archived Topic

Bronco - Should Not Have Said

by Cougarbib · 1/12/2012

Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
Quest For Perfection

National Championship

Most Prepared Ever

Fans Are Stupid

BYU will play best programs on biggest stages even at the price of 2 for 1 and 1 and done.









My favorite thing he never should have uttered is anything indicating he looked elsewhere, will re-evaluate in 2 years, never to commit to more than 3 years so he can honor committment, and that he does not expect to be doing this - coaching BYU - for a long time.



Then go out and ask the best players in the country to commit to 4-7 years. Maybe he better go JUCO.



Oh and ask ND for home and away parity.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougarbib
What is your favorite overly candid Bronco quote?



BTW - I love Bronco and hope he stays until they name the stadium after him.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
R
rblack
Cougarbib2 wrote:
never to commit to more than 3 years

I think that Bronco feels that 5 years represents complacency, there is just too long until your contract is up, whereas, a 3 year contract comes with it the need to justify your existence. It's how his mind works. I also think that is the reason he relates well with Riley Nelson. Remember when Nelson first started, Bronco declined to call him the "starter." He said something about wanting him to have something to motivate him. I think it is interesting that in the first game where Riley Nelson had the starter position locked up, regardless of the outcome of the game, he had the worst game of the year (until the very end which was awesome). Maybe, it would be best to start next year with the official position that Nelson is starting "for now." It works for Bronco since his official position is that he is the head coach "for now."
S
Stirfry
Didn't he refer to the boosters/cougar club as a bunch of pharisees and sadjucess (sp?) this year? That's my favorite "should not have said".
G
Guest
Will you share the link and the actual quote where he said he would play 2 for 1s?
Advertisement
N
northerncougar
Stirfry wrote:
Didn't he refer to the boosters/cougar club as a bunch of pharisees and sadjucess (sp?) this year? That's my favorite "should not have said".


Yes. The idiot meter was going like crazy after that one.
C
Cougs_Rule
"I don't know anything about offense." Or however he said that. Maybe he meant "...the offense [that year and that time]", but I think he meant "I don't know [jack] offense so don't ask me." Or "its not my fault, ask Anae."

At any rate, seemed like something he should not have said.
C
CAFB_04-12
When did he say BYU fans were stupid? I'm sure he's called out fans who think they know more than he does about football, but calling the fanbase stupid?



His Pharisees and Sadduccees statement is probably his most questionable, except for the fact that he probably gets grilled by the Cougar Club relentlessly. 10 win seasons just won't satisfy some people.
C
Cougarbib
rblack wrote:
never to commit to more than 3 years

I think that Bronco feels that 5 years represents complacency, there is just too long until your contract is up, whereas, a 3 year contract comes with it the need to justify your existence. It's how his mind works. I also think that is the reason he relates well with Riley Nelson. Remember when Nelson first started, Bronco declined to call him the "starter." He said something about wanting him to have something to motivate him. I think it is interesting that in the first game where Riley Nelson had the starter position locked up, regardless of the outcome of the game, he had the worst game of the year (until the very end which was awesome). Maybe, it would be best to start next year with the official position that Nelson is starting "for now." It works for Bronco since his official position is that he is the head coach "for now."

If he stated it that way, I wouldn't have a problem with it. It would be a plus. "I am gong to go preovemy worth without tying the University's hands - so they can keep me accountable. I would like that. I would even be ok if he just wants to quietly remind his boss that he does have a market vbalue an does not want ot be taken for granted. Quietly - though. He comes across more as not being sure how long he wants to do this before he goes and does something else. Lavell took it a year at a time most of his career re contracts, but never even hinted that he might want to go be or do something else until he retired.
C
Cougarbib
hawkwing wrote:
Will you share the link and the actual quote where he said he would play 2 for 1s?




I do not have it Hawk - but he said he would for just certain elite programs. I do not recall if he named names, but it was in the context of the Okie, Texas, and ND, announcements. Left me the impression that USC, Ohio State, etc., but not run of the mill BCS teams. But then we got Ole mIss for a 1 and done. But I don't think he meant that.
Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
CAFB_04-12 wrote:
When did he say BYU fans were stupid? I'm sure he's called out fans who think they know more than he does about football, but calling the fanbase stupid?



His Pharisees and Sadduccees statement is probably his most questionable, except for the fact that he probably gets grilled by the Cougar Club relentlessly. 10 win seasons just won't satisfy some people.


Guilty. I paraphrased. He said about what you said.
G
Guest
Personally I don't think it's right to tear down a man for paraphrased quotes.
C
cougman
"No."



When asked if he thought his team quit in the 4th quarter against Utah this year. Really??? :whistle:
C
CAFB_04-12
cougman wrote:
"No."



When asked if he thought his team quit in the 4th quarter against Utah this year. Really??? :whistle:

Agree. He must have watched a different 4th quarter than me.
R
rblack
Cougarbib2 wrote:
Cougarbib2 wrote:
never to commit to more than 3 years

I think that Bronco feels that 5 years represents complacency, there is just too long until your contract is up, whereas, a 3 year contract comes with it the need to justify your existence. It's how his mind works. I also think that is the reason he relates well with Riley Nelson. Remember when Nelson first started, Bronco declined to call him the "starter." He said something about wanting him to have something to motivate him. I think it is interesting that in the first game where Riley Nelson had the starter position locked up, regardless of the outcome of the game, he had the worst game of the year (until the very end which was awesome). Maybe, it would be best to start next year with the official position that Nelson is starting "for now." It works for Bronco since his official position is that he is the head coach "for now."

If he stated it that way, I wouldn't have a problem with it. It would be a plus. "I am gong to go preovemy worth without tying the University's hands - so they can keep me accountable. I would like that. I would even be ok if he just wants to quietly remind his boss that he does have a market vbalue an does not want ot be taken for granted. Quietly - though. He comes across more as not being sure how long he wants to do this before he goes and does something else. Lavell took it a year at a time most of his career re contracts, but never even hinted that he might want to go be or do something else until he retired.

That seems to be what is implied in this story from KSL.

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=272&sid=16344201" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Advertisement
R
rblack
cougman wrote:
"No."



When asked if he thought his team quit in the 4th quarter against Utah this year. Really??? :whistle:

Actually, it is probably good that he said that. It does nothing for team unity to point out on a public stage that the team quit. At that point, there was no reason to confirm what everyone saw.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.