Archived Topic

Does Tulsa constitute a "signature win"

by hawkwing · 12/27/2011

Advertisement
G
Guest
We all know that Riley Nelson has had a very good year, but doesn't have a signature win that other greats at BYU have had. So my question is this, does beating Tulsa constitute a signature win? Why or why not?



Tulsa is 8-4.



@ #1 Oklahoma - L47-14

@Tulane - W31-3

#8 Oklahoma State - L59-33

@ #4 Boise State - L41-21

North Texas - W41-24

UAB - W37-20

@Rice - W38-20

Southern Methodist - W38-7

@UCF - W24-17

Marshall - W59-17

@UTEP - W57-28

#8 Houston - L48-16
L
Lawboy
No. Tulsa is a very good "mid-major" program, but they are hardly a top tier program. We need this win, but it is not a signature win in any shape or form. And I say this as someone who is a TU alum.
G
Guest
Lawboy wrote:
No. Tulsa is a very good "mid-major" program, but they are hardly a top tier program. We need this win, but it is not a signature win in any shape or form. And I say this as someone who is a TU alum.


That's a very small group to be a part of.



I tend to agree with you, however, there is no denying that this will clearly be the best win of the year for BYU, if they pull it off.
C
Cougarbib
Almost - but not quite. Unfortunately, Tulsa will still be a mid-major when the dust settles and people look at the Schedules and lists of wins and losses.



Tulsa may be as good as TCU and better than Utah - but BSU, TCU, SMU, Houston, SDSU, etc., will be BCS AQ and the value of a win over one of them would grow as time forgets the details. Tulsa will still just be Tulsa. Even AFA, Navy, and Army can go BCS AQ simply by saying yes - but Tulsa is too small to attract interest even though they and we will be the two best mid-majors left standing in two or three years.



It will be a good win. A very good win - if we win. I am not ready to take that for granted.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
scott715
It should require the team be ranked to be a signature win.
Advertisement
A
ABYUFAN
scott715 wrote:
It should require the team be ranked to be a signature win.

I agree
G
Gunk
No way. Tulsa is a team we should be able to beat. No one will be shocked if we win. If we lose no one will lose any sleep over it either.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
M
mizzoucoug
Not even a question. They're just another weak team on the schedule that we should be able to pound.
S
stuckinbig10country
I will venture to say that Riley Nelson will never have a more signature win than the comeback against Utah State. He's a descent QB. That's all he'll ever be. Can we please stop making him out to be more than he is?



I hope I'm wrong. I hope he comes out and beats ND and Utah and everyone else on the road next year, but he'll beat the teams where we have better talent then the teams on the other side of the field, he'll lose to the more talented teams.
S
Schmoe
Not just no, but eff no. That is all.
Advertisement
B
BroncoBot
mizzoucoug wrote:
Not even a question. They're just another weak team on the schedule that we should be able to pound.

HA HA, isn't this exactly what teams like Ole Miss, Oregon, ORegon St. etc etc etc say about BYU?



I'm not saying it's a signature win, but they'd beat 3/4 of the pac this year.
G
Guest
declocoug wrote:
Not even a question. They're just another weak team on the schedule that we should be able to pound.

HA HA, isn't this exactly what teams like Ole Miss, Oregon, ORegon St. etc etc etc say about BYU?



I'm not saying it's a signature win, but they'd beat 3/4 of the pac this year.

Tulsa probably would have done well in any BCS league this year. Their only loses were to top teams.
B
BroncoBot
stuckinbig10country wrote:
I will venture to say that Riley Nelson will never have a more signature win than the comeback against Utah State. He's a descent QB. That's all he'll ever be. Can we please stop making him out to be more than he is?



I hope I'm wrong. I hope he comes out and beats ND and Utah and everyone else on the road next year, but he'll beat the teams where we have better talent then the teams on the other side of the field, he'll lose to the more talented teams.

:roll:



Heavens have mercy. People want to see RN succeed as QB.



