Archived Topic

Player rotations lately

by beauso79 · 1/3/2012

Advertisement
B
beauso79
So is anybody else tired of the cautious approach lately?? I mean I couldn't believe when I saw Cusick, Carlino, and Zylstra on the floor at the same time this last game. That has to be the most pathetic perimeter defense imaginable. Cusick is just a safe option with no upside whatsoever. I work with one of the coaches' wives from the College of Southern Idaho and they were attending the Baylor game to watch Pierre Jackson and they said they couldn't believe we started Cusick at point. They said he was terrible when they went to SLCC to look at some recruits. Once Rogers returns I'd much rather see a guy like Winder get Cusick's minutes. Cusick's a safe, boring option that limits TO's but provides no offensive production at all, he cant' take it to the rim, and plays beyond crappy defense. Another player that needs time at Zylstra's expense is Harrison. Zylstra's averaging like 5 pts/game lately and he's not hitting 3's anymore which is about his only value to the team. This cautious approach we've gotten ourselves into is buggin'....!!!!
S
srcougar
I don't know what to think about Cusick. But I really agree with what you say about Winder and Harrison. I think they just have enormous potential and are very exciting to watch. I would love for them to be a very regular part of the rotation.
B
beauso79
Once Rogers returns I wouldn't be opposed to seeing Winder eat into Zylstra's playing time neither. Winder can take it to the hole. I've also seen Harrison take it to the hole a few times and make some awesome passes once he gets there. I would actually like to see what Harrison could do if given the chance to run the point if he's just going to sit and rot on the bench in favor of Zylstra and Cusick. We really need the athletic ability of Winder and Harrison to take us to another, more competitive, level.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
E
EM_Puma
Arnet mentioned in his weekly letter that maybe it wasn't Jimmer that we missed the most this season, but actually it was Jackson. We haven't had the problem providing sufficient scoring to make that much of a difference from Jimmer, but our guard line defense has greatly fallen off as we've relied on the many individuals called to fill in his void. The thought definitely has merit as it has been the 3-pt play that has killed us in each of our losses and the lack of the defenisve guru to put on our opponents hot hand.
B
beauso79
I really think more playing time for Harrison, Winder, and for the most part Rogers would greatly help out our perimeter defense
Advertisement
C
Cougs_Rule
Zylstra will be on a short leash. Early season good play and points (and over the summer for that matter) has earned him as much. But, Winder has his set of breaking in problems. And I don't know why DeMarcus didn't play till late in the San Diego game, but it made me wonder if Rose is pulling his chain a little bit and getting him to play within the system--however that system could be defined.

Yes. We miss Jax horribly. He really could lock down a whole side of the court and even cheat over for Jimmer, as we know.

I noticed D pressure being stepped us at one point in the SD game. I think they are working to improve that, but still needs work.

I wonder also if this is a result of losing Dave Rice. He brought so much and was so complimentary to DRose's style.
M
mizzoucoug
EM_Puma wrote:
Arnet mentioned in his weekly letter that maybe it wasn't Jimmer that we missed the most this season, but actually it was Jackson. We haven't had the problem providing sufficient scoring to make that much of a difference from Jimmer, but our guard line defense has greatly fallen off as we've relied on the many individuals called to fill in his void. The thought definitely has merit as it has been the 3-pt play that has killed us in each of our losses and the lack of the defenisve guru to put on our opponents hot hand.


I agree with this and I don't think there's any question that our perimeter defensive rotation has been the reason for every loss this season. Zylstra is a liability as is Cusick. Carlino doesn't hustle much either. Rogers will make a big difference on the weak side wing so that the top zone doesn't need to cheat as much. Fix this problem and we'll beat some good teams finally.
A
AZman
Cusick is an ok option if both Carlino and Winder are in foul trouble but other than that he shouldn't get more than 10 minutes in a game. Zylstra's role on the team should be simple: screen to get people open and shoot the rock whenever he is open. Defensively he is a HUGE liability so when Rogers comes back I wouldn't keep him out very much. Harrison is still pretty raw, he needs to get 15 minutes consistently every game so he can keep improving and gaining confidence in his jump shot. He has tremendous upside, so when he is a junior or senior the WCC (or wherever we are) better watch out. Winder (how do you pronounce his last name anyway, announcers usually do it one of two ways) needs to be playing more, plain and simple, at either guard position. Losing Jimmer and Jackson definitely makes our current backcourt look like they are lacking, but with more development and time.patience I think by the time March rolls around our backcourt will compliment our solid frontcourt quite nicely.
C
Cougs_Rule
Winder as in wind the string.

