Archived Topic

Utah to end the series?

by scott715 · 1/2/2012

Advertisement
S
scott715
Sltrib discussed whether the series will end due to the PAC/BIG series. Should it end? What would you do if you were TH? Any factors to consider?



Utah needs to play us at LES to get on ESPN for there national exsposure. Their bball team does not want any tv. Why not offer play football at our house and basketball at theirs. We'll give them some money to makeup the difference. They can have the woman's basketball game too.
G
Guest
End it please. And good riddance
L
Lawboy
No games scheduled after 2012, so sounds like it is about done. Perhaps Utah will schedule again, but doubt it for after 2017.



And I sAy that sucks. This games is Awesome for the state of Utah and local fans. Hate to see it go. Hate it.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
D
Dcr36
I'm somewhere between hawkwing and lawboy. I love the positive memories that the rivalry created - namely the memorable wins. I love that we have/had a rival - it's one of the hallmarks of being a program that matters. And I don't like the motivations behind ending the game - it's just as much of a tragedy as the loss of Mizzou-Kansas, TAMU-Texas, or Pitt-WVU.



But I hated how nasty it had become.



The sad thing, however, is that I really doubt the rivalry will simmer down/go away just because the two teams stop playing each other. As an Idaho native, I'm amazed how much Idaho/BSU trash talk still goes down, despite the fact that 1) I doubt they'll play each other any time soon and 2) there's a massive discrepancy between the two programs.
C
Cougarbib
I like playing middle or lower PAC teams. Utah is that - plus a rival. Double bonus as long as we never get a QB that loses to them twice in a row again. I could deal with the AQ rub - and stomach the fact that they had those two BCS Bowls - because I think they had a better chance of getting another one if they had stayed in the MWC and scheduled winnable OOC games.



I cannot stomach losing to them two years in a row. If Riley beats Utah in SLC next year - and prevents the Trifecta - Riley will have done Max Hall proud and cemented his own legacy. That would be a signature win even if Utah loses every game next year.



I love the Utes - but not enough to stomach losing to them.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
M
mormonrasta
Purdue, Michigan, Michigan St., USC, and Stanford basically said their rivalries with Notre Dame will continue despite the new scheduling agreement with the Pac-12 and the Big 10.



Iowa confirmed that their series with Iowa St. will continue.



Interesting note regarding the Iowa-Iowa St. series. Iowa has won 3 out of the last 5, 6 out of the last 10, and 12 out of the last 20 in that series. In the BYU-Utah series, Utah has won 3 out of the last 5, 7 out of the last 10, and 12 out of the last 20.



If Iowa is willing to play Iowa St. then Utah should certainly be willing to play BYU. And yes, this will be the last time I compare BYU to Iowa St. ever again.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.