Archived Topic

Revenue question

by KYCoug · 1/3/2012

Advertisement
K
KYCoug
I'm back to work from the holidays and dealing with some IT support issues with hospital revenue redirection (I hate accounting but, that's what I do!) anyway my mind began to wander to my favorite topic...The Cougs of course and I was wondering if now that the season is over if anyone has an idea what the revenue for the Cougs has been. Everyone said with ESPN and being independent we should really rack up the bucks. Have we? How do we compare to last year with the MWC, and how do we compare with the average Puke12 or Big12 team this year?



Just wondering? got to be something better to do than work!!!





Go Cougs!



L Hatton

Louisville, KY
C
Cougs_Rule
Great question. Would love to see that. Doubt we will. NOt sure that would ever be public--not from BYU or the Church.

Maybe ask Wrubell in an email. If anybody could get it, it would be him.
S
scott715
No one knows but it was several hundred percent increase from last year.
G
Guest
Estimates I saw early in the year indicated that we would earn approximately $10-$12 million this year from our TV deal.
L
Lawboy
hawkwing wrote:
Estimates I saw early in the year indicated that we would earn approximately $10-$12 million this year from our TV deal.


I think that is about right. I think we made $2M for the TCU game in Dallas, then about $1M per for the other 6 ESPN games/avg. Probably another $500K for Idaho State game on BYUtv. And I think we got paid some to go to Ole Miss as well. I would guess football made close to $10M, with hoops racking up some good TV money as well, perhaps $2-3M for the year.



This is 3x what the MWC paiys out, so not bad, all things considered. But still well below all other BCS leagues, except the Big East. And starting in 2012, the SEC, Big Ten and PAC-12 will start printing $$$ with their TV deals.
Advertisement
C
CougarClaw
we earned lots more. BYU won't talk about that stuff though and everything else is just rumors and superstitution. Unless you have an inside sources with secret info :whistle:



other than that, you'll just have to keep your eye open for lavish expenditures. Like new helmets during the Bowl Game. :D
A
ABYUFAN
KYCoug wrote:
I'm back to work from the holidays and dealing with some IT support issues with hospital revenue redirection (I hate accounting but, that's what I do!) anyway my mind began to wander to my favorite topic...The Cougs of course and I was wondering if now that the season is over if anyone has an idea what the revenue for the Cougs has been. Everyone said with ESPN and being independent we should really rack up the bucks. Have we? How do we compare to last year with the MWC, and how do we compare with the average Puke12 or Big12 team this year?



Just wondering? got to be something better to do than work!!!





Go Cougs!



L Hatton

Louisville, KY


My personal belief is that (for our beloved Cougars) money isn't really an issue, exposure is. And I cannot begin to express how much I've loved seeing BYU all over ESPN and BYUtv in both hoops and football... for that reason, this has been a special year!
C
Cougs_Rule
Well said! Exposure matters. BYU costs 1 million/day to operate. Having gross increase of 8-10Mm more is no small thing, but exposure at game time and for rebroadcasts is huge.

Now if I could just get Direct satellite to send BYUtv's HD signal over the airways in HD!!
S
snoscythe
Judging by the beggardly emails I get every week from BYUtv, they are indesperate need of more of my money, FWIW.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
E
EM_Puma
snoscythe wrote:
Judging by the beggardly emails I get every week from BYUtv, they are indesperate need of more of my money, FWIW.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Dang, I'm glad I'm not on that list.
Advertisement
G
Guest
EM_Puma wrote:
Judging by the beggardly emails I get every week from BYUtv, they are indesperate need of more of my money, FWIW.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Dang, I'm glad I'm not on that list.


I get them weekly, to 2 different email accounts. Where did I go wrong?
A
ABYUFAN
hawkwing wrote:
snoscythe wrote:
Judging by the beggardly emails I get every week from BYUtv, they are indesperate need of more of my money, FWIW.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Dang, I'm glad I'm not on that list.


I get them weekly, to 2 different email accounts. Where did I go wrong?

I get them all the time too, and SMILE... I never received any emails from the MTN, I'm happy to give to BYUtv
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.