Archived Topic

5-star quarterbacks

by Sammich · 12/20/2011

Advertisement
S
Sammich
Whether you see Heap's transfer as his fault or the coaches' fault, has your faith in 5-star quarterbacks (ie. our ability to keep them due to inflated expectations or mismanagement by coaches) coming to BYU been affected at all?
F
frdbtr
Sammich wrote:
Whether you see Heap's transfer as his fault or the coaches' fault, has your faith in 5-star quarterbacks (ie. our ability to keep them due to inflated expectations or mismanagement by coaches) coming to BYU been affected at all?


Not all 5 star QB's are created equal.
S
SpiffCoug
I'm confident in BYU. Heaps is a talented QB. BYU was afraid of being patient in his development for fear of losing him. Heaps didn't want to be patient either.



In the future, I think BYU will be more patient with their QBs - regardless of "talent level."
S
Sammich
I'm inclined to agree with both of you in principle, but in practice BYU's experience with 5-star recruits (not just QBs) has been fairly consistent. Not all made it as far in the system as Heaps, but the recurring theme seems to be "BYU's just not for me," for whatever reason.
C
Cougs_Rule
Well, we'll see in 3 years. The rating systems are relative and variable. TMAngum may as well be a 5-star recruit, save the injury, exposure, etc. He is clearly in the upper echelon.

I guess so far so good: No press conference yet.
Advertisement
L
Lawboy
I want BYU to get as many 5 and 4 star kids as possible at all positions. We need elite athletes, not just elite QBs. The more, the better.
C
CougarClaw
The difference may be that we MAKE elite qb's here. If they come "pre-made" then they may not have the right attitude to get to the next level.



I seem to remember either Max or John B's. last game as a senior holding the MWC conference trophy or the Bowl trophy and telling all the underclassmen to not forget how much work it took to get where they were. Someone comes in thinking they'll win on talent alone has something coming to them.



work ethic beats talent every time.

Every single time.
S
Sammich
Lawboy wrote:
I want BYU to get as many 5 and 4 star kids as possible at all positions. We need elite athletes, not just elite QBs. The more, the better.

This is the scenario in which my faith in getting these guys will be restored a little (I'm still a little hopeful, but only a tiny bit). Because once the new recruits have the perception that they are sitting behind a bunch of super talented guys, the issues we have with management AND/OR ego will go away to some extent.
S
SpiffCoug
I think by and large the young guys who aren't playing right now ARE sitting behind super talented guys. The ones who aren't sitting ARE the super talented guys. This notion that BYU doesn't play young players, or doesn't play talented players in favor less talented guys simply isn't true.



There are PLENTY of young players playing significant minutes and plenty of upper classmen, less talented players riding the bench.
N
NorCal
My Vote is for an all "walk on" team. A bunch of slow, undersized RMs will take us to the the promised land.
Advertisement
C
CougarClaw
Yeah. Wasn't Hafoka a starting WR for us last year?



remember him?
J
jonnylingo
SpiffCoug wrote:
BYU was afraid of being patient in his development for fear of losing him. Heaps didn't want to be patient either.


Is this pure speculation or do you have that on good information?



Personally I think the coach's decision was much more complicated than simply them being afraid to be patient with Jake.



I am going to try and stay away from this topic. It has the makings of being a doooozy.
S
SpiffCoug
Hafoka has never started for BYU. He's never been a real contributor either. He has 22 career catches, 1 career rush and 1 career TD.
S
Sammich
I don't want this to become another Heaps topic, that has been hashed over enough so let's avoid that discussion. What I want to know is if BYU gets another 5-star QB next year, are you going to believe that recruit will stick around for their career, or would it really surprise you if they did?
S
SpiffCoug
jonnylingo wrote:
BYU was afraid of being patient in his development for fear of losing him. Heaps didn't want to be patient either.


Is this pure speculation or do you have that on good information?



Personally I think the coach's decision was much more complicated than simply them being afraid to be patient with Jake.



I am going to try and stay away from this topic. It has the makings of being a doooozy.

Pure speculation on my part. I've never had any information on the situation. I think it played a part. And I think it seems to fit the narrative.



It was definitely a complicated decision.
Advertisement
G
Gunk
Sammich wrote:
I don't want this to become another Heaps topic, that has been hashed over enough so let's avoid that discussion. What I want to know is if BYU gets another 5-star QB next year, are you going to believe that recruit will stick around for their career, or would it really surprise you if they did?


Yes.



BYU will do a better job of setting expectations and a better job of filtering out recruits that come with their own marketing departments.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">
M
Metallicat
I haven't lost any faith in BYU over the situation. I have learned my lesson about expectations. Fool me once (Ben Olsen), shame on you. Fool me twice (Heaps), shame on me.
Y
Y12
Gunk wrote:
I don't want this to become another Heaps topic, that has been hashed over enough so let's avoid that discussion. What I want to know is if BYU gets another 5-star QB next year, are you going to believe that recruit will stick around for their career, or would it really surprise you if they did?


Yes.



BYU will do a better job of setting expectations and a better job of filtering out recruits that come with their own marketing departments.



[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://cougarcorner.com/images/mobile.png" alt="" loading="lazy" style="max-width:100%">


The problem with the latest 5 star QB (HEAPS) was that BYU didn't have a seasoned starter established. Riley had a year in the program, but the coaches knew that in practice he was not going to be good enough for the coaches to look Jake and his parents in the eye and say, "Hey, you are great kid, but we got this older guy who is equally competent as a passer. So here is the plan ..."



Jake vs. Riley in practice was no contest. Riley didn't have any real game experience for the coaches to say, "Yeah, you out perform him in practice, but we know what he is capable of in a game, so wait your turn, you will have 3 years."



When Mangum gets back from his mission, Taysom HIll should be the established starter and no one in their right mind will expect Mangum to come in a unseat him.
S
SenorCougar
Metallicat wrote:
I haven't lost any faith in BYU over the situation. I have learned my lesson about expectations. Fool me once (Ben Olsen), shame on you. Fool me twice (Heaps), shame on me.


The big test will be Mangum. Hopefully, the expectation level will not be like the others you mentioned. If it is, there may be a "fool me three times, shame on ??" forthcoming.
S
SpiffCoug
SenorCougar wrote:
I haven't lost any faith in BYU over the situation. I have learned my lesson about expectations. Fool me once (Ben Olsen), shame on you. Fool me twice (Heaps), shame on me.


The big test will be Mangum. Hopefully, the expectation level will not be like the others you mentioned. If it is, there may be a "fool me three times, shame on ??" forthcoming.

All three of those guys are different situations. Mangum is still on "fool me once" territory. He's not Olsen, he's not Heaps.
Page 1 of 2
This is an archived topic from the original CougarCorner forum. New replies are not accepted.