Archived Topic

Coaching Changes for 2012

by byucougar1 · 1/3/2012

Advertisement
B
byucougar1
As we evaluate our upcoming season in 2012, it is clear that not only does our SOS increase, but the demands placed upon the coaches will obviously increase as well. Currently, we have two coaches that are pulling double duty - Bronco at HC/DC and Doman at OC/QB coach. Don't think this is an ideal situation in the long run.



I had heard that during a recent radio interview, Chris Hoke (Steelers) had expressed interest in coaching at BYU when his career is over (neck injury appears to be quite serious for return to play). Specifically, The interviewer asked if Chris ever had interest in coaching, and specifically asked about coaching at BYU. Hoke's response was something along the lines of "I love BYU, I would absolutely love to work their in some capacity when my NFL career is done, I mean I bleed black and gold but there is no doubt that a little blue comes out as well."



With the experience he has gaained while with the Steelers and the level of respect that he commands, he would appear to be a great addition to the Y defense and provide Bronco some relief.



Regarding QB coach, is it time to check back with Ty Detmer or possibly Max Hall if injury bug has impacted his professional career?



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
L
Lawboy
BYU has plenty of great options for coaches in all positions. Issue is the NCAA limitation of staff numbers, and the low turnover of the BYU staff. Unless we have some guys retire or decide to find a new school, no positions will open any time soon. Reynolds is rumored to be retiring soon, but how soon is anyone's guess.
C
Cougarbib
Nip Bud



This train of thought keeps getting raised. Let me nip the premise in the bud. BYU and all schools are limited to the number of coaches and grad assistants they can have. That is why Chad Lewis has an office job instead of a coaching slot. Some coaches will always have to do double duty. It is just a matter of which coach and which duties.



To add any coach - another coach has to be let go - and someone will still have double duty.



It is very common for the OC to have double duty. Anae did. It is less common, but not unheard of for the Head Coach to do it and when they do double up, DC or OC is the 2nd role.



So - maybe you will ask a different question.



Should double duties be rearranged?

Should an existing coach be replaced by a better coach?



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
snoscythe
Mark Weber and his stellar record of over-promising and under-delivering each season need to go. John Tait FTW? Or slide Reynolds to O-line and bring in a minority position coach?



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
E
EM_Puma
snoscythe wrote:
Mark Weber and his stellar record of over-promising and under-delivering each season need to go. John Tait FTW? Or slide Reynolds to O-line and bring in a minority position coach?



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


I would have to say that the OL has been disappointing now for several years if we are to believe that those on the line are as good as we are led to believe. It's most likely one issue or the other and I'm just not sure, but I'd like to see if someone can do better. I had heard prior to the season beginning how much more physical fit this OL was going to be and seeing Maro Thorson in the Tulsa game and his mid-line, that was hard to believe.
Advertisement
C
Cougarfan87
EM_Puma wrote:
Mark Weber and his stellar record of over-promising and under-delivering each season need to go. John Tait FTW? Or slide Reynolds to O-line and bring in a minority position coach?



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


I would have to say that the OL has been disappointing now for several years if we are to believe that those on the line are as good as we are led to believe. It's most likely one issue or the other and I'm just not sure, but I'd like to see if someone can do better. I had heard prior to the season beginning how much more physical fit this OL was going to be and seeing Maro Thorson in the Tulsa game and his mid-line, that was hard to believe.


Totally agree. The O-Line has seemed to underperform for years. It doesn't hurt much against terrible teams...because they're terrible, but it has cost us key possessions against very good teams. I believe that is one of the reasons Riley played better. Aside from the myriad other issues, he was more elusive so that O-Line breakdowns did not affect him as much. We will not always have an elusive QB, so we need to shore up the O-line.
B
byucougar1
It appears that we need more athleticism/agility at the OL position. Smaller but athletic and strong DLs slowed down or stuffed our run game (TX, UT, and to some extent TCU, TU and Ole Miss) and put pressure on our QB - making him over/under throw or miss entirely. If OL takes on Matt Reynolds mentality (pnacake block without helmet), we will have a very effective offense.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
E
EM_Puma
byucougar1 wrote:
If OL takes on Matt Reynolds mentality (pnacake block without helmet), we will have a very effective offense.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Who couldn't love that aspect of the play and applaud his hussle after finding himself on the ground and without a helmet to get up and support his QB, but I am still wondering how Matt ended up on the ground in the first place as I watch that replay.
C
Cougs_Rule
EM_Puma wrote:
If OL takes on Matt Reynolds mentality (pnacake block without helmet), we will have a very effective offense.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Who couldn't love that aspect of the play and applaud his hussle after finding himself on the ground and without a helmet to get up and support his QB, but I am still wondering how Matt ended up on the ground in the first place as I watch that replay.


