Archived Topic

Nonconference rivalry games

by mormonrasta · 1/5/2012

Advertisement
M
mormonrasta
I think every team in college football should have a "nonconference" rival. . Some matchups already exist and they are great. Some rivalries would be a tradegy if they were lost. Here are my proposed nonconference rivalries. The ones that already exist are in bold:



SEC

South Carolina-Clemson

Florida-FSU

Georgia-GT

Kentucky-Louisville

Tennessee-North Carolina

Alabama-Miami

Auburn-Virginia Tech

Mississippi-Memphis (alot of Ole Miss alumni in Memphis)

Miss St. - Southern Miss

Missouri- Kansas

Texas A&M- Texas

Arkansas-Texas Tech (an old SWC rival)

Vandy-Duke

LSU-Ohio St.



ACC

Clemson-South Carolina

FSU-Florida

GT-Georgia

North Carolina-Tennessee

North Carolina St- East Carolina

Virginia Tech-Auburn

Miami-Alabama

Virginia-Cal (They usually battle for the title of best public university)

Maryland-Navy

Pitt-West Virginia

Boston College-ND

Duke-Vandy

Wake Forest-Baylor

Syracuse-Buffalo



Big 10

Iowa-Iowa St.

Michigan-ND

Purdue-ND

Michigan St.-ND

Indiana-Ball St. (the battle of the two worst football schools in Indiana)

Northwestern-Northern Illinois (hey, they're close)

Nebraska-Oklahoma

Wisconsin-Arizona St. (Alot of people from Wisconsin in Arizona

Penn St.-Oregon (Uniform Tradition vs. No Uniform Tradion)

Ohio St.-LSU

Illinois-Arizona (Alot of people from Illinois in Arizona)

Minnesota-Western Michigan



Pac-12

Stanford-ND

USC-ND

CU-CSU

Utah-BYU (double duh)

WSU-Idaho (they are like 6 miles apart)

Arizona-Illinois

Cal-Virginia

ASU-Wisconsin

Washington-BYU (there's a pretty good history here)

Oregon St.-Nevada (they're kind of close)

UCLA-SDSU

Oregon-Penn St.



Big 12

ISU-Iowa

Oklahoma-Nebraska (This used to be one of the best rivalries in college football. Now they can rekindle it since they are no longer in different divisions of the same conference)

Texas-Texas A&M (duh)

Texas Tech-Arkansas

Baylor-Wake Forest (Baptists vs. Sort of Baptists)

TCU-SMU

Oklahoma St.-Tulsa (battle of the two "other" teams in Oklahoma this season notwithstanding)

WVA-Pitt

KU-Missouri

KSU-Cincy (for the Bob Huggins Trophy)



Big East

Louisville-Kentucky

Uconn-UMass

Rutgers-Temple

Houston-Rice

BSU-BYU

SMU-TCU

USF-FIU

UCF-FAU

SDSU-UCLA

Cincy-KSU



CUSA

Rice-Houston

UTEP-Toledo (Texas vs. Ohio Rivalry part 1)

Tulsa-Oklahoma St.

Marshall-Ohio

Southern Miss-Miss St.

Tulane-UL Laf

ECU-NC St.

UAB-Troy

Memphis-Mississippi



MWC

Hawaii-BYU

UNLV- BYU

NM-NMSU

AF-Navy and Army

CSU-CU

Fresno St.-SJSU

Nevada-Oregon St.

Wyoming-Arkansas St. (because Wyoming deserves it)



WAC

Idaho-Washington St.

USU- BYU

Louisiana Tech-Louisiana Monroe

NMSU-NM

Texas St.-Kent St. (Texas vs. Ohio Rivalry part 2)

Texas San Antonio- Miami OH (Texas vs. Ohio Rivalry part 3)

SJSU-Fresno St.



MAC

Northern Illinois-Northwestern

Ball St.-Indiana

Ohio-Marshall

WMU-Minnesota

EMU-MTSU (I'm just throwing darts here)

CMU-South Alabama (more dart throwing)

Buffalo-Syracuse

Akron-North Texas (Texas vs. Ohio Rivalry part 4)

Toledo-Utep

Miami- Texas San Antonio

Kent St.-Texas St.