Zylstra is decent in the open court run and gun. BUt with a post offense, doesn't seem we do as much. Needs some bench time to make him work harder in D. But not a lot of great options. But again, Rose will get as much out of him as possible.

Cusick is not a total waist. Martineau is pretty close. So, glass has to be at least 1/3 full. :-)

DHarrison, does need play time, but I think Rose is managing a freshman with a lot of talent and I'm guessing some, lets say, attitude (I don't know that for sure) and he is keeping him throttled back. Just a hunch.

Rogers is decent on permitter defense, but at times has seemed to me to be a bit lazy. I think his minutes will be limited to try and avoid re-injury for the time being.
G
Gunk
Zylstra should be on the bench. No defense and no offense unless it's a wide open 3 or a layup off of someone else's defensive stop.



Cusick is a safe guard that doesn't turn the ball over, which in certain situations is valuable. He's good for giving Carlino a rest and when Carlino gets too careless with the ball (ala SMC).



IMO, Rogers should start over Zylstra with Winder coming off the bench to spell Rogers. Zylstra can spell Abouo and Harrison can get in the mix there a bit. Winder plays better D than Zylstra, handles the ball better and will improve the more PT he gets. Zylstra hit his apex two months ago.



Problem with Harrison is he just doesn't make good decisions out on the court. He's still adjusting to college hoops, but needs to be patient. I think the speed of other teams has thrown him way off. I also get the sense he's hungry to make an impact so tries to force things rather than play within the system, usually resulting in a turn over. Love his confidence and if he's patient he'll be a force.



Cusick, Zylstra and Carlino should never, ever be on the court at the same time unless Winder, Rogers, Abouo and Harrison are all in foul trouble.
Advertisement
B
beauso79
Lately Cusick has been getting more than just back-up minutes. He started the second half of one of the games recently. Maybe Rose is trying to send Carlino a message??



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
SpiffCoug
Yes. The message is stay out of foul trouble. He fouled out against San Diego and had four against St. Mary's. That's why Carlino only has 47 minutes and Cusick has 34.
B
Brayden Green
Carlino reaches in a lot on the bigs trying to go up in the low block. I bet he gets 2-3 fouls a night trying to block guys in the low block from the backside. I like the hustle, but that is normally going to be a foul with the incessant reffing we have been receiving.



I've said it before, but Cusick brings absolutely nothing to the team, (see my other thread for his numbers.) He is a warm body that occasionally gets an assist, and occasionally turns the ball over. Add in an automatic double to the post (teams have NO respect for his shot, nor should they) and we are normally worse with him in than not.



Matt simply needs to stop getting those dumb fouls.



As to Rogers v zylstra - Rogers' perimter defense is heads and tails above anyone on our team. Including Charles Abuou. Abuou might play good man defense, but he is horrible at rotating to contest the shot. Rogers gets 2-3 blocks on those perimeter shots.



Zylstras days are numbered, if he continues to brick the three.
M
Mars
BlueIsBetter wrote:
I've said it before, but Cusick brings absolutely nothing to the team, (see my other thread for his numbers.) He is a warm body that occasionally gets an assist, and occasionally turns the ball over. Add in an automatic double to the post (teams have NO respect for his shot, nor should they) and we are normally worse with him in than not.



Zylstras days are numbered, if he continues to brick the three.

I think you are being a bit overly harsh with your assessments here. I like both of those guys, even if they aren't Div. I starters at other elite schools. Hard workers, each of them.
B
Brayden Green
Nothing against the people. And it isn't about working hard. It is about working hard + talent. Rogers and Carlino work just as hard, but have the talent/size/athleticism, etc those guys don't.



I still like them, and they are still cougs. I will cheer for them every second they are in.
Advertisement
B
BroncoBot
Mars wrote:
I've said it before, but Cusick brings absolutely nothing to the team, (see my other thread for his numbers.) He is a warm body that occasionally gets an assist, and occasionally turns the ball over. Add in an automatic double to the post (teams have NO respect for his shot, nor should they) and we are normally worse with him in than not.



Zylstras days are numbered, if he continues to brick the three.

I think you are being a bit overly harsh with your assessments here. I like both of those guys, even if they aren't Div. I starters at other elite schools. Hard workers, each of them.

AGree with you mars.