And isn't your second paragraph just a general rule of sports? The better team beats the worse team? Tim Tebow was amazing as a college QB, but Florida still lost to the teams that were better than his team (and here's a secret, sometimes they lost games they had no business losing. Something Riley's team hasn't done so far).
C
Cougarbib
ABYUFAN wrote:
It should require the team be ranked to be a signature win.

I agree


Even though I voted no, please list every BYU QB you think had a signature win that meets this criteria, especially if you mean ended the season ranked, and who that signature win came against along with the season ending ranking.



I will start with the Obvious Ones -

Detmer over Miami.

Sarkisian over Kansas State

Was Missouri still ranked after Young beat them?

Was SMU still ranked after McMahon beat them?

Was TCU still ranked after Beck beat them?

I really do not think Carter, Sheide, Nielsen, Wilson, Bosco, Doman, or Hall beat a team that ended the season ranked. I might have missed one.



The USU win saved the season and the program - Nelson may never top that. Then again - he just might.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougarbib
Hopefully Nelson goes into the Rice Paddy next season and makes a statement while halting the 2 game slide Vs Utah and extends BYU win streak over USU to two games.



I do not think a team needs to be ranked to be a signature win.



Bosco got his in a gutty performance vs 6-5 Michigan.

Detmer - Miami and Heisman

Young - Missouri and pro career

McMahon - SMU Miracle Bowl and pro career

Wilson - undefeated regular season and near win in Bowl - some NFL success

Doman - beat Utah to save Lavell Edwards last season and 12-0 till Staley went down

Sarkisian - 14-1 with Cotton Bowl win over K-State

Carter - Winning season and NFL Career

Nielson - near perfect season and some NFL success

Beck - 11 wins - TCU - Utah

Hall - I hate Utah and everything about Utah win plus Okie



Anyway - they each stick in our memories. The USU miracle and the ironies associated with it will make many fans remember Riley Belson for a long time.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
L
Lawboy
I look at this as a springboard game for 2012 season more than anything. The team now is RN's for 2012 and there is no QB controversy. BYU needs to come out and assert itself and just look like a dominant team. It will bode well for spring ball, then fall camp, then 2012 season.



Bowl games used to be fun exhibitions. Not anymore. gotta win.
C
Cougarfan87
Lawboy wrote:
I look at this as a springboard game for 2012 season more than anything. The team now is RN's for 2012 and there is no QB controversy. BYU needs to come out and assert itself and just look like a dominant team. It will bode well for spring ball, then fall camp, then 2012 season.



Bowl games used to be fun exhibitions. Not anymore. gotta win.


This is where the importance lies. If we win this game, we are likely a top 25 team, and may even be ranked at the start of next year with a returning QB and key returning starters on offense and defense. That sets the stage nicely for Riley to have that special season next year and hopefully end it with a signature win in a BCS game.
M
mizzoucoug
declocoug wrote:
Not even a question. They're just another weak team on the schedule that we should be able to pound.

HA HA, isn't this exactly what teams like Ole Miss, Oregon, ORegon St. etc etc etc say about BYU?



I'm not saying it's a signature win, but they'd beat 3/4 of the pac this year.


LOL, maybe, but hard to believe any of those teams say that about us since we have owned them all recently. But a team with less familiarity like UT or G Tech, sure.
C
Cougarbib
mizzoucoug wrote:
mizzoucoug wrote:
Not even a question. They're just another weak team on the schedule that we should be able to pound.

HA HA, isn't this exactly what teams like Ole Miss, Oregon, ORegon St. etc etc etc say about BYU?



I'm not saying it's a signature win, but they'd beat 3/4 of the pac this year.


LOL, maybe, but hard to believe any of those teams say that about us since we have owned them all recently. But a team with less familiarity like UT or G Tech, sure.


LOL - I think you missed his point. They thought that - then they lost. Stuff happens when you take an opponent lightly. It seems that BYU fans and maybe the team think we just need to tune into ESPN to get the final margin of victory.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
M
mizzoucoug
Okay gotcha. I guess I have fallen into the trap of non-BCS = should win game. This season has been a blunder from the getgo anyway so I guess I don't really care what happens. Nobody will remember anything good except us not losing to USU 2 years in a row--now that is a sucky season!
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.