What matters is he got up after falling down. :-)

But really, if MAtt showed that level of aggressiveness all season, he would be still 1st round material.

NOw that this thread is totally off, may I just ask: What is the difference between Wisconsin's tough, beefy, WHITE guys and BYU guys? Don't tell me they run the 40 faster--or by any substantive difference. Don't tell me they are Elite athletes or moreso than BYU's guys.

Maybe Omer personally trains our Oline..........at the cafeteria. Have you seen that dude in person? Sorry, I know thats a little offensive, but really Get HOKE in here to coach the Oline and make em nasty hogs!!
W
Wickchad
byucougar1 wrote:
Currently, we have two coaches that are pulling double duty - Bronco at HC/DC


Bronco is pulling triple duty when you also factor in fireside coordinating.



When a head coach doesn't handle the offense or defense, what do they do all game? Decide whether to punt or go for it on fourth down? I see nothing wrong with Bronco being the DC.



Doman also being the QB coach could be more of an issue. I like it better when the OC is in charge of the TE because its less noticeable when the TEs under perform.
Advertisement
G
Guest
Wickchad84087 wrote:
I like it better when the OC is in charge of the TE because its less noticeable when the TEs under perform.


--signed Robert Anae.
M
Mingjai
dmcougar wrote:
NOw that this thread is totally off, may I just ask: What is the difference between Wisconsin's tough, beefy, WHITE guys and BYU guys? Don't tell me they run the 40 faster--or by any substantive difference. Don't tell me they are Elite athletes or moreso than BYU's guys.


I hate the Badgers as much as the next Minnesotan, but I ask myself that same questions every time I see the Badgers O-line dominate another B1G opponent.
S
SpiffCoug
Wisconsin's OLine has a nasty streak. BYU's comes and goes.



Too bad Wisconsin didn't have a red alert play they could have run at the end of the game yesterday.
C
CAFB_04-12
Haha! Ouch!



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougs_Rule
SpiffCoug wrote:
Wisconsin's OLine has a nasty streak. BYU's comes and goes.



Too bad Wisconsin didn't have a red alert play they could have run at the end of the game yesterday.


Ya, my point. Scukanec was not the best athlete--but got the edge with meanness and led his fellow Olinemen accordingly. John Tait, seems he had size, some athleticism and toughness.

Im sure there are others. Mo E., a lot of athleticism.

Anyway, seems like I used to hear a lot more in past years about "pancake blocks." Is that still a metric used to evaluate linemen? Or did that just Lose enthusiasm at BYU. Seems like this topic needs its own thread.
Advertisement
G
Guest
I know Provo School District is trying really hard to push Coach Wong out at Timpview, he'd be a great oline coach.
S
Sammich
Coach Weber said the players call him "the fun coach," which might explain why the O-line lacks the nastiness people are hoping for. :)
C
Cougs_Rule
e is a good guy. talked with him several times. Maybe everybody in Provo should treat him mean and nasty and tell him how to do that part of his job and he'd either get the point or move on. He should bring back Bronco's old sumo, mano-e-mano, fights he used to do with the D. Instead Weber is feeding them tea and crumpets--and lots of positive press.
L
Lawboy
I have heard that Rob Morris could be in line to be an LB coach should Tidwell retire, or another D Coach leave the staff. Obviously, that could be years away. BYU staff has little turnover most years.
S
SpiffCoug
Isn't Rob Morris a graduate assistant for the offense?
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.