Archived Topic

Turnover

by mizzoucoug · 12/21/2011

Advertisement
M
mizzoucoug
This should be the title of this 2011-2012 season so far. Unbelievable how often these guys just throw the ball away. I mean I've gotten used to the 3-ball style of play, which I hate and never think is necessary (especially with the way Noah has played). But the turnovers are a new thing this year and everyone is in on it. Wow.
C
Cougs_Rule
mizzoucoug wrote:
This should be the title of this 2011-2012 season so far. Unbelievable how often these guys just throw the ball away. I mean I've gotten used to the 3-ball style of play, which I hate and never think is necessary (especially with the way Noah has played). But the turnovers are a new thing this year and everyone is in on it. Wow.


Yes. I expect more with an up tempo team, but so many careless turnovers. A lot off bad passes.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
S
SpiffCoug
Considering we're playing two freshman at the 1 - one of whom is in just his second game - and the third play in the rotation is a walk-on who hasn't played in several years, it shouldn't be a surprise we're struggling a bit with ball control.



It is a concern though. We're averaging about 14 a game - which is a bit high (last year we were at about 10). It's still a manageable number, but I'd like to see us get it to under 12 by the end of the year.
B
BerliNY
Watching the game last night there were several times where Carlino (and others) looked out of control. Very aggressive, which I can appreciate, but out of control. How many of Carlino's fouls were offensive fouls near the top of the key? 3? This is where the NCAA's decision to keep Carlino out until December really hurts; we're two games from conference play and our starting 1 has played 2 games.



I have every confidence that Carlino will harness the aggression, I just wish we were having this conversation in early November not late December.
B
Brayden Green
Nearly all of those charges were bogus calls, the entire game.



I understand that you play the officials game, and if they are taking something away, you go away from it. But Carlino had 2 charges against him that were ludicrous calls.



And the refs actually gave a UB player the points, and called the offensive charge. I know that is something you can do, based on the rulebook, but I've never actually seen it done. Normally if you commit the foul, they wipe the points away, too.



The refs were absolutely MISERABLE last night. Both ways, for both teams.



Unbelievably bad. And as far as the turnovers go, as Spiff pointed out - there are reasons for that, and they aren't so bad right now, anyways.
Advertisement
S
SpiffCoug
I'm just glad the res were at least consistent on the charge call. Neither team adjusted to it. They usually only wipe out the points if you make contact and then shoot. It was pretty clear, at least to me, that he had led go of the ball before running into the defender.



I think the out-of-control-ness is coachable and can be eliminated.
B
Brayden Green
SpiffCoug wrote:
They usually only wipe out the points if you make contact and then shoot. It was pretty clear, at least to me, that he had led go of the ball before running into the defender.



I think the out-of-control-ness is coachable and can be eliminated.


I agree that it was the "correct" call. I've never really seen it done before. At least, I can't think of the last time they have kept the points and included the charge.



And by those same standards, Carlino had one that was a super bogus call for a charge right before the half, and (the guy slipped his foot in and out of position) by those same rules, he should have gotten those points.



It was an inconsistent call to keep the points in spite of a charge, as there was probably 5 or 6 other times during the game where the same thing happened, and they didn't keep the points. It was almost like they were trying to bail out UB a little. That, or they were just super incompetent, which I can believe.
S
SpiffCoug
The charges were consistent all night. If you drove the lane and ran into a guy who tried to draw the charge - he got the charge. Neither team adjusted to it.
G
Gunk
SpiffCoug wrote:
Considering we're playing two freshman at the 1 - one of whom is in just his second game - and the third play in the rotation is a walk-on who hasn't played in several years, it shouldn't be a surprise we're struggling a bit with ball control.



It is a concern though. We're averaging about 14 a game - which is a bit high (last year we were at about 10). It's still a manageable number, but I'd like to see us get it to under 12 by the end of the year.


I expect and am willing to live with a few turnovers at the guard. Even Jimmer had his fair share of turnovers.



What I can't get my head around is Abouo's recent disregard for ball security. He had 4 turnovers last night and 5 against Baylor and picked up 4 fouls in both games.



Contrast that to Noah, who's had 5 turnovers in the last 5 games.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
M
Mars


1- I thought the refs were decent in the Buffalo game. Not perfect, but refs never are.



2- Who plays more out-of-control, Carlino or Abouo? The main difference is that Matt should get much better by the time he is a senior.
Advertisement
G
Gunk
Mars wrote:


1- I thought the refs were decent in the Buffalo game. Not perfect, but refs never are.



2- Who plays more out-of-control, Carlino or Abouo? The main difference is that Matt should get much better by the time he is a senior.


Oh...good question. Going to have to go with Abouo. He gets that ball and starts running up the court with his head down. Needs to get the ball, secure it, take a quick peek and then decide his course of action.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
C
Cougs_Rule
Yes. Charles should be better by this point. And so should davies. he was butterfingers vs buffalo.

I did not think the refs were decent the other night unless you mean very average.

Carlino did try to split the two defenders on one of his fouls. I thought it was "too consistent" in a bad way. And though I did not watch the replay, I thought the gap between the buffalo shot first then the charge was too close to give the points.
I
IowaCougar
dmcougar wrote:
Yes. Charles should be better by this point. And so should davies. he was butterfingers vs buffalo.

I did not think the refs were decent the other night unless you mean very average.

Carlino did try to split the two defenders on one of his fouls. I thought it was "too consistent" in a bad way. And though I did not watch the replay, I thought the gap between the buffalo shot first then the charge was too close to give the points.


It was actually very clear that he shot before the foul, so the ref made the correct call. One thing I've noticed in the last few games is the refs are calling a lot more offensive fouls. To my mind, this is a good thing. For years (and more particularly in the pros) it seems that players have been lowering their shoulders and plowing into the defenders knowing that chances are the foul will be called on the defender. There may have been one or two calls in the SB game last night where the defender may have still been moving. But even on those, the player with the ball was driving in out of control.
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.