Archived Topic

Dave McCann

by stuckinbig10country · 1/6/2012

Advertisement
S
stuckinbig10country
Sucks. That is all.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
B
BroncoBot
I'm not listeneing. But I think he's done a good job overall.
E
EM_Puma
I like Dave McCann. What bothers you about him.
C
Cougs_Rule
He's above average. Pretty good. We could have a lot worse. And he's better than the MWC goofs, which isn't saying much.
1
1967cougar
I like him, too. Think of it this way . . . We could have TK announcing on BYUTV. Makes McCann look pretty good.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
S
stuckinbig10country
He isn't knowledgeable about the game, and only slightly moreso about football. He constantly mixes up names. It seems like he was it to be about him a lot of the time.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
G
Gunk
I like him better than the MWC idiots we had.



I will tell you what I really don't like about the BYUtv broadcasts, other than the fact it's not in HD, is when they show a replay and don't stop the replay when the game resumes. Live game > replay.
B
bigbluepuma
[quote="stuckinbig10country"]He isn't knowledgeable about the game, and only slightly moreso about football. He constantly mixes up names. It seems like he was it to be about him a lot of the time.





Huh?
A
ABYUFAN
I'm a Dave McCann fan... and I like that he's balanced enough that fans of other teams like him as well. We've got a really really special thing going on with BYUtv and he's a big part of it
F
frdbtr
Gunk wrote:
I like him better than the MWC idiots we had.



I will tell you what I really don't like about the BYUtv broadcasts, other than the fact it's not in HD, is when they show a replay and don't stop the replay when the game resumes. Live game > replay.


I get BYUtv in hd, looks great. As far as the replays go, I agree. I think that will improve with time though.
Advertisement
C
Cougs_Rule
Are you pulling signal off antenna? Cable? i know not satellite, at least Direct.
F
frdbtr
dmcougar wrote:
Are you pulling signal off antenna? Cable? i know not satellite, at least Direct.


Antenna.
C
CougarClaw
I find McCann to be a great part of byutv. They go to great lengths to not be overly BYU-biased. his announcing is excited regardless of who makes the big play and he at least gets Abouo's name right which NO other announcer has been able to do. ( ABOO-HO, ABWOW, ABoo-HOE)



BYutv does miss a lot of quick action following a break, but that will imrove but I find his commentary interesting and his voice is certainly not one of the annoying ones.
B
BroncoBot
BYUtv, in its first year has been incredible. Fans of both sides love it. The players and coaches have to love the exposure it give them and the program. Dave McCann has been neutral enough that he's not considered a huge homer.



I don't know who said their complaint is that BYUtv isn't in HD, but get out of the stone age ;). If you're tv is HD capable you have a HDMI input somewhere and you can plug your computer signal into the TV. The picture is awesome with BYUTV.org live feed. Just as good as the ESPN3 feed I believe. Since all I watch on TV is BYU sports, I've cancelled TV for 3-4 years. I've recently given part of what I've saved back to BYUtv in the hopes that they will continue to provide such an awesome product.



This year has been a huge upgrade as far as exposure goes. BYU has done a GREAT job delivering a quality product to its fans. And I believe it's only going to get better.
A
AJP
declocoug wrote:
I don't know who said their complaint is that BYUtv isn't in HD, but get out of the stone age ;). If you're tv is HD capable you have a HDMI input somewhere and you can plug your computer signal into the TV. The picture is awesome with BYUTV.org live feed. Just as good as the ESPN3 feed I believe. Since all I watch on TV is BYU sports, I've cancelled TV for 3-4 years. I've recently given part of what I've saved back to BYUtv in the hopes that they will continue to provide such an awesome product.

Better picture online than the tv channel? Definitely. normal HD quality? Not a chance.



I might as well add my opinion of McCann while i post in this thread. Yes, he does a good job being pretty unbiased and yes he pronounces Abuou's name right (... but shouldn't anyone who follows BYU as closely as he does?), but he does have a limited understanding of the game and often mixes up the players names. Overall he's a solid announcer, but clearly he has things he could do a lot better in.
Advertisement
W
Waipahuboy
I lived in Southern California and currently reside in West Texas....listened to a lot of Pac-8 games back then, also listen currently to Longhorn, Aggie and Texas Tech broadcasts. Those guys were/are terrific. McCann, though not in their league, does a good job. Mellifluous voice, looks good in front of the camera, tries to be unbiased when commenting.



Now, back in the day when I grew up in Hawai'i, THE greatest broadcaster I heard was Al Michaels. He did radio for the Triple A Hawaii Islanders baseball team, as well as some other local sports. What a voice, great insights provided, a star in the making....



At least Dave McCann ain't the former BYU announcer, a fellow by the name of Jay Monsen or Monson. Cringeworthy. Amateur hour, just awful. I turned him off to listen to Paul James, if there was a simulcast (not often, unfortunately). About the period BYU was showing up on the national football/basketball landscape, and the BYU Sports network had this below average broadcaster (not PJ). Thankfully, Dave McCann is WAAAY better than that guy. I think BYUtv does a fantastic job, and they can only get better with the passing of time.
G
Gunk
declocoug wrote:
BYUtv, in its first year has been incredible. Fans of both sides love it. The players and coaches have to love the exposure it give them and the program. Dave McCann has been neutral enough that he's not considered a huge homer.



I don't know who said their complaint is that BYUtv isn't in HD, but get out of the stone age ;). If you're tv is HD capable you have a HDMI input somewhere and you can plug your computer signal into the TV. The picture is awesome with BYUTV.org live feed. Just as good as the ESPN3 feed I believe. Since all I watch on TV is BYU sports, I've cancelled TV for 3-4 years. I've recently given part of what I've saved back to BYUtv in the hopes that they will continue to provide such an awesome product.



This year has been a huge upgrade as far as exposure goes. BYU has done a GREAT job delivering a quality product to its fans. And I believe it's only going to get better.


I would have no problem plugging my computer into my TV or watching the games on my 20" monitor; however, my internet speed isn't the greatest and it often lags. Thus, I am left having to watch DirecTV's feed. :~(



I really don't know why DirecTV just doesn't pick up the HD feed. They'd be able to say they have one more HD channel that Dish Network doesn't. Does Dish pick up BYUtv in HD? If so, maybe I will write DirecTV again, but this time tell them I am going to leave them for Dish because Dish has BYUtv in HD. :P
M
Mars


Who do you think McCann roots for when BYU plays UNLV?
B
BroncoBot
Mars wrote:


Who do you think McCann roots for when BYU plays UNLV?

I don't get it.
S
SpiffCoug
declocoug wrote:


Who do you think McCann roots for when BYU plays UNLV?

I don't get it.

McCann works for a local station in LV covering the REbels.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.