Archived Topic

Chambers

by Cougarbib · 12/25/2011

Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
Bronco was quoted Friday saying that Chambers is growing without football which is what Bronco felt he needed to do. He seems to be on track to rejoin the team - possibly as soon as January - but still as walk-on status.



Bronco has not yet decided whether OC will return as a receiver or as a DB.



This could become the "feel good" story we all need re BYU football - well not all of us - I am still pretty pumped about that USU comeback win.



But I do want to see OC come back stronger than ever. And I have a feeling he will be hungry to play some football.



There - a fresh new topic



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
D
Ddawg
I hope "OC" comes back as a Safety. He will be a devastating beast - fast, a ball hawk, and a devastating hitter. It's in his blood - a natural fit.
C
Cougs_Rule
Whether safety or DB, he'll do a great job "separating the WR from the ball." So well, that he will have to do an equally great job not standing over his victim and trash talking. It will be tough to resist. He will deliver some great blows. I would think if he has the acumen, he would be better at safety, given his size and desire to be physical. Way to go OC! Keep on a goin.
M
Mars


I see him coming back as a WR.
B
byucougar1
Mike Hague is a great athlete and transitioned from RB to SS this year. He couldn't beat out the incumbent Travis Uale this year. Next year Sampson most likely replaces Uale with Hague backing him up. Sorensen will be backed up by Jray G. I don't see OC breaking into these two deep lineups. Therefore, I think he vies for playing time with Falslev in the HB position as he has played WR most of his career at BYU.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
Maybe we SPREAD the table next year



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
P
ProV1
Ddawg wrote:
He will be a devastating beast - fast, a ball hawk, and a devastating hitter. It's in his blood - a natural fit.
No offense, OC, but I don't agree with any of this.
K
Kajdin
Chambers, Hoffman, Apo... Have fun with that one opposing secondaries!



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
M
mizzoucoug
ProV1 wrote:
He will be a devastating beast - fast, a ball hawk, and a devastating hitter. It's in his blood - a natural fit.
No offense, OC, but I don't agree with any of this.


Agreed. We haven't had a more overrated player on the team in a while. OC is a below average performer with a big mouth. Nothing more.
S
SpiffCoug
Where ever Chambers plays, I hope they move him before there at the start of spring ball and leave him there. I don't want trying to learn or re-learn a position in fall camp.
Advertisement
B
byu6584
Re: Chambers



Post by mizzoucoug » Mon Dec 26, 2011 3:28 pm



ProV1 wrote:



Ddawg wrote:He will be a devastating beast - fast, a ball hawk, and a devastating hitter. It's in his blood - a natural fit.



No offense, OC, but I don't agree with any of this.







Agreed. We haven't had a more overrated player on the team in a while. OC is a below average performer with a big mouth. Nothing more.


Nothing more??



I'd say a lot more.



OC is a courageous, loyal young man, who happens to wear his emotions on his sleeve.



I cannot begin to express the admiration I have for him and his family, specifically his mother. Even though his current situation was self-inflicted, for him to remain loyal to the coach and team, to stay in school, to be willing to walk back on the team, without a scholarship after sitting for a year, no less, tells me this young man is humble, teachable, and is willing to man-up to adversity and responsibility that very, very few athletes (or that anyone, for that matter) would be willing to do.



I've also seen a young man, while going through his own trials, has seen needs in our (the Provo) community that he saw fit to first, notice, then attempt to do something about with the counsel and support of his mother.



I hope for nothing but the best for O'Neill Chambers. I do believe he has a lot of raw talent, athleticism and ability. I hope it all comes to full fruition next year. Let's cut out the harsh, personal insults and put-downs about a young man who is finding his way through life while trying to correct his past errors in all the right ways.
F
frdbtr
byu6584 wrote:
Nothing more??



I'd say a lot more.



OC is a courageous, loyal young man, who happens to wear his emotions on his sleeve.



I cannot begin to express the admiration I have for him and his family, specifically his mother. Even though his current situation was self-inflicted, for him to remain loyal to the coach and team, to stay in school, to be willing to walk back on the team, without a scholarship after sitting for a year, no less, tells me this young man is humble, teachable, and is willing to man-up to adversity and responsibility that very, very few athletes (or that anyone, for that matter) would be willing to do.



