Archived Topic

Neutral site games in Honolulu?

by jvquarterback · 12/21/2011

Advertisement
J
jvquarterback
I've been thinking more and more about the Hawaii rule. If UH is willing to sponsor a game between BYU and another team, BYU could play there every year. It's a win-win because neither team loses a home game that year. They could be played the years BYU isn't scheduled to play UH in Honolulu. Anyone think the AD trolls this site?



17.9.5.2 Annual Exemptions. [FBS/FCS]

The maximum number of football contests shall exclude the following:



(k) Hawaii, Alaska, Puerto Rico. [FBS/FCS]

Any football games played in Hawaii, Alaska or Puerto Rico,respectively, either against or under the sponsorship of an active member institution located in Hawaii, Alaska or Puerto Rico, by a Division I member institution located outside the area in question.
L
Lawboy
Sounds like exemptions mainly for the hoops tourneys, cuz no one will want to play football in Alaska or Puerto Rico. But Hawaii--now you are talking.
C
Cougarbib
I used to wish every season had 15 games like 1996, but in reality 13-0 or 14-0 would have been better than 14-1 even though I can never get enough BYU football games. It is a beauty contest where you have to play not to lose. Bugs the heck out of me that things go that way, but an extra game is not a good idea if you want a BCS Bowl or a NC and you are non-AQ.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
J
jvquarterback
I would do it for recruiting purposes for BYU. The other teams would do it so they could make more money. It would definitely be better than playing TCU in Dallas and WV in DC as far as a neutral site. BYU might even have an advantage if they play a game in Honolulu each year.



Imagine if every year the first week of December BYU played in Hawaii. I'd buy a ticket out there every year. And maybe we could recruit poly's again ;).
S
SpiffCoug
jvquarterback wrote:
I would do it for recruiting purposes for BYU. The other teams would do it so they could make more money. It would definitely be better than playing TCU in Dallas and WV in DC as far as a neutral site. BYU might even have an advantage if they play a game in Honolulu each year.



Imagine if every year the first week of December BYU played in Hawaii. I'd buy a ticket out there every year. And maybe we could recruit poly's again ;).

Did you buy one this year?
Advertisement
C
Cougarbib
Too bad UH does not have a large, modern, stadium and the ability to fill it. Perhaps some good teams would want to have marquee match ups out here.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
scott715
Look at the attendance on Saturday. I don't think they would sell many tickets for 2 visiting teams.
J
jvquarterback
My partner had the week before the game off and there was no way for me to make it to the game on time so I didn't get to go to Hawaii this year. The delayed scheduling of the games is killing me. I have to schedule time off more than a year in advance usually.



The teams could make more money selling the television rights than filling the stadium. And if it were scheduled a year in advance I don't think they would have problems selling a lot of tickets. Even on short notice this year if the teams were Stanford and Alabama on Dec 3rd they would have sold plenty of tickets and they could have sold the TV rights for more than any conference championship game (doesn't the pac 12 get 20M for theirs?).
S
stuckinbig10country
And now we see the problem with this thought. The best team we could play on the first week of December is Hawaii. All other worthwhile teams have to keep that week open for a conference championship game. That is also the week of rivalry games for the big 12.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougarbib
Maybe this is the next step towards playing football in empty stadiums with global distribution in HD TV. But then why Hawaii. Think of all the savings if Universities did not need to build or maintain stadiums. Every school with 100 yards of grass could field a D1 powerhouse team.



BYU TV. No need to expand LES.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
Advertisement
J
jvquarterback
For BYU the game could be played any week of the season. No need to play the last week of Dec though they could try to get a contract to play the third or fourth place team from the one of the conferences with a conference championship game now come to think of it.



If I were UH though I'd be hosting a play-in game for the NC the first week of December. Imagine an Alabama-Stanford game a couple weeks ago. Winner plays LSU for the NC. UH, Stanford and Alabama could have made a ton of money from that.
I
IowaCougar
I could stay home and watch the Armed Forces Bowl on ESPN, and probably enjoy it. But I'm driving to Dallas and going to the game - there's nothing like being there. If I had unlimited funds, I'd try to go to all of the games. Even in Hawaii.



Good point about the advance notice. If I knew the Cougars were playing in Hawaii, I could plan a trip well in advance, maybe even getting a frequent flyer ticket.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.