Archived Topic

Players that Bronco is Excited to Have Next Year

by byucougar1 · 1/12/2012

Advertisement
B
byucougar1
Ammon Olsen and Taysom Hill, quarterbacks who signed with SUU and Stanford, respectively, and signed with BYU after completing church missions.



DL lineman Russell Tialavea (returning from his mission). The senior will need surgery on a broken finger and will likely miss spring ball.



Mendenhall raved about FB Iona Pritchard and said his contribution to the running game next year will be "giant" and said he is a lot like former Cougar star Manase Tonga. I am really excited to have another threat coming out of the backfield to block, run or catch the ball on swing passes.



Bronco also felt that CB Jordan Johnson has a chance to be really, really good.



Current position changes include: Inside linebacker Spencer Hadley moving to outside linebacker; Wide receiver Jordan Smith transferring to safety; Craig Bills will back up Daniel Sorensen at Kat safety (after he returns in the summer from his extended mission).
S
SpiffCoug
Won't Tialavea need to get a waiver? You only get 7 years to use up your eligibility and that's with a 2-year mission and red-shirt.

Year 1: 2005 - Redshirt

Year 2: 2006 - Freshman played in 12 games

Year 3: 2007 - Sophomore injured in fall camp (medical RS?)

Year 4: 2008 - Junior played in 13 games

Year 5: 2009 - Senior played in 9 games

Year 6: 2010 - Mission to Chile

Year 7: 2011 - Mission to Chile

Year 8: 2012 - ??? Waiver?
B
beauso79
Bronco said the JC transfer DT - Marques Johnson would red-shirt this year. How can we afford to do that losing so many guys at DT??
B
byucougar1
Currently I understand that we have the following players returning:



Romney Fuga

Ian Dulan

Jordan Richardson

Russell Tialavea

Ethan Manumuleana

Graham Rowley
C
Cougarbib
byucougar1 wrote:
Currently I understand that we have the following players returning:



Romney Fuga

Ian Dulan

Jordan Richardson

Russell Tialavea

Ethan Manumuleana

Graham Rowley


This. The big graduation exodus is 2012. That is why they are building the bench and red-shirting the new guy.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
Did he mention OC?



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
CougarClaw
Cougarbib2 wrote:
Did he mention OC?



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


he wouldn't be very good at DL. ;)
C
Cougs_Rule
Also , possibly Kaufusi. But with the 2012 exodus, he might need to redshirt. Plus he might be switched to Oline.
Y
Y12
beauso79 wrote:
Bronco said the JC transfer DT - Marques Johnson would red-shirt this year. How can we afford to do that losing so many guys at DT??


Next year is the year we really lose players. I believe I heard Bronco said BYU would lose 5 d-linemen next year.



Seeing how Fangupo came in and contributed this year, w/o a redshirtI don't think Johnson needs to "get his feet wet" in 2012 to be a factor in 2013.
M
Mars


Riley Nelson

Riley Nelson

and

Nelson, Riley
Advertisement
C
Cougs_Rule
lol. NO wonder Bronco has become so recently offensive minded. :-)

I wonder if he is considering switching sides of the ball. tic
T
trueblue72
I thought I read that Graham Rowley is going on a mission as well. As for Tialavea, I highly doubt he gets the Waiver, I would like to see him because we could use him. But this would be his eighth year in the program and I don't see it. He's already been linked to college for 7 years and you know what they say "A lot of people go to college for seven years! ..... I know they're called Doctors" :lol:
T
trueblue72
I was thinking, we have Muhelman (sp?) who at times showed some promise at DE last year, I think with one more spring and fall under his belt he becomes pretty good, I wonder if we see a guy like Friel switch to D? Really aggressive guy but without the injuries to the other TE's he's 4 on the depth chart.



I know I am somewhat hijacking this topic, but any word on Thomas Bryson? It seemed that in 2010 Bronco was excited about the potential that this kid had.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.