Cusick has saved the cougars' hides tonight against LMU. Not everyone is expected to put up 20pts 10boards. And the offense has been much better since Cusick took over. We'll see if Carlino can add to the lead. Hopefully he can hold it.
G
Gunk
declocoug wrote:
BlueIsBetter wrote:
I've said it before, but Cusick brings absolutely nothing to the team, (see my other thread for his numbers.) He is a warm body that occasionally gets an assist, and occasionally turns the ball over. Add in an automatic double to the post (teams have NO respect for his shot, nor should they) and we are normally worse with him in than not.



Zylstras days are numbered, if he continues to brick the three.

I think you are being a bit overly harsh with your assessments here. I like both of those guys, even if they aren't Div. I starters at other elite schools. Hard workers, each of them.

AGree with you mars.



Cusick has saved the cougars' hides tonight against LMU. Not everyone is expected to put up 20pts 10boards. And the offense has been much better since Cusick took over. We'll see if Carlino can add to the lead. Hopefully he can hold it.


Very good game from Cusick tonight. I liked how he was more aggressive with the ball. If he keeps playing that well Carlino could find himself with fewer minutes.



I do like how Carlino pushes the ball, though. He just needs to keep that head up and dish it out as soon as that foot crosses the free throw line.
B
Brayden Green
First seven minutes of the half versus the next 7 minutes Cusick was running... That is all I have to say on the Cusick vs Carlino talk. There is an immediate change of tempo when Carlino comes in the game. He is a great upcourt passer, and we play BYU offense.



BYU is on fire when Carlino is in, getting the ball up the court and getting open looks. When Cusick is in at PG, half court offense time (which isn't very good; even against the weak WCC bigs...)



I'm not trying to bag on one of our own. Do you honestly think Cusick had the better game? (Better night shooting with those wide open 3's. Sure. But overall?)



I'm not sure I have ever seen a PG so afraid to have the ball as Cusick. I haven't seen him with the ball in his possession for longer than 3 seconds, since I can't remember when. He looks like he is playing hot potato. Gets it rid to the wingman coming to the ball, or the high-high post and then "kind of" sets a pick, then goes and stands in the corner. Rinse - Wash - Repeat.



A telling play for me, was when he turned the ball over at the end of the game in the press, with about a minute thirty left in the game, AND THEN THE NEXT PLAY HE IS LITERALLY RUNNING AWAY FROM Zylstra, down the court - who is being double teamed in the trap. I've NEVER seen a pg run away from the ball when a teammate is in trouble in a press. You're the point guard, man. Bringing the ball down the court is YOUR job. He stays in the game we might lose that, because nobody but Carlino could get the ball up the court. (SEE: Utah State game)



Thanks for hitting your shots though, Cusick. Good hustle, and good game. (not sarcastic)
C
Cougs_Rule
Wow, Blue. Would you prefer Martineau? At a critical time in that game last night, when scoring had stalled, he and Noah worked an inside-out approach to perfection on two plays. He got nine points and facilitated Noah getting some shots as well. If they, noah and cusick, don't have that little run, I really doubt we win this game.

Yes, he is not a world beater, and he is not good at breaking the press or high pressure D. BUt a team is rarely going to run that all game.

Rose trusts him enough. He's the second best option at point compared to everyone else he has tried. And sometimes better than Carlino when Carlino is out of control and chucking.
G
Gunk
dmcougar wrote:
Wow, Blue. Would you prefer Martineau? At a critical time in that game last night, when scoring had stalled, he and Noah worked an inside-out approach to perfection on two plays. He got nine points and facilitated Noah getting some shots as well. If they, noah and cusick, don't have that little run, I really doubt we win this game.

Yes, he is not a world beater, and he is not good at breaking the press or high pressure D. BUt a team is rarely going to run that all game.

Rose trusts him enough. He's the second best option at point compared to everyone else he has tried. And sometimes better than Carlino when Carlino is out of control and chucking.


I think you and Blue are on the same page. Cusick is our best option at backup PG. Blue is just pointing out that overall Carlino had a better game and the fact that Cusick happened to show for 5 min in one game doesn't mean Cusick is suddenly the better PG.



Had Carlino sunk a couple of those 3s he shot this conversation wouldn't be taking place. Between assists and points Carlino had a direct role in 20 pts last night. Cusick accounted for 13.



Like I said, all Carlino really needs to do at this point is be more selective with his shots and not dribble into traffic. Right now, he's JT 2.0 behind the arc.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.