I've also seen a young man, while going through his own trials, has seen needs in our (the Provo) community that he saw fit to first, notice, then attempt to do something about with the counsel and support of his mother.



I hope for nothing but the best for O'Neill Chambers. I do believe he has a lot of raw talent, athleticism and ability. I hope it all comes to full fruition next year. Let's cut out the harsh, personal insults and put-downs about a young man who is finding his way through life while trying to correct his past errors in all the right ways.


A Freakin Men
B
beauso79
We could always use another receiver in the slot next year



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
D
drewage81
i see him playing at the flex TE spot splitting time w/ matthews.
M
Mars


Chambers is a BYU football record holder. I would love to see him gain a few more records, and expand on some too!
Advertisement
B
byucougar1
Playing as either the flex TE or HB, OC will have lots of chances to make big plays as Apo/Hoffman will demand attention - and they will be the focal point of our passing offense. He hasn't had the luxury of being on the field at the same time as these two guys, and all three together, coupled with improved play at the TE, will make our WR a strength of the team

as they will be difficult to handle. OC will bring a tenacity and toughness to the WR crew, and this will translate into big time play makers on a consistent basis.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougarbib
Doman may need to change the identity of the offense like Bronco did with the defense when he had a bunch of linebackers and a deficiency of DBs a few years ago.



We will be off a little at RB next year. We may need to put Hoff, Apo, Chambers, and Falslev, and a TE or back that can catch the ball on the field at the same time on occasion.



Anyway - the 2012 Cougars will need to throw the ball.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
P
ProV1
byu6584 wrote:
Re: Chambers



Post by mizzoucoug » Mon Dec 26, 2011 3:28 pm



ProV1 wrote:



Ddawg wrote:He will be a devastating beast - fast, a ball hawk, and a devastating hitter. It's in his blood - a natural fit.



No offense, OC, but I don't agree with any of this.







Agreed. We haven't had a more overrated player on the team in a while. OC is a below average performer with a big mouth. Nothing more.


Nothing more??



I'd say a lot more.



OC is a courageous, loyal young man, who happens to wear his emotions on his sleeve.



I cannot begin to express the admiration I have for him and his family, specifically his mother. Even though his current situation was self-inflicted, for him to remain loyal to the coach and team, to stay in school, to be willing to walk back on the team, without a scholarship after sitting for a year, no less, tells me this young man is humble, teachable, and is willing to man-up to adversity and responsibility that very, very few athletes (or that anyone, for that matter) would be willing to do.



I've also seen a young man, while going through his own trials, has seen needs in our (the Provo) community that he saw fit to first, notice, then attempt to do something about with the counsel and support of his mother.



I hope for nothing but the best for O'Neill Chambers. I do believe he has a lot of raw talent, athleticism and ability. I hope it all comes to full fruition next year. Let's cut out the harsh, personal insults and put-downs about a young man who is finding his way through life while trying to correct his past errors in all the right ways.


For the record I wasn't personally insulting or putting down a young man, who, I agree, is working hard to come back. I agree with all of the character items you mentioned above, I just don't think he's a very good football player. He couldn't get open as a receiver, he held a lot on down field blocks, and don't get me started on the kick return spin move. To say he's a natural fit for safety is odd. It's a completely different position. I like the idea of tight end (is he big enough?) or flex receiver, but he has no where the raw athletic ability of Apo of Hoffman. I like feel good stories as much as the next guy but let's not plan on any significant on-field contributions.
G
Guest
I am very much looking forward to Chambers return to the field as a Cougar. I think the year away from the game will have helped him mature and I hope he returns to the offense, because I think his skills and talents will be highlighted as a flex WR where he is the 3rd guy and the defenses are focusing on Hoffman and Apo. That will give Chambers a lot of great opportunities.
D
Dcr36
I hope Chambers plays as WR and I don't know why people are down on him. If he plays even slightly better than Jacobsen he'll represent an upgrade over this years WR corps. Not exactly a high bar.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.