Archived Topic

Roku et al

by mizzoucoug · 12/31/2011

Advertisement
M
mizzoucoug
So I am currently a Dish customer, paying about $32/month for the basics, which gives me every channel I want including AMC, TNT, ESPN 1 & 2, BYU, etc. However, the rest of the lineup is bogus and I started looking into the new streaming devices that are gaining traction. Just found out that I'd have to choke up close to $300 for early termination with Dish so I"m probably a year or 2 away but I'd like to know what people are using as a cable/satellite alternative.



I've read up on Roku, Boxee, WD, and Sony's devices, but none of them seem to do everything I'd want except maybe Boxee. And the only reason I say that is because I watch all my sports programming via under the radar websites and would like to have access to the web on my big screen--assuming of course it doesn't run some weak version of the internet that can't handle flash. As far as channels go I know that only Roku has the BYU app. I also have a lower priority interest in being able to stream media from my main pc.



So what do people here use and like? The Amazon reviews have been helpful but now I am looking for a more in depth and personal recommendation.
S
Schmoe
My Roku only cost fifty bucks and I use it mostly to watch netflix streaming and byu sports reruns, I still have Dish because I have to have my live sports. I don't think the Roku would be a great alternative to Dish (fun fact, though, I was able to stream last years' football games onto my tv instead of watching them on my computer).
H
HoosierCougar
Schmoe wrote:
My Roku only cost fifty bucks and I use it mostly to watch netflix streaming and byu sports reruns, I still have Dish because I have to have my live sports. I don't think the Roku would be a great alternative to Dish (fun fact, though, I was able to stream last years' football games onto my tv instead of watching them on my computer).

Does the $50 Roku stream Netflix and hulu in HD? I am seriously considering dropping DirecTV (not HD) to save a few $$ and keep the kids off the TV a bit.



I'll miss live sports, but I can get BYUtv live over the air as long as I live in UT.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
Schmoe
HoosierCougar wrote:
My Roku only cost fifty bucks and I use it mostly to watch netflix streaming and byu sports reruns, I still have Dish because I have to have my live sports. I don't think the Roku would be a great alternative to Dish (fun fact, though, I was able to stream last years' football games onto my tv instead of watching them on my computer).

Does the $50 Roku stream Netflix and hulu in HD? I am seriously considering dropping DirecTV (not HD) to save a few $$ and keep the kids off the TV a bit.



I'll miss live sports, but I can get BYUtv live over the air as long as I live in UT.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


Unfortunately, I don't know about the HD capabilities of my Roku, because I'm currently too poor to have a good TV. On their website, however, it says that the $50 Roku provides up to 720p, but for the full 1080p you're looking at the $80 version (all come with free shipping). And yes, it does stream Netflix, Hulu, Hulu-plus, and BYUtv.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.