Bowling Green-W. Kentucky

Temple-Rutgers

UMass-UConn



Sun Belt



North Texas-Akron

Arkansas ST.-Wyoming

UL-Monroe- Louisiana Tech

UL-Lafayette- Tulane

FIU- USF

FAU- UCF

W Kentucky- Bowling Green (Bowling Green, Ky vs. Bowling Green, Ohio)

Troy-UAB

MTSU-CMU

South Alabama-EMU



Independents



BYU- Utah, BSU, Utah St., Washington, UNLV, Hawaii

ND-USC, Purdue, Michigan, MSU, Stanford, Navy, Boston College

Army- Navy, Air Force

Navy- Army, Air Force, Maryland
F
frdbtr
utah cutting and running from this rivalry burns me up. Like you posted above, there are teams that play in pretty good conferences who are continuing very bitter rivalries because they are good for the fan base and the states that they are in. I am sure that Florida would like to stop playing Florida state or Miami but they do it anyway and they play in the SEC. the Pac 12 has some tough teams at the top but it still has a bunch of really bad ones at the bottom, the utes lost to one. Quitting this rivalry because of competition level in the Pac just goes to show how chicken they are of the BYU game which is funny because they have been dominating it for a few years now. :sick:
M
Mingjai
mormonrasta wrote:

Pitt-West Virginia


Are they not continuing the Backyard Brawl after realignment? They should.



Pitt should also start playing Penn State again. The two teams played 96 times before the rivalry went on hiatus in 2000. Now it's basically what BYU-Utah is about to become.
C
Cougarfan87
frdbtr wrote:
utah cutting and running from this rivalry burns me up. Like you posted above, there are teams that play in pretty good conferences who are continuing very bitter rivalries because they are good for the fan base and the states that they are in. I am sure that Florida would like to stop playing Florida state or Miami but they do it anyway and they play in the SEC. the Pac 12 has some tough teams at the top but it still has a bunch of really bad ones at the bottom, the utes lost to one. Quitting this rivalry because of competition level in the Pac just goes to show how chicken they are of the BYU game which is funny because they have been dominating it for a few years now. :sick:


To further your argument, ask yourself this question. If BYU were in :utard: shoes, would BYU choose not to play :utard: ? I seriously doubt it. I think we would always schedule them, even if we only had one game on the schedule open because the pairing of the schools and rivalry has always been important. Of course, for the rivalry to continue, it will have to be on equal footing--not like the first 30-40 years of this rivalry that were almost exclusively played in Salt Lake.
L
LamarAlexander#2
Any reason you have Washington as a rival for BYU? Don't get me wrong, that would be awesome. I hope it happens.



BC & Syracuse were OOC rivals. I suppose that's over once both are in the ACC. I expect the same to eventually happen with Pitt & WVU.



TCU & Baylor like playing the former SWC private schools.



I think Wake Forest is trying to start something with Vandy.
Advertisement
M
mormonrasta
LamarAlexander#2 wrote:
Any reason you have Washington as a rival for BYU? Don't get me wrong, that would be awesome. I hope it happens.



BC & Syracuse were OOC rivals. I suppose that's over once both are in the ACC. I expect the same to eventually happen with Pitt & WVU.



TCU & Baylor like playing the former SWC private schools.



I think Wake Forest is trying to start something with Vandy.


I was trying to fit rivalries in a regional/historical/cultural context. BYU has played UW quite a bit. UW is in the Pac-12 North so they won't necessarily travel to Utah every other year like Pac-12 south teams do which would make a yearly rivalry more palatable. I don't see UW having a anual series with any other western team besides BYU. I'm willing to bet BYU would love to play another Pac-12 team along than Utah on an annual basis. That being said, I wouldn't hold my breath that a rivalry game with UW would happened anytime soon. In fact, UW recently canceled the last 2 games of the 4 game series they signed with us.
B
byucougar1
It seems that we have a good tie in with OSU because of Bronco's alma mater. I think adding AF, BSU, UNLV, and SDSU makes sense because of the local fan base and geographic proximity.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.