Archived Topic

ESPN Fraud!

by BoiseBYU · 1/10/2012

Advertisement
B
BoiseBYU
They are showing the same game over again!



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
D
Ddawg
Defense rules. Championships are won with Defense. This is a Defensive slugfest. Still lots of game to play - the entire 2nd Half.
D
Ddawg
BoiseBYU wrote:
They are showing the same game over again!



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


You're right though. Pretty boring stuff! LOL!
S
snoscythe
I appreciate a good defensive game, and this is not a good defensive game....it's two teams completely out-of-whack after sitting idle for over a month.



My wife keeps suggesting we try "The Bachelor." I'm beginning to think she's on to something.
D
Ddawg
I'm more interested in the New Hampshire Primary. Let's get voting.
Advertisement
C
CAFB_04-12
I don't mind an honest, defensive struggle, but LSU has just looked swamped here. Bama came to win it.
R
rblack
There was a game today? I thought you were talking about the Fraud of the BCS national championship in general.
G
Guest
Ok St. Is clearly the best team in the country. They get my vote for #1.
F
frdbtr
I think that OK state would beat either of those teams. Alabama does have a good defense but LSU has NO offense. That QB was horrible. I am also not sold on Alabama's offense either. The only good thing about last nights game is now we let the controversy begin since there are a bunch of 1 loss teams that can start claiming that they deserve #1 too. Lets have the media poll buck the coaches and vote someone else #1.
M
mjk5
hawkwing wrote:
Ok St. Is clearly the best team in the country. They get my vote for #1.

Doesn't that actually make Iowa State clearly the best team in the country? You know, since Alabama shouldn't even be mentioned in the same breath as the team who beat them in overtime by a field goal?



Totally kidding ;)



If it makes you guys feel any better, most people in Tuscaloosa are also begging for a playoff. The fans, players, and some coaches have publicly voiced support for some form of playoff. Change is coming.
Advertisement
I
Isola
I did not watch the game, I have not, nor will I, read a recap or watch a highlight. I can't believe they scheduled a rematch after telling us for years how the college football regular season is the play off.



I don't really care that Alabama beat them at a neutral site after game planning for a month, when they couldn't beat LSU at home during the season. All teams with one loss can only blame themselves for not making it to the Championship game, but at least give the chance to a team that hasn't already had their shot at the #1 team. Oklahoma State should have been in that game.



Plus there ought to be a rule that if you do not win your own conference, let alone division, that you cannot play for the National Championship. So let me get this straight...LSU is the SEC West Champion, they are the SEC Champion, but Alabama is the National Champion?! I don't think so.



Sure in basketball you can be National Champion without winning your conference, but that is because there is a PLAYOFF. If the regular season is the playoff then you can't have non-champions competing Championship game. That would be like losing in the Sweet Sixteen but some how still winning the National Championship.



Bull Crap
L
Lawboy
I give Bama their props. Best statistical defense in the NCAA in a decade, perhaps one of hte most talented and dominating since the Miami teams 20 years ago+. They are that good and talented, and they deserve their due.



WE can all say that LSU sucks on offense, but let's not forget that they hung loads of points on teams that won BCS bowls this year. They put 40 on Oregon, they put 47 on West Virginia and they hung 52 on an Ole Miss team we put 13 on. They also hung 40+ on ranked teams Arkansas, Georgia, Auburn and Florida. Yeah, their QB was the worst ever I have seen in a big game like this, but they are a really, REALLY talented team. And Bama made them look flat, unprepared, and poor.



All credit to Bama. Best team this year. although I would love to see them play Okie state. I still think they handle them pretty easily. The +1 would be great this year.
D
Dcr36
Last night's game was frustrating for a lot of reasons, but one thing in particular really bothered me - the ranking system's efforts to quantify who is #1, and the BCS game, hardly determine the same thing. LSU was just not built to beat a team like Alabama, despite the fact they had their way with pretty much everyone else.



LSU may have an offense that's effective against 99% of teams in the country, but it's almost pathetically one-note. LSU apparently had a "let's stick to what we do best" attitude to their offensive prep heading into the NC game, which unfortunately for them is the same thing that Alabama is best at. Alabama never had a reason to respect the mid-to-long pass game and it showed.



Alabama's pass defense is #1 in the country, like it's rush defense, but they didn't face that many respectable QBs this year. The SEC was a non-QB conference for the most part. Their non-cons were notoriously-bad-QB-play Penn State and three nobodies. The only good passing team they played this year was Arkansas, and while they did a good job at shutting down Tyler Wilson, he still threw 2 TDs against them.



I don't care who you think is #1 because I think there's a case to be made for those three teams. LSU has one of the best "who we've beaten" resumes I've ever seen and they went 1-1 against a team they match up poorly against. Bama won the NC game and its defense was legend-caliber. And OK State, IMO, deserved a shot at the NC, and I think its offense would be a major challenge and change of pace to what the two SEC teams are used to. If you had me pick, I'd still probably side with LSU even in light of last night, but I think all three teams are great. Truth be told, I kinda miss split/contested titles.
L
Lawboy
Dcr36 wrote:
And OK State, IMO, deserved a shot at the NC, and I think its offense would be a major challenge and change of pace to what the two SEC teams are used to. If you had me pick, I'd still probably side with LSU even in light of last night, but I think all three teams are great. Truth be told, I kinda miss split/contested titles.


The +1 format is coming to a season near you. Should arrive in time for 2014, when the current BCS deal expires. This year would have been great with it.



#1 LSU v. #4 Stanford

#2 Bama v. #3 Okie State
G
Guest
Lawboy wrote:
And OK State, IMO, deserved a shot at the NC, and I think its offense would be a major challenge and change of pace to what the two SEC teams are used to. If you had me pick, I'd still probably side with LSU even in light of last night, but I think all three teams are great. Truth be told, I kinda miss split/contested titles.


The +1 format is coming to a season near you. Should arrive in time for 2014, when the current BCS deal expires. This year would have been great with it.



#1 LSU v. #4 Stanford

#2 Bama v. #3 Okie State


I can't wait till we have a +1 like this year, and then we get Oregon complaining that they should have had a chance to get into it too.
Advertisement
M
Mars
Lawboy wrote:
#1 LSU v. #4 Stanford

#2 Bama v. #3 Okie State

Great. So out of 11 conference + Independents, the National Playoff will only contain 2 conference champions. ;)
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.