Archived Topic

Apo MIA?

by golong · 1/5/2012

Advertisement
G
golong
Regrettably, I was not able to watch the BYU bowl game against Tulsa, but I noticed in the states, that Apo did not catch a pass. Did he play? were any balls thrown to him? For a premier receiver to have no receptions is unusual. If he did not play, is there a story here? I saw nothing about an injury, disciplinary action, etc. Can anybody enlighten me?
F
frdbtr
He played, was thrown at but didn't catch a pass. With Riley being off his game though, it isn't too unusual.
L
Lawboy
When you watch teh game you will notice that about every pass that RN threw to Apo was awful. Lucky to not have some picked.



Yeah, RN was off badly. And looked worse in his deliveries to Apo. Fortunately, RN had a sweet connection with Hoff going on.
M
mizzoucoug
golong wrote:
Regrettably, I was not able to watch the BYU bowl game against Tulsa, but I noticed in the states, that Apo did not catch a pass. Did he play? were any balls thrown to him? For a premier receiver to have no receptions is unusual. If he did not play, is there a story here? I saw nothing about an injury, disciplinary action, etc. Can anybody enlighten me?


I have nothing against Apo but he is not a premier receiver. Why does he get the Chambers hype from everyone? He has caught a good number of TD's but he is invisible between the 20's. I just hope he works out with Hoff in the offseason because right now Apo is not half the route runner and gamer that Cody is. We need him to be another option and he just hasn't been.
C
CougarClaw
Apo had a sure TD that Riley simply overthrew.



it was the play the announcers said that Apo "gave up" on. I think Apo did a stop and go route and given how much Riley was off that day, I don't think Apo gave up at all. Anyways, he was there and at least he lost us 11 yards on one play.



Thanks Apo. ;)
Advertisement
F
frdbtr
mizzoucoug wrote:
Regrettably, I was not able to watch the BYU bowl game against Tulsa, but I noticed in the states, that Apo did not catch a pass. Did he play? were any balls thrown to him? For a premier receiver to have no receptions is unusual. If he did not play, is there a story here? I saw nothing about an injury, disciplinary action, etc. Can anybody enlighten me?


I have nothing against Apo but he is not a premier receiver. Why does he get the Chambers hype from everyone? He has caught a good number of TD's but he is invisible between the 20's. I just hope he works out with Hoff in the offseason because right now Apo is not half the route runner and gamer that Cody is. We need him to be another option and he just hasn't been.


He's a fresham dude. What were you expecting Jr Austin Collie numbers? He had about the same type of Freshman year that Hoffman had last year (cept that Hoffman did not have a Hoffman opposite him last year). I expect him to get much better as his career develops.
S
SpiffCoug
Apo was targeted 4 times vs Tulsa - one of which was intercepted. As others said, he could have had at least one TD with a better throw from Riley.



On the year, he had 34 catches on 75 targets for 453 yards and 9 TDs, with a Receiver Efficiency Rating of 125.00.



I think those are VERY good numbers for a freshman.



Two comparisons for freshmen: Hoffman last year: 42 catches on 80 targets for 527 yards and 7 TDs with a RER of 121.71.



Austin Colle in 2004: 53catches for 771 yards and 8 TDs. I don't have the targets for Collie or a RER (my data doesn't go back that far that detailed yet).



I think Apo had a very good year for a freshman and has a lot of potential to get better.
D
Dwight
I've got a sneaking suspicion, and hope that Nelson will be spending more time in the off season working with his recievers. Maybe they will get some chemistry like Max and Pitta had. That may be superior to attending 3 of 66 off season work outs. I kind of new in the Ole Miss game that something was wrong when Apo and Hoffman were both relatively silent. Kind of make me scratch my head right away.
B
byucougar1
If Riley develops the same kind of relationship with Apo that he did with Hoffman (ie wink and go on the fake spike vs TU), we are in for some fireworks. At this point, however, I think Apo can outrun a long distance throw from Riley as opposed to Heaps :-)



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
cougman
mizzoucoug wrote:
Regrettably, I was not able to watch the BYU bowl game against Tulsa, but I noticed in the states, that Apo did not catch a pass. Did he play? were any balls thrown to him? For a premier receiver to have no receptions is unusual. If he did not play, is there a story here? I saw nothing about an injury, disciplinary action, etc. Can anybody enlighten me?


I have nothing against Apo but he is not a premier receiver. Why does he get the Chambers hype from everyone? He has caught a good number of TD's but he is invisible between the 20's. I just hope he works out with Hoff in the offseason because right now Apo is not half the route runner and gamer that Cody is. We need him to be another option and he just hasn't been.


Have you even watched Apo? The dude is a beast and an absolute stud. He's every bit as good as Hoffman, maybe even more talented, but Hoff has benefited from good chemistry with Riley and his own radical awesomeness. Don't kid yourself, Apo is a stud.
Advertisement
B
BroncoBot
cougman wrote:
golong wrote:
Regrettably, I was not able to watch the BYU bowl game against Tulsa, but I noticed in the states, that Apo did not catch a pass. Did he play? were any balls thrown to him? For a premier receiver to have no receptions is unusual. If he did not play, is there a story here? I saw nothing about an injury, disciplinary action, etc. Can anybody enlighten me?


I have nothing against Apo but he is not a premier receiver. Why does he get the Chambers hype from everyone? He has caught a good number of TD's but he is invisible between the 20's. I just hope he works out with Hoff in the offseason because right now Apo is not half the route runner and gamer that Cody is. We need him to be another option and he just hasn't been.


Have you even watched Apo? The dude is a beast and an absolute stud. He's every bit as good as Hoffman, maybe even more talented, but Hoff has benefited from good chemistry with Riley and his own radical awesomeness. Don't kid yourself, Apo is a stud.

I Really like Apo. But as others have said, he's a freshman, and is falling victim to the "hype" machine that was revved up on his behalf. He had a very solid year and we wouldn't have beat Ole Miss without his play.



BUT... he's no Hoffman, not yet.
K
KYCoug
Don't forget Apo also had to deal with a concussion early on in the year also. I agree, nothing but upside on this one. Question will be can Riley get the ball close enough to him when he's facing a good pass rush and a good secondary???
C
Cougs_Rule
I would bet money that Hoff weighs more and has more strength than Apo. Hoff seems to be able to fight for more balls. Apo is more fluid and relies more on the open field. And for deep passes, with an average ball speed for long passes, it will rely even more on timing--a factor that presumably Apo was trying to develop with Heaps during the summer. While Hoff was best buds with Riley. Just makes a lot of sense. And given that context with the concussion, as others have said, not a bad year.

To say he is not a "premier" receiver, is not only premature, it is hating on a pretty talented dude. He was getting on the Riley train by the end of the year, as evidenced by his postgame comments once it was clear Jake was on the way out.

Hoff and Apo will be one of the best tandems in the west next year. Defenses will not be able to double both.
M
mizzoucoug
frdbtr wrote:
golong wrote:
Regrettably, I was not able to watch the BYU bowl game against Tulsa, but I noticed in the states, that Apo did not catch a pass. Did he play? were any balls thrown to him? For a premier receiver to have no receptions is unusual. If he did not play, is there a story here? I saw nothing about an injury, disciplinary action, etc. Can anybody enlighten me?


I have nothing against Apo but he is not a premier receiver. Why does he get the Chambers hype from everyone? He has caught a good number of TD's but he is invisible between the 20's. I just hope he works out with Hoff in the offseason because right now Apo is not half the route runner and gamer that Cody is. We need him to be another option and he just hasn't been.


He's a fresham dude. What were you expecting Jr Austin Collie numbers? He had about the same type of Freshman year that Hoffman had last year (cept that Hoffman did not have a Hoffman opposite him last year). I expect him to get much better as his career develops.


I think you just made my point for me. He might be great--in fact I think the WR screen was not utilized nearly enough with him because he's good for 5 every time imo. However, he is in fact invisible most games between the 20's. Yes he's a freshman, which aligns with what I said--he's not a premier receiver...(hopefully) yet.
M
mizzoucoug
dmcougar wrote:
I would bet money that Hoff weighs more and has more strength than Apo. Hoff seems to be able to fight for more balls. Apo is more fluid and relies more on the open field. And for deep passes, with an average ball speed for long passes, it will rely even more on timing--a factor that presumably Apo was trying to develop with Heaps during the summer. While Hoff was best buds with Riley. Just makes a lot of sense. And given that context with the concussion, as others have said, not a bad year.

To say he is not a "premier" receiver, is not only premature, it is hating on a pretty talented dude. He was getting on the Riley train by the end of the year, as evidenced by his postgame comments once it was clear Jake was on the way out.

Hoff and Apo will be one of the best tandems in the west next year. Defenses will not be able to double both.


That doesn't make sense. So he is a premier receiver? And to disagree is to hate? Wow. No, Apo is not close to being a premier receiver at this point in his career. Hoffman, however, is. Hoffman also has one more year of experience so we'll see how much Apo produces next season. I think he can be as good or better than Hoff, but at this point it's just hype/Chambers talk.
Advertisement
F
frdbtr
mizzoucoug wrote:
I think you just made my point for me. He might be great--in fact I think the WR screen was not utilized nearly enough with him because he's good for 5 every time imo. However, he is in fact invisible most games between the 20's. Yes he's a freshman, which aligns with what I said--he's not a premier receiver...(hopefully) yet.


Freshman Apo Numbers:



SEASON REC YDS AVG LNG TD

2011 34 453 13.3 42 9



Freshman Hoffman numbers:



REC YDS AVG LNG TD

2010 42 527 12.5 37 7



I don't see any reason to talk about players "disapearing" in games when they put up stats like that. Apo is a great player who is developing. When you come on here and say "he is all hype" it comes across as hating not matter how you want to backtrack on your original statement.



EDIT: One more thing. I wouldn't call 34 receptions "Disapearing between the 20's" since he didn't have 34 td receptions. I wouldn't call a 13 yard average per reception "disapearing between the 20's" I wouldn't call 453 total yards "disapearing between the 20's". He is a very good player....as a freshman. Only going to get better.
I
IowaCougar
I think the biggest difference between Hoffman and Apo was the natural connection that Riley and Hoffman seemed to have.



I enjoyed being able to see the whole field at the Armed Forces Bowl. One thing I noticed was that many of the passes that were "not close" appeared to be a result of miscommunication between Riley and the receivers, so the pass went where Riley thought the receiver was going (some of these were also because of blatant holding by Tulsa, which was never called).



I think both receivers should be able to do well next year with the opportunity they'll have to work with Riley leading up to next season. :)
M
Mars


Apo had 9 TD receptions as a freshman, and people are talking smack about him? What is wrong with our fanbase!?? :sick:
M
mizzoucoug
Mars wrote:


Apo had 9 TD receptions as a freshman, and people are talking smack about him? What is wrong with our fanbase!?? :sick:


Wow gimme a break people. Perhaps it would be helpful for someone to define "premier receiver" which is my only hangup on this thread. I'm thinking Collie, Hoff, Pitta, Harline, etc. when I think of "premier." I sure hope he gets there during his young career, but unless your definition is different from mine that is an insane label to put on a Freshman and comes across as Chambers/Heaps level hype to say so.
M
Mars
mizzoucoug wrote:
Wow gimme a break people.

"Premier"? No. But, "Missing in Action"? Also no, a big no on the season in fact. He showed up well.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.