Archived Topic

Bronco = McBride?

by Wickchad · 11/3/2009

Advertisement
W
Wickchad
Just heard a caller on the radio give an interesting reference comparing what Ron McBride did at the U to what Bronco has done at BYU.



The comparison was that McBride took a program that was down and out and brought it back to being relevant again; however, plateaued as a good team. Then Meyer/Whittingham came in and took the next step with the program.



Are we seeing the same thing where Bronco has plateaued at 10 wins and that is all we can expect out him? If a new coach came in, would they be able to get more out of the team than what Bronco does?



Or on the other hand, do most programs experience a temporary "flash in the pan" spark when they change coaches? i.e. Crowton in 2001, Meyer in 2004, Charlie Weis etc where you get one good year and then things drop off.



In my opinion Bronco probably can't do much about the talent level we are able to recruit. The only thing I would like to see is more passion for football. When the papers are reporting that Bronco's wife likes to watch football more than he does that causes me some concern. I understand that when you do something you love and get paid for it, you might not like to do it all the time since you would feel like you are working all of the time. However, I wouldn't mind having the head coach be a football junkie who eats, breathes, and lives for football.
L
Lawboy
I have zero problem with Bronco not watching games at home. When you sit around and break down game film hours a day, then go to practice for several more hours, I can see what the last thing you want to do is watch another game. I think it is tough to go from coach to fan. I know that with my job, the last thing I want to do when I get home is talk about it, or watch it on tv, if such a thing existed. There is a reason pro golfers love to fish, NASCAR drivers love to golf, etc. Got to have a diversion.



As for Bronco =McBride, how many 10 wins seasons did McBride have again? How many consecutive winning years again? please, not even close to compare. Bronco has BYU at a place that the Utes only dreamed about pre-Urban.
F
frdbtr
this is absurd. How many conference titles did mcbride win? How many 10 win seasons? Absolutely absurd.
W
Wickchad
I think the question is less about comparing actual records/acomplishments of McBride and Bronco, but more where they end up and if they have reached as high as they are going to go.



No McBride didn't win a conference championship or have 10 win seasons, but he took a program that was a laughing stock and punching bag for BYU and made them competitive in the conference and about a .50 winning percentage against BYU. He just couldn't take them further than that. That was his plateau. Meyer comes in and his first year they win a conference championship and then the next year is BCS.



Bronco has taken BYU out of the dark ages (Crowton era) and provided 2 conference championships and hopefully 4 consecutive 10 win seasons. But the question is has he plateaued? Can Bronco get us into a BCS game and national championship contention? That is what I would view as the next step for our program.
S
Schmoe
Yeah, just like Urban Meyer took a decent Florida team and is now sitting on the plateau of playing for the NC most years. It's not about records, numbers, championships, it's just about a general perception.
Advertisement
W
wazzucoug97
frdbtr wrote:
this is absurd. How many conference titles did mcbride win? How many 10 win seasons? Absolutely absurd.


100% Agree on this. Bronco is 5 years in, and someone is suggesting he has plateaued? If all he achieves is 4-5 10 win seasons, with a few conference championships and LV Bowl appearances in the next 5 years, I'll consider this theory. Until then, I think 5 more years isn't too much to ask